Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SIM card for USA & Canada
russbost

posted on 6/8/22 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
SIM card for USA & Canada

Hi Guys,

Got a long awaited trip to Canada coming up shortly, couple of days in USA (Seattle) en route, just under 3 weeks in total

We're gonna need SIM cards with data & phone, I have an unlocked phone with 2 SIM slots, so I believe that side of things should be fine, but a quick Google search seems to throw up loads of different options, some just data, some just phone, & some combined, but all very confusing!

We want to get the card(s) b4 we leave as don't want to be faffing in a mobile phone shop when we should be on hols!

Just wondered if anyone had done something similar recently & had any recommendations for a suitable card?

Thanks for any help in advance

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 6/8/22 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
strangely I have been looking at this very recently, as my nephew will be studying in the USA for a year.
as far as I can tell, three payg allows for US roaming for short periods (c-1month)

yes all sorts of caveats, like reduced speed after ~14Gb regardless of if you are on unlimited here. and you must have used the sim here before you go.

I think for my nephew its a bit more complex because he is going for longer, so considering voip options. and a local sim.

but since you have a second card slot, I think its worth also getting a local CAN sim for data, and local calls. (and maybe even a US one too.)

hobbsy

posted on 9/8/22 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I believe with three unless you had the contract running prior to Oct last year they'll charge you £2 per day to use your allowance as per UK with the 12Gb(?) Cap gremlin mentioned.

Lebara off top of my head may only be good for Europe.

One of the networks is still offering decent roaming to new customers (EE?)

If your handset is new enough then look into eSIMs, don't need the physical SIM and can be setup before you travel iirc.

russbost

posted on 10/8/22 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I believe with three unless you had the contract running prior to Oct last year they'll charge you £2 per day to use your allowance as per UK with the 12Gb(?) Cap gremlin mentioned.

Lebara off top of my head may only be good for Europe.

One of the networks is still offering decent roaming to new customers (EE?)

If your handset is new enough then look into eSIMs, don't need the physical SIM and can be setup before you travel iirc.

Possibly should have been clearer with my original post, I don't want a UK SIM that's good for use abroad, I just want something on AT & T or similar which will work within Canada & the USA. I note that data only SIMS are available quite cheaply & if we only have a few, relatively short, phone calls to make. might be better to accept the high charges on our UK SIM (Virgin) & just use data where possible. Some calls we need to make can probably be made from hotels etc.

How do eSims work & how can I find if my handset Xiaomi note 10, will work with one?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hobbsy

posted on 10/8/22 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.google.com/search?q=Xiaomi+note+10+esim&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sxsrf=ALiCzsbRVxDPcQOd9hXUnhwXBoNJH5d9pw%3A1660117526584 &ei=FmLzYoChI52ShbIPlfe-yAM&oq=Xiaomi+note+10+esim&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFjIICAAQHhAWEAoyBggA EB4QFjIGCAAQHhAWMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFkoECEEYAFB3WNoBYP8IaABwAXgBgAHVAYgByAWSAQUwLjIuMpgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Eurg link. But you get the idea.

Just Google model name with esim after it

russbost

posted on 10/8/22 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Xiaomi+note+10+esim&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sxsrf=ALiCzsbRVxDPcQOd9hXUnhwXBoNJH5d9pw%3A1660117526584 &ei=FmLzYoChI52ShbIPlfe-yAM&oq=Xiaomi+note+10+esim&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFjIICAAQHhAWEAoyBggA EB4QFjIGCAAQHhAWMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFkoECEEYAFB3WNoBYP8IaABwAXgBgAHVAYgByAWSAQUwLjIuMpgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Eurg link. But you get the idea.

Just Google model name with esim after it

Hmmm, seems like by the time you add the cost of an eSIM card to convert your existing phone to eSIM, it's just going to add to the overall cost, I had no knowledge of the existence of eSIM!! (I know, dinosaur!). I can see it's use for lots of travel to different countries, but don't think it particularly works in this instance for me - I will check out comparative prices though as I do travel quite a lot (when actually allowed to ....)

hobbsy

posted on 10/8/22 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah the fact you've got a dual SIM handset makes it less necessary for you.

Can usually grab local SIMs at the airport arrivals from kiosks or vending machines

Or just a local mobile store (did this in Spain recently, 10euros for a month and 15GB, worked a lot quicker than my UK SIM roaming, poss just because it was a different network). Idea was if the shutters come down more on UK EU roaming this would cover me and can just load it up via their website to reactivate when needed etc.

russbost

posted on 10/8/22 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah the fact you've got a dual SIM handset makes it less necessary for you.

Can usually grab local SIMs at the airport arrivals from kiosks or vending machines

Or just a local mobile store (did this in Spain recently, 10euros for a month and 15GB, worked a lot quicker than my UK SIM roaming, poss just because it was a different network). Idea was if the shutters come down more on UK EU roaming this would cover me and can just load it up via their website to reactivate when needed etc.

From everything I'm reading online it would appear USA/Canada don't seem to conform to that model, various travel logs are saying much cheaper to buy in advance online, I just want to be a bit more certain of exactly what I need to buy!

gremlin1234

posted on 10/8/22 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

three payg seem to be much more attractive for roaming than the 'contract' offers. note that £2 per day is europe, its £5 for usa! - but their website is too confusing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.