Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manufacturer's Plate
albertz

posted on 6/3/22 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Manufacturer's Plate

Hi, getting closer to IVA test now...ticking jobs off the list.

I'm a bit confused as to specifically what information i need to add to the manufacturer's plate. I have obtained a VIN from the DVLA and added that to the permanent chassis (stamped and welded in), but i am unsure of the other data plate. What info must it contain? The IVA manual seems a bit confusing.

As far as i can tell i need to include;

The VIN
The Manufacturer (do i need to use my own name or can i use something made up?)

Is everything else, like axle weights for example, optional?

Also, any recommendations on where is best to buy either a stamped or unstamped plate with the minimal information to meet the requirements. Any weblinks would be fantastic!?

obfripper

posted on 6/3/22 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
There's a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable vin plates here, along with a list of required data and its order/layout.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-ve hicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass#statutoryplates

Dave

[Edited on 6/3/22 by obfripper]

albertz

posted on 6/3/22 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave, that is really useful and not a guide i have seen before.

Just to confirm, the guide says to only include the following, and in the particular order

1. name of manufacturer
2. approval number and/or build stage (if applicable)
3. VIN
4. maximum permitted laden mass of vehicle
5. maximum train weight (if applicable)
6. maximum laden mass for each axle in order from front to rear

I believe I don't have to include all that information, and that only items 1 & 3 are mandatory, is that correct?

I assume, if my above statement is correct that i can just list the bare minimum and do not need to leave spaces or blanks for the information not included?

I was not planning stating anything for items 2, 4, 5 or 6.

Any good suppliers out there that can provide a stamped plate with just the manufacturer and VIN included?

wonderfulweasel

posted on 6/3/22 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think that’s correct. That’s all I’ve got on mine, but haven’t been to IVA yet! The info needs to be in a box too.
albertz

posted on 6/3/22 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, where are people buying their plates from? or is it a DIY job?

I've looked online, but the templates available are too detailed and have too much info as far as i can see, so keen to see where others are buying from.

thanks.

gremlin1234

posted on 6/3/22 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
I believe I don't have to include all that information, and that only items 1 & 3 are mandatory, is that correct?

I believe that is correct, but the manufacturers name should be consistent over all paperwork

wonderfulweasel

posted on 6/3/22 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine made up for me. It’s a plate of carbon fibre, etched with the info and then resin-ed over to make permanent. I’ve then diverted the plate to driver’s side bulkhead.

I can’t remember where I got it done offhand, but it was via the internet with emails to verify the design before manufacture. I could look up if you need.

Deckman001

posted on 6/3/22 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I also got mine from a supplier to our works, an engraver, it should be a permanent item, so I got a copy from the internet and printed it out and got them to do an ally engravement type. A paper printed bit stuck onto an ally sheet of metal shouldn't be accepted !!
ak

posted on 7/3/22 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
For me, it was just a small rectangle of ali plate and using a letter/number punch set from Machine Mart, neatly punched:

[Chassis Manufacturer Name] - "Tiger Racing Ltd." for me
[VIN]
[Max Permitted Laden Mass] - "850kg" for me
[Max Train Weight] - "NA" for me
[Front Axle max laden mass] - "1 - 400kg" for me
[Rear Axle max laden mass] - "2 - 450kg" for me

Scribed a rectangular box around them all to be extra sure to meet the requirement (in case they kicked a fuss with the slightly rounded corners of the ali plate)

Holes in 4 corners, sealant/adhesive on the back, rivetted to the bulkhead/scuttle on passenger side.

Passed fine (2nd time because I stupidly put my name as the manufacturer for the 1st IVA attempt!!)

----------
Tiger Avon - 2.0L Blacktop Zetec - GSXR1000 TBs - Microsquirt V3

Finallygota7

posted on 9/3/22 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, have been following this thread but one question has gone unanswered. What should you put on the Plate if you built the chassis yourself? I notice that someone said they erroneously put their own name as 'Manufacturer' on the Statutory Plate and it was a fail.
albertz

posted on 13/3/22 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
So, for homebuilt chassis cars what are people stating as the Manufacturer?

I had intended to use my own name, or maybe my initials, will that be ok? If not, what should i use?

gremlin1234

posted on 16/3/22 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
as I said above, you can use your own name, or something relevant like haynes, mnr, locost etc.
but it is important that this is constant over all paperwork

also I think they object if you put lotus, or caterham when it really isn't

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.