Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: multi-media solution for home?
nick205

posted on 27/11/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
multi-media solution for home?

I'm going mad here

I'm trying to find a multi-media soultion for home that won't break the bank, will give good sound and a decent user interface - sounds easy right?

At the minute I have the following...

Wireless network running from my ADSL modem/router with 2 laptops connected. Also have an external USB hard drive for back-ups.

Seperates HiFi system - Amp, CD, turntable, analougue Tuner and 4GB IPOD mini. It's getting on a bit, but still gives excellent sound.

CRT TV, PVR and DVD player - although the TV is about to be replaced with an LCD screen (probably Toshiba).

I've already spent the time to get all my CDs on the laptop as MP3s (30GB) and I'm planning to try and convert my vinyl to MP3 as well.

I've looked at the Phillips WACS system, Sonos system and various dedicated multimedia PCs (Sony Vaio). Trouble is they all seem to be a compromise in some way - either sound quality or the actual user interface itself.

What are other paople doing / using?

I guess my ideal would be a central "server" on a network and some kind of device(s) that would stream music to my HiFi, laptops and other rooms eventually.

Hellfire

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe its a rumour but Microsoft is trialing a flat screened 7.1 surround sound DVD system with Xbox 360 and integral WiFi capabilities. It has a pull out drawer that houses it's keyboard for the PC experience.

At the moment it's typically doing a bluey!

Trouble is they don't want anyone to copy it so it'll never get off the ground.

But then again - maybe that's what they want, not what they can do! But its on its way no doubt...

Steve

pdw709

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you are wanting a decent system for the sound portion of your setup then I would recomend looking at Roku's Soundbridge.

This is basically a networked music player that can play music wirelessy streamed off your PC or NAS (Networked Storage Device). You mention not wanting to compromise on audio quality but then you say you are playing MP3's!

MP3's (as indeed any other lossy codecs) are cr*p. Given that you should only be ripping "once" then make sure that its in a true LOSSLESS format such as WMA Lossless or FLAC. You will then get perfect CD quality on playback and you will always have a high quality orginal format to later copy to MP3 if you need to.

Given the relative cheapness of hard disk space then you should ONLY be looking at lossless compression.

Hope this helps

Phil

MikeR

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
xbox360 can access media content from an XP media centre or XP Visa machine.

seems like the solution you want to me.

Wireless remote as well.....

(also believe it can play games)

gingerprince

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Squeezebox?

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id= 1036

chriscook

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
My brother has got a squeeze box and is happy with it.
Hellfire

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdw709
You mention not wanting to compromise on audio quality but then you say you are playing MP3's!

MP3's (as indeed any other lossy codecs) are cr*p. Given that you should only be ripping "once" then make sure that its in a true LOSSLESS format such as WMA Lossless or FLAC. You will then get perfect CD quality on playback and you will always have a high quality orginal format to later copy to MP3 if you need to.

Phil

Not all compressed formats are cr*p - .ogg is a cracking quality SONY product which I always found to be pretty good.

As a rule of thumb how many audiophiles snub MP3's then condone CD's. It's a well supported fact musical reproduction is superior using good old vinyl!

Steve

Catpuss

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
xbox360 can access media content from an XP media centre or XP Visa machine.

seems like the solution you want to me.

Wireless remote as well.....

(also believe it can play games)

With the latest update, can also play videos from XP Home rather than needing media center edition anymore.

chockymonster

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Not all compressed formats are cr*p - .ogg is a cracking quality SONY product which I always found to be pretty good.

Sony product? Give over, Sony couldn't write a decent piece of software
Ogg Vorbis is an open source audio format

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gav

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mp3's are exactly the same as cd quality when encoded at 380 something bps+ becuase the human ear carnt distingush the range that has been cut off anyway!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.