Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring the Lights questions
Fred W B

posted on 17/10/23 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring the Lights questions

I’m at the stage of roughing in a wiring harness. All toggle switches on dash and separate tell-tale lights.
I have a 3 position switch (off/on/on) I want to use for the dip and bright headlights.

I want to keep each circuit simple.

So do I:
From the 3 way switch position one, wire to a relay and then the dip headlights. Take output from switch also to green tell-tale light.
From the 3 way switch position two, wire to another relay and then the bright headlights. Take output from switch also to blue tell-tale light.

I’m thinking to wire the instrument lights through a separate toggle switch so I can have them on without the headlights, if that might be desired.

Where do I take the feed for the taillights from? A feed from both the dip headlights relay and the bright headlights relay? So they are on no matter which headlights are on.
A cheat might be to wire them from the instruments toggle switch?

Regards

Fred W B

gremlin1234

posted on 17/10/23 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
the usual way for wiring light is
a 2 position switch,

off:
on: 'side lights' -(front and read quarter markers), instrument panel, and feed to headlamps

then a second switch, this time 3 position

off:
1: dip
2: beam (and its tell-tail)

add relays as desired.
if using led headlights you probably don't need relays

don't forget in UK/europe you also need rear fog.

[Edited on 17-10-2023 by gremlin1234]

adithorp

posted on 17/10/23 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget you might/will need to toggle between main back to dip quickly. In your proposed set-up, you could easily switch the lights off foing that.

I have a 3 position switch that goes, off / side (front+rear) / side and headlights. Then I have a separate on/on switch to toggle the headlight feed (from the first switch) to either dip or main beam.

Fred W B

posted on 18/10/23 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for responses, I hadn't considered the pitfall on the 3 way switch mentioned.

regards

Fred W B

nick205

posted on 18/10/23 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Are Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) a consideration as well now?

i.e. are vehicles supposed to have them fitted and working to meet current regulations.

They weren't when I built and SVA'd my MK Indy a long while back, but I don't know what the current rules are.

ReMan

posted on 20/10/23 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know why you'd ever want the instrument lights on without either the side or main lights so remove that complication. In fact it could be seen as bad practice for them not to come on with the lights?
Why would you not have a column mounted main/dip switch? In practice you don't want too be fumbling around in the dark so to speak, to quickly change whilst driving and as did, not risk killing all lights!!

nick205

posted on 24/10/23 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Deffo have the dip control on a stalk!

Once you're harnessed in you probably won't be able to reach the dash to reach a switch. I know I couldn't and I know many others can't/couldn't in their cars.

Make driving and controling the lights as easy and foolproof as you can.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.