Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: voltage stabiliser
PAULD

posted on 7/4/23 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
voltage stabiliser

I am using the instrument cluster from a 82 cortina and the fuel and temp gauges are wandering about. I suspect the voltage stabiliser. Does anyone know if they are replaceable and can recommend one.
Prof_Cook

posted on 7/4/23 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Voltage Regulator for Cortina

They appear to be replaceable - reading the following linked page shows someone had "similar" problem and solved by buying a solid state replacement: https://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/57607-temp-and-fuel-gauge-reading-half-on-ignition/

Unfortunately I dont know what your current regulator is so cant assist in finding a replacement or a stockist.

[Edited on 7/4/23 by Prof_Cook]

obfripper

posted on 7/4/23 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
The standard ford gauges use a 5v regulator, the following link shows an original mk5 cortina regulator which internally uses an 7805 3 pin regulator.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321989014551

Check all the solder joints for dry joints, there is a diode which can be tested with a multimeter, and a capacitor which if not bulged should be ok.

If all that looks in order, the 7805 is likely to be kaput and is easily replaceable for a couple quid.
If you were bothered you could replace all components (again only a couple quid on ebay) , the diode is likely to be replaceable with a 1n4001 diode, and the capacitor would need to be id'd but is likely 40-50v and 330nF , there may be a 0.1nF cap on the regulated output, but can't see it on the above listing pictures.

Dave

PAULD

posted on 8/4/23 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, thats what I need to know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.