Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Voltage Stabiliser
russbost

posted on 10/10/23 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Voltage Stabiliser

Hi Guys

Just sorting the wiring on an old kitcar (Cortina wiring loom) which has a voltage stabiliser which I suspect is inop - is there any easy way to test, IIRC they create 5V by intermittently breaking the 12V feed which makes it impossible to test with a "normal" everyday multimeter.

I've tried earthing the wire from the fuel sender unit which I would expect to send the fuel gauge to full & no reaction, but I don't actually know if either the fuel or temp gauges work either!

I can buy an adjustable, solid state voltage stabiliser for peanuts off Ebay, but would that work as it doesn't function in the same way (just seems like it would be a much more sophisticated & more reliable way to stabilise voltage)

I can buy a replacement for the original for around £15, but don't want to purchase only to find I've not cured the problem!

Re wiring, I assume I am correct that the case is earthed, 12v is fed into either terminal & the other goes to the gauge - is it imortant which terminal is fed - I can't find any info on - the Cortina manual I have just shows it as part of the instrument cluster, hence no wiring ID & doesn't mention the voltage stabiliser anywhere so far as I can see!

Grateful for any info

TIA, Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
PAULD

posted on 10/10/23 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cortina instrument panel and loom on my locost. When the fuel gauge went haywire i bought an ebay one but on inspection the ford one had several cracks in the soldering. i resoldered it, put a 12v supply on and it read 5 volts. on reassembly it worked fine but after a while it has failed again. You might have the same problem and could well do a better job of repair.
PAULD

posted on 10/10/23 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can see how it is wired in my haynes manual.
russbost

posted on 12/10/23 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Oops! Didn't realise I'd duplicated the post - please see other post, more info on there!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.