Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lowering Gas Strut Pressure?
RazMan

posted on 8/8/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Lowering Gas Strut Pressure?

I want to use some gas struts / dampers to control the movement of my middy's rear section - the sort of thing you find on most hatch backs and boot lids.
The trouble is that they all have very strong pressure rate and will distort the bodywork.

I need to lower the pressure and let some gas out - is it possible?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
can't see how maybe there are some designed for other applications other than for cars which may be more suitable? - struggling to think of any though

how about a spring system? most cars used to use a lever and spring system for the boot lids - a trip to the scrappies to have a look at some?

Cheers

MArk

mookaloid

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
here you go

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/

google

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've fitted them to stuff at work and they have a tiny Allen bleed screw at one end.
I think we get them from RS.

Some of the car ones are pre set and don't have this screw.

If you find adjustable ones only let a small amount out at a time.

hth

Paul G

mookaloid

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
or this

http://www.gasstrutengineering.co.uk/index.php?page=products&pid=8

zetec7

posted on 9/8/06 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think I'd try reducing the gas pressure - some of them have a LOT of pressure in them - a grave (sic) safety risk!! The best thing to do would be to put a piece of alloy to spread the load over a larger surface area, or get special ones with low pressure to start with...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gunner1

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, rathar than a strut, what about a simple bellcrank and spring, or even a wound spring on a rod, or torsion rod and a catch to hold the rear hatch down.
lighter, simpler.....

Gunner1

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, rathar than a strut, what about a simple bellcrank and spring, or even a wound spring on a rod, or torsion rod and a catch to hold the rear hatch down.
lighter, simpler.....

RazMan

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the links - I already had a look at their prices so decided to find a Locost solution!

Spreading the load is a valid point but I still need a weaker pressure as the ones I have are so powerful they are scary!

I will have a look at my local scappy and see if he has anything with a weaker pressure - even a totally knackered pair with next to no pressure would be ok as I really only need them as a movement limiter rather than a 'lift assister'. A mechanical version like the sliding bonnet stays would be ok ...

but the gas struts are so compact I will persist for a while.

I was thinking about trying to slide a pin down the seal to allow some gas to escape but I agree that it could be a bit risky!

[Edited on 9-8-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Nick Skidmore

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Albert Jaggers in Walsall, W.Mids sell them really cheap and you can specify open / close lengths and ram force in Newtons so if you do a bit of maths you can tell them what you want.

I thought that type of strut was a fortune until I spoke to them, the ones I wanted were about £7!!

They are a trade only place but if you go to the counter with a made up name they never ask any questions.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RazMan

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
LOL - Just did a Google search for them and discovered that Noddy Holder used to work there!

Thanks Nick - I will give them a try.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 9/8/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Top company is Jaggers! - £13 each and with a low pressure of 50 Newtons which should be ideal! £8 carriage but at least I don't have to go North of Watford (can't find my passport anyway)

Sorted

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.