Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Economy...
pdw709

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Economy...

What sort of MPG are you guys getting from your BEC's? I hav'nt done the calculation myself because I don't have a working fuel gauge, but judging from the rate that the fuel is dissapearing from the tank via a visual inspection then i'm not getting much more than 20-25mpg. Is this normal?
Brooky

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
yeah pretty much, i stopped working it out cos it upsets me too much . Just have fun in it !
shortie

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I noticed that mine seems to enjoy a good drink!! Right foot down = more juice so it's a bad combination in a BEC!
Hellfire

posted on 1/9/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right to me too... make the most of it, trackdays you'll return much less.

Hellfire

posted on 1/9/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
BTW - Which bike engine?

pdw709

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
BTW - Which bike engine?

CBR1000 Engined Striker.

Not the most powerful engine, but with a kerb weight of 398Kg the 130bhp is fast enough for me. I'll probably be sticking with it for the short term until it blows up or needs replacing. In which case I may think of somthing a bit more potent (fireblade/R1/hyabusa or something !)

One thing is for certain i'll be sticking to a bike engine - I dont think a car engine could match the experience!

Phil

jimgiblett

posted on 1/9/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I got 20mpg on track and 30+ on the road out of my carbed R1. Funnilly on trips I have found that I am more economical than my my mates in their furyblades. May be because of not being quite so hard on the pedal at similar speeds?
wilkingj

posted on 1/9/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Wow!! those BEC's are quite good on the fuel.

My petrol Landy did 15 Mpg solo, and 9Mpg with a caravan on the back, and 0-60 in about half hour. ie Flat out at 60.
That one was 35 years old (and fully rebuilt)

My Diesel everyday Landy does 26mpg solo, and 22mpg with the Caravan. Tows at 70mph+ all day, which I dont think is too bad for a rig weighing in at nearly 4 tons.
This one is a youngster at 21 years old, and I have had it for 11 years and done 100k miles in it. Its now totalling 189K miles and still going strong.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 1/9/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Blades seem quite economical overall, certainly my blade engine was more economical than the injected R1 is, although thats to be expected as it is 30bhp+ extra and isnt properly mapped yet (using a map from another R1 BEC).
On the road I used to get around 30-35mpg with the blade, and even 25mpg or so on track. The R1 from early experiences is around 5-10mpg below both those figures. Still, its better than a Busa, a friend's Megabusa used to go through almost twice as much fuel on a trackday as my blade did

Peteff

posted on 1/9/05 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tows at 70mph+ all day

Did you mean 60, it's been pointed outsomewhere that you can be prosecuted for incriminating yourself and that is over the legal limit for towing . Probably meant on a private road.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bimbleuk

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Striker with 20V 4AGE fitted (injected).

low 30s on the road. No fuel gauge the last time I was on track but I guess I'd rather not know anyway!

I'm going to fit the lambda sensor and run closed loop on light throttle to see if it improves the mpg.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.