Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Red tape
muzz

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Red tape

Quick moan. I'm well and truely p***ed off. I finished my Mk at the end of June bar the dash which i ordered at the beginning of July. Applied for SVA at Beverley on 6th July and got a date for the end of July. However the dash wasn't made on time and i had to cancel and rebook. Couldn't get a date till the end of August. Then failed on bits and bats that i didn't have time to do due to being late after following their directions which sent me on a 10 mile detore around Beverley. In the mean time i had tried to ring DVLA on numerous occasions to book an inspection but had been told it had to be SVAd first. Booked the earliest retest possible which was this Tuesday. So i took a day off work and took all the paperwork into Leeds office hoping to speak to the inspector and speed up registration. However i was told she would ring me to book an appointment to come and see me. So now i have a £7000 SVAd car that i still can't use. Got a call today from Leeds VRO saying the earliet appointment was 29th September and it would then take a further week to register. This means the registration process will have taken as long as the build. I asked the inspector if i would still have to tax it due to the fact that it was going to be autumn by then and she said i couldn't register it without taxing it, but could then get the tax refunded if i wanted to. What a farce ! (Sorry for the spellings too mad to spell check)
john_p_b

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
can't understand why they'd tell you it needed to be sva'd before they would carry out a build inspectionas that kinda defeats the whole object of a build inspection?

if you don't think you'll get to use it this year seeing as you'll be looking 2nd week in october before it's registered then can't you just get all the paper work sorted out and leave it til march or april then register it etc?

i was gonna do that with mine but when it passed yesterday i just couldn't resist getting the plates and tax and getting out in it so it'll be hard to not register it.

muzz

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Might just stick some plates on it. Ive driven to Beverley and back twice with no plates and not been puled
shortie

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Most DVLA offices you can take the car to them as apposed to them coming to you, ask them if you can do this.

Very common to have to wait until after SVA for an inspection, typical goverment buearecracy.

Rich.

stevebubs

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muzz
Quick moan. I'm well and truely p***ed off. I finished my Mk at the end of June bar the dash which i ordered at the beginning of July. Applied for SVA at Beverley on 6th July and got a date for the end of July. However the dash wasn't made on time and i had to cancel and rebook. Couldn't get a date till the end of August. Then failed on bits and bats that i didn't have time to do due to being late after following their directions which sent me on a 10 mile detore around Beverley. In the mean time i had tried to ring DVLA on numerous occasions to book an inspection but had been told it had to be SVAd first. Booked the earliest retest possible which was this Tuesday. So i took a day off work and took all the paperwork into Leeds office hoping to speak to the inspector and speed up registration. However i was told she would ring me to book an appointment to come and see me. So now i have a £7000 SVAd car that i still can't use. Got a call today from Leeds VRO saying the earliet appointment was 29th September and it would then take a further week to register. This means the registration process will have taken as long as the build. I asked the inspector if i would still have to tax it due to the fact that it was going to be autumn by then and she said i couldn't register it without taxing it, but could then get the tax refunded if i wanted to. What a farce ! (Sorry for the spellings too mad to spell check)

Go elsewhere

DarrenW

posted on 7/9/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im 6 - 8 weeks away from applying for SVA. I wrote to local DVLA yesterday, got phone call today, booked build up inspection for week Monday. Couldnt have been easier so far. Inspector is going to go through the forms as well with me. She has been extremely helpful in explaining what i need to get age related.

Im sorry that you have had such a bad experience. Dont put false plates onto an unregistered car. That is a bigger offence than not being taxed and you will get book thrown after you when you get caught. Id try and arrange to take it to them first.

MikeR

posted on 7/9/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
here's a problem tho - you're car can have passed the SVA so be suitable for the road but Brum SVA centre won't let you drive it to them !!!!!!!!!!
donut

posted on 8/9/05 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem although they were alot quicker about coming out to see the car and getting the paperwork sorted. If the people doing the paperwork go on holiday then it gets left till they get back and seeing as you are doing it this summer i expect that's what happened.

I know its frustrating but it will be worth the wait!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coovey

posted on 8/9/05 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Worcester office don't want to kmow until after SVA either

Dusty

posted on 8/9/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
This was recently checked with DVLA Swansea and the build up inspection is perfectly in order prior to SVA. If anyone is refused by the jobsworth in your local DVLA ask them to pretty please ring Swansea and check the regulations.
rusty nuts

posted on 8/9/05 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Had to drive mine to Peterborough DVLA to get it inspected and registered but then had to wait a week for the tax disc to arrive because the inspector forgot to put on stamp .
MikeR

posted on 8/9/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
you where allowed to drive it ???????

interesting!

indykid

posted on 8/9/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
just a couple of questions muzz.

have you got a chassis no?
if so, where from?
how did you approach the initial reagistration process?

i dealt with leeds, and was told under no circumstances could i submit my own chassis no. this meant that to be eligible to pass the sva test, i had to have a chassis no, which was issued by hilary armstrong iirc, who i'd guess is the same 'woman' you'll be dealing with, and did the built up inspection at the same time. she then gave me a chassis no, and an authenticity letter to get stamped by a garage once it was done, along with sva application form. once sva was passed, went to the leeds office, gave them the paperwork, and was sorted.

just trying to get my head around how one office can treat 2 people so differently, within the space of a couple of months. when will they sort their act out?
tom

and then there was the mot that i had to have

Petemate

posted on 8/9/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
and then there was the mot that i had to have

Indykid
Bit late now I know, but I had the same thing at Oxford, when they sent a letter with the chassis no & requirements for reg. I turned up after the SVA and demanded it be sorted out, and the official grudgingly contacted Swansea, and came back saying "sorry, you're right. Swansea says no MOT on ANY newly built kit for three years following SVA. This is both for new AND age-related kits.
Also, to all and sundry - regarding built-up insp prior to SVA - if a kit (Robin Hood, to name but one) is sold without a chassis number, a built-up insp is not only in order prior to SVA, it ensures the reg process is quick after SVA, in my case the same day.
HTH others....
Pete

muzz

posted on 9/9/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mk gave me my chassis number when i bought the kit, so i could apply for Sva quicker. With my last Mk which i built about 2 years ao a lad came out from Leeds and did the inspection and gave me a chassis number prior to Sva. This made it quicker to register after Sva as i didnt need an inspection, but slower to apply for Sva because i couldnt send the applicartion off until i had the chassis number. Swings and roundabouts i suppose. I think ive just been unlucky with the inspectors holidays.
Aboardman

posted on 10/9/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
when i used preston for the registration they told me will not come out as they do not have the man power. you can only take the car to them and it must not be driven. however a bit of pleading and they said if you drive it here what can i do.

Also when i contracted swansea re mot as my road tax was due and the renewal says mot required they said i had to have a mot as it was a Q plate and this after a sva last year.

regards

Andrew

DarrenW

posted on 12/9/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
just a couple of questions muzz.

have you got a chassis no?
if so, where from?
how did you approach the initial reagistration process?

I wrote a letter to Stockton and proposed a chassis number. Letter went in post one afternoon. I got call next day (very fast), they confirmed chassis number was OK to use and we arranged build up inspection for 2 weeks time.

Stockton couldnt be more helpful so far. She is even going to bring out the forms and take me thro' them so i fill them in correctly. Donor log book is OK for reciept, it doesnt even matter that the engine ive used isnt on the donor log book (it is a sierra donor and pinto injection engine tho so).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.