Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Final Engine Choice..... Or Is It ?
Kosmo

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Final Engine Choice..... Or Is It ?

I'm ready to place an order for my Striker chassis etc....however I still have not decided on what engine to choose?
Originally it was going to be a 4-AGE engine, then it was a pinto or xflow, then Zetec and now it's a bike engine.

I have no experience with bike engines and this is my 1st build so I don’t want it to be too difficult.

My final questions are concerns are below and would appreciate your help and comments -

1) What bike engine would be preferable ? I would like to have a 0-60 of about 4 secs !
2) What parts from the bike do I require for the build ?
3) Do you use the standard carbs/TB's and what is preferred ?
4) What ECU is required ?
5) Are bike engines difficult to integrate with the loom supplied for the Striker ?
6) What age bike engine is recommended, are there restrictions due to emissions ?
7) What are the most commons problems I will come up against ?

I feel this may turn into a bit of a challenge between CEC and BEC builders, if all you CEC builders want to defend car engines feel free, may be I'll change my mind again !!!

Cheers,
Kosmo

fesycresy

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
1. R1

2. Engine (), loom / ecu, throttle bodies or carbs / coil packs / relays / rectifier / clocks / clock loom.

Just buy a motor with all running gear.

3. As it comes with the bike

4. Again, bike ecu

5. Don't even buy a loom from striker, just extend the bike loom

6. I would say 02/03, but a carb'd version wouldn't need a power commander

7. SVA emmissions !

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

02GF74

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kosmo
Originally it was going to be a 4-AGE engine, then it was a pinto or xflow, then Zetec and now it's a bike engine.

firstly cross out the pinto rom the list. from the list I would either got for zetec or 4-age.

ok, so you want a bike engine. they are a bit more complicated and there is not such a wealth of knowlege on their fitment when compared to car engines (all the above) and there are many different ones to choose from.

having said that, if you wallet is big enough, those problems can be overcome.

re: SVA - someone suggested pre 95 but I can't see why you can't a ery recent one with TB but you would need to megasquirt it (DIY efi system). unless you have some understanding of electronics, you will find it hard but there is a wealth of free knowlege (here and MS site) plus you could alwyas pay someone to do the tricky stuff.

so don't be put off but start looking for that bike engine now - zzr 1400

MikeRJ

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
re: SVA - someone suggested pre 95 but I can't see why you can't a ery recent one with TB but you would need to megasquirt it (DIY efi system). unless you have some understanding of

Pre-95 is suggested because you then have no requirement for a catalytic converter. The SVA will perform a much stricter emmisions test on post 95 engines which would normaly require a cat to pass.

Hellfire

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Its good to see you're coming around to the idea of bike engines.

Regardless of your experience with bike engines, you'll probably find they are easier to install than most car engines and the same goes for most of the common bike engines.

I wouldn't be too concerned about emissions at SVA and certainly wouldn't let it affect the choice of engine. I don't know anyone who hasn't passed SVA with a bike engine. It is a bit more difficult and there is some additional expense involved such as a CAT but it is minimal. If you have a tight budget however, then it would make sense to go for a pre August 95 engine. Personally, if it's pre 95, I'd go for either ZX9R or Fireblade but would lean towards the Fireblade for ease and simplicity of installation.

Post 95, I'd probably go for the R1 engine. There are more powerful engines than the R1 but for performance/£'s, the R1 takes some beating.

Hope that helps but whichever you decide, try and get a ride in both a CEC and a BEC before making your decision. BEC's aren't for girls

Phil

Moorron

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
where abouts in telford are u mate, if u need to have a closer look at a pre 95 BEC u can have a ganders at mine, alltho i didnt build it, i would say a BEC is easier than a CEC, its all in one lump to start off with. Aslong as u get the whole kit (wiring) then its really easy. ive had mine apart and its just a couple of connections into the main loom to get it running.

i would go for an R1 if i was going to build one at this time. But the older engines are still fine to use (my CBR1000F is still silly quick with ONLY 130 ish BHP).

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

pdw709

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed with the last post.

The CBR1000F is an incrediably cheap engine (circa £300), is as strong as an ox, loads of torque (relatively speaking for a bike engine) and still pumps out 130bhp. I installed a replacement engine in my Striker over a single weekend.

Given that my finished Striker weights 398Kg, even 130bhp makes it a scary proposition.

Phil

yorkshire-engines

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Lads ZZR 1400 sold today look out for a rapid Wallace and Grommet lookalike van soon to be on the roads (honest)
Kosmo

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments, almost certain to go for a bike engine and most likely to be a R1 !

I'll take my chances with the emissions and cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm sure I'll be back with loads more questions.

Thanks Again,
Kosmo.

Hellfire

posted on 23/9/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice of engine and good luck with the build.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.