Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weird Headlight Problem...
pdw709

posted on 25/7/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Weird Headlight Problem...

Well its MOT time and i've finally got to sort out my headlights - After only using the car in daylight hours this has been put off for rather too long!

Basically I cannot get my main headlights/full beam to work, only its rather strange.

Turning them on with no keys in the ignition I can get a weak light just by flicking the fog lights on! Yet when I turn on the ignition they go out.

Am I correct in assuming that this is likely to be a short circuit somewhere? Or could it be the headlight relay? If so how would I know or be able to test the relay?

Any thoughts?

Phil

ReMan

posted on 25/7/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Any more clues?
Does dip beam work ? Did main ever work? Does the fog light work when switched on normally?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

russbost

posted on 25/7/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a poor earth on the fog/headlights

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ReMan

posted on 25/7/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Sounds like a poor earth on the fog/headlights

I tend to aggree
Was looking for a bitmore evidence to support it........

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Hellfire

posted on 26/7/06 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto... though could be a relay wired incorrectly.

pdw709

posted on 26/7/06 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure that the relay is wired correctly as the headlights used to work fine.

I'll check the earth connection tonight.

Many thanks

Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/06 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
You might get more suggestions for fixing the problem if you asked in "electrical".

David

BTW: My vote is for either a bad earth, or a loose/corroded connection.

John Bonnett

posted on 26/7/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I may not be great on springs but I am not too bad on earths and I am 99% sure that you have an earth problem here. Your headlights are earthing back through other components. Headlights draw a fair current so the earth must be able to carry that load. So I think the answer is to renew your headlight earths and fit to a terminal screwed into the chassis.

I hope that solves it.

Cheers

John

pdw709

posted on 26/7/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
S O R T E D !!!

Great, thanks for all the advice......it was indeed a loose earth terminal. Funny thing is that I had checked this particular connection before, visually is looked fine. I just happened to touch it with a screwdriver and it sparked and voila.

I've replaced the terminal screw and all is now fine. I can't believe the amount of trouble that this little loose wire has coursed!!!!!!!

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.