Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very not car related. But any cooker/oven guru's on here
rf900rush

posted on 27/3/22 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Very not car related. But any cooker/oven guru's on here

As title.
Today I was cooking the sausages, then bang went the cooker.
It was due for an upgrade soon, so repairing is not a option.

Having had a looked at the lower priced (£3-£450) units I am now convused by the reviews. most of the ones I have looked at have many issues.

I'm hoping ther may be some good advice on this forum. Hopfuly a service engineer who's has to fix these things.

Which makes are ok and one's to avoid.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/22 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
gumtree people give them away

Tbh there is very little too them and the elements are easy and cheap to replace, a few screws and a couple of wires, that's it. I've done all the oven ones and two of the cooker ones. I just bought the replacement elements off the web.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 28/3/22 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
We recently replaced ours - a freestanding electric cooker. We were toying with the idea of going for a gas hob / electric oven because our electric hob was rubbish with a wok. We ended up buying a fairly expensive (About £800) AEG cooker with an induction hob instead of gas.

Have to say the induction is brilliant, and much more powerful compared to a normal electric hob and not far off as good as gas. The wok works brilliantly on it, with the benefit being it is much easier to clean than gas.

indykid

posted on 28/3/22 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
If you're on a budget, certainly look at quality used before you look at budget new.

We bought a used Neff double oven that should have been about £900 originally for £100 when we moved into our house and it was nearly like new. We bought a similar one for my mum and dad to replace theirs (both fixed hinges, not the faffy slide under ones)

I found the higher the original price tag, the less likely it was to have been abused or really used at all. It seems people don't tend to cook much in high end kitchens. The quality of the racks, fittings and ease of disassembly for service/cleaning is something you only get if someone pays for it upfront though.

I'm not sure you'll necessarily find the same options in freestanding cookers, but it's worth a look

nick205

posted on 28/3/22 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
gumtree people give them away

Tbh there is very little too them and the elements are easy and cheap to replace, a few screws and a couple of wires, that's it. I've done all the oven ones and two of the cooker ones. I just bought the replacement elements off the web.

Recently replaced the lower element in a 7-8 year old Baumatic built in double oven. £35 for the element from the web, 3 screws and an hours effort. There's YouTube videos showing how to check the old element with a multi-meter first to verify it's knackered.

Way cheaper than replacing the oven.

Only gripe on my part, SWMBO then made me clean the lower oven. Oven cleaning's a crappy job, but still better (cheaper) than replacing it.

Works perfectly now.

If you call a white goods repair firm out they'll have a fixed call out fee + time on-site fee + parts fee + VAT. At that point replacing the oven starts looking a reasonable option. Self repair is the way to go IMHO.

gremlin1234

posted on 29/3/22 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
we could get the post more car related...

I rebuilt our kitchen some time ago, and the old oven went to the garage, to do powder coating!

hint, if powder coating, heat the parts to remove oils etc, then mask, then coat.

rf900rush

posted on 30/3/22 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

To be honest if it was an easy fix I would

The grill element at some point has got so hot it has drooped like soft plastic.

With every thing turned off it still blows fuses.

It was due for replacing anyawy , I was just putting it off to the spring.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.