Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlights doing funny things...
pdw709

posted on 5/9/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights doing funny things...

Last night I noticed that my headlights have stopped working. I say stopped, but they are doing funny things.....

When I have them turned on with the engine, they are very faint. When I turn the engine off they remain faint, until eventually they dim and go out. They then refuse to light up whilst the engine is turned off.

Wierd. Any ideas?

Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 5/9/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd start off by checking for bad joints, and particularly for bad earths.

If you've used a relay for the headlights then I'd consider swapping it for another.

If you didn't use a relay then I'd check the switch! (Sierra column switches don't have much current carrying capacity - they were designed for relays originally, I believe).

David

Hellfire

posted on 5/9/05 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
AS DJ says really... sounds like a bad earth or switch that's burnt out if you haven't used relays.

It initially sounded like a battery fault but if your engine starts ok then that can be ruled out.

First things first:

1. Earth Straps specifically related to headlights. Make sure all clean and well connected.
  2. Switch contacts - check integrity
  3. Relay function (if used)

Nice car BTW!!!

[Edited on 5-9-05 by Hellfire]

pdw709

posted on 5/9/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

Sounds like its must be either the Relay or the Earth. I'll have a closer look tonight.

Cheers

Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 5/9/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
BTW: If it helps, it sounds like you have a "nearly connection" somewhere - something that seems to be conducting OK, but goes high-resistance due to dirt or similar.

I would look for a loose connector (it's on, but can be pulled off easily), a badly-made spade connector, a relay that's gone 'light' on the contacts, or switch in the same state.

You might get good results when testing with a meter or small test bulb, but not find this kind of thing - look for good mechanically sound joints.

Have fun!
David

tom_loughlin

posted on 5/9/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
something that made my headlights very odd was the earth above the light switch - where there are 23 spade connectors perpendicular to each other - the one closest to the hazard switch is the heasdlights, the other is wipers unless im mistaken.

it was a long time till i found that out - but such a good feeling when everything works ok.

Just got back from my first night drive, bit foggy, but made it a little more interesting.

Tom

Peteff

posted on 5/9/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
After it had been out in the rain my hazard switch illuminates the ignition and oil lights. I'd thought of calling in an exorcist.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.