Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ball Joint nut stuck and it just turns
ditchlewis

posted on 6/8/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ball Joint nut stuck and it just turns

I've been removing the top wish bones and one of the joints is stuck. the nut on the bottom just turns.

I've used the splitter tool to apply pressure but it still turns.

what can i do?

do i have to cut the shaft above the mushroom?

Ditch

Danozeman

posted on 6/8/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have u got any big sliding grips??

If so try and hold them tight together to jam the taper while u undo.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ditchlewis

posted on 6/8/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Would large G clamps work?

problem is that i've removed the wish bone and it is loose on the hub.

Ditch

DIY Si

posted on 6/8/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've found jacking the car up and removing this nut first is often best, or as said, clamping it in place.
ed_crouch

posted on 6/8/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is a real sod of a job!

you can do it like this. Buy a NUT splitter of the appropriate size to fit the thread of the balljoint taper. Basically you have to screw it into the thread on the balljoint (damaging the thread), and counterhold the balljoint spindle with it, and undo the nut with a spanner. When the nut unscrews far enough to interfere with the nut splitter, remove the nut splitter and clamp it above the nut, and spin the nut all the way off.

THIS WILL DAMAGE THE BALLJOINT THREAD, but sometimes theres bugger all else that works. I never found that clamping the taper back together gave enough friction to remove stubborn nuts.

Ive got a set of draper ones, and they work quite well for that sort of job. Total shite for splitting nuts, but hey...

Hope this helps.

Ed.
P.S. I should add that if you are careful with the application of said nut splitter, you may not danage the thread significantly. Normally, its just a bit of crap in the thread which means that the nut is just a little more than finger tight. So, if careful, the balljoint MAY live again!

P.P.S. I am assuming that you will be replacing the joint?

[Edited on 6/8/06 by ed_crouch]

[Edited on 6/8/06 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/8/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
How about using a small ratchet strap and pulling the top bone down against the bottom bone. This will put the pressure back onto the balljoint and lock it allowing you to remove the nut.
Gunner1

posted on 7/8/06 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of ideas

Try tapping the bottom of the ball joint to force it into the taper more, then a spritz of penetrating oil on the treads only,
Gently try turning the nut evenly using a box end wrench without breaking the bond in the taper.
Or/and instead of the penetrating oil, apply heat to the nut only before trying to turn it.
If you have overnight, try a bit of vinigar and water into the taper and leave it outside (rust happens), then repeat above as it will have a bit of grit in there to hold the taper.
If that fails, give yourself a healthy dose of scotch, and use a hack saw, the problem will be resolved before you know it and you can move on....

Good luck!

Al

zetec7

posted on 7/8/06 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Even penetrating oil may let it spin. Try spray brake cleaner - it will remove ALL traces of lubricants, and should give enough stick to let you undo the nut. I've tried this twice, both times successful. If you have an impact wrench, use this at the same time. The sudden twisting (instead of steady turning pressure) is often enough to spin the nut off....and doesn't damage the threads or the nut.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadboy

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Small angle grinder with cutting blade & chop the end off, fit new ball joint, job done.
HTH
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
As Ed says use a nut splitter. but split the nut with it.

Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 7/8/06 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

NS Dev

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
CAREFULLY hacksaw the nut downwards near to but not quite touching the threads. Do this in a couple of positions and then carefully chisel the remnants of the nut off. This should leave the balljoint intact and just in need of a new nut.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ditchlewis

posted on 7/8/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunatly the nut splitter idea is a bit of a non starter as the nut is up inside the mushroom insert that MK supply for the sierra upright. is it possible to get a nut splitter with one open side, shaped like a capital G?

the ball joint is already ruined as the rubber seal has been mullered by me.

Looks like a hack saw then..

many thanks

Ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.