Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel line route through tunnel and engine bay
jps

posted on 17/2/22 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel line route through tunnel and engine bay

I think I’ve settled on a fuel line route through the transmission tunnel, but welcome any thoughts. I’m hanging some 3mm Ali plate off the upper chassis rails (to be secured with rivets), so pipes aren’t just ‘hanging in thin air’ but I have the challenge of bringing the pipe from offside to nearside, so intend to route as shown in the following pics. Pipework will be secured by the ‘push-in’ style of clips, similar to these: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/8mm-fuel-or-brake-pipe-clips?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6BkmqSgWbwSi6pyxjO_moH8IFMrjAfXHlBMZv_ucT4PBc1F-U1eUwHKhoCKoIQA vD_BwE

Here the fuel lines will be on a shared clip with the brake line having come forward from the rear bulkhead
Description
Description

Here the fuel lines will bend 90deg left to run across above the gearbox (the brake line will run straight forward towards the pedal box area)
Description
Description

Here the fuel lines will bend 90deg right, to head into the nearside of the engine bay
Description
Description

Where the fuel lines have to turn 90 left then 90 right they will not run directly against a chassis rail, shown with the broken line in this picture, although I would have thought they are well enough shielded from anything hitting them being as they are tucked up high in the tunnel
Description
Description

Finally, in the engine bay the lines (there will be two throughout, feed and return) will run across and then down the passenger footwell bulkhead, clipped as before, and forward to the Pinto fuel pump
Description
Description

Before I push on, any pitfalls facing me?

[Edited on 17/2/22 by jps]

Deckman001

posted on 18/2/22 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
It looks like a normal route, I used 'p' clips with rubber lining for my copper fuel line, no issues from IVA at all.
Slater

posted on 18/2/22 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me, just keep the clips at the right spacing and add more close to the corners if needed. Take pics for the IVA chap as he won't be able to see them after it's covered up with your tunnel top panel.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 19/2/22 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
will your wiring loom follow the same path? so maybe some clips for that too
jps

posted on 19/2/22 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, good point about the IVA pics, I am taking loads of photos as I go, but will make doubly sure for this.

Rather than space the clips evenly I was assuming it’s better to have clips either side of a bend, then halfway along a straight length / no more than 250mm apart

My plan is for the loom to run from behind the dash into the n/s of the tunnel, and along the top rail. I will look at how I need to route it where it enters the tunnel, as it’s going to have to come in there somewhere close to the fuel line and it’d be better for them not to be interwoven I guess!

40inches

posted on 19/2/22 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I ran the brake and fuel lines either side of the tunnel, with no crossover and the wiring along the bottom.
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.