Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1986 XR4x4 Diff??
coozer

posted on 2/1/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
1986 XR4x4 Diff??

Anyone confirm the diff in the back of a 1986 XR4X4? It has a 2.8 engine.

7", 3.62 LSD, disc brakes?????

Cheers,
Steve

[Edited on 2/1/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

hector

posted on 2/1/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yea sounds right, thats what mine was!
Pezza

posted on 2/1/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure all 4x4's had lsd's

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

RichieC

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
Definately a 3.62 LSD. Discs as far as I can remember.

Rich

NS Dev

posted on 3/1/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
yep, exactly right

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/1/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
And I've had at least three Sierra 4x4's through my hands, and still got the remains of one mounted in a car out the back......

3.62, and 7 1/2". YES, 7 1/2"!!!!!

Not all 4x4's were 7", and to the contrary, most were 7 1/2" up to the late 80's. At least those behind the 2.8 engines.

Cheers,
Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 3/1/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
this is where I get muddled up!

Is that the Crownwheel bolt pcd or the casing width?

Ford call the 7" diff that because of its crownwheel pcd, just wondering if we muddle things on here by talking about casing widths??

I have had 6 ford lsd's from xr4x4's, 4x4 estates and a cosworth, and all had 7" crownwheel pcd's, but i've never measured the casing so no idea what widths they were, other than they were all the same as I've never altered my diff mount jig which I made to fit the first one, which was a 1987 vintage one!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/1/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
That's cwp's, Nat.

Ford put them in that bigger case for good reason.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 3/1/07 by Syd Bridge]

NS Dev

posted on 3/1/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
fair point!

Liam

posted on 3/1/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
You sure about this, syd??

I've had many 4x4s pass through my hands, including 2.8, 2.9, 2.0 DOHC and cosworth; saloon, estate and granada. All have been 7". I've also never, ever, ever heard of any of the many locosters who've bought themselves a 4x4 back axle for its LSD ending up with a 7.5", which you'd expect to find if most older ones were 7.5".

There is also the fact that the 7.5" comes in 3.64 as opposed to the 3.62 of the 7", if i'm not mistaken. Not a huge difference but probably enough to upset the centre diff VC if a 3.64 is run with the 3.62 front diff. Certainly not a design choice the factory would make anyway.

I think if you've come accross a 4x4 with a 7.5" rear diff it's much more likely to be a later addition than a factory fit.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 3/1/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
ive come across a 2 litre 4x4 and am considering getting the diff, will it definitely be a LSD? and I assume a 3.62 ratio.
If so how suitable is the lsd set up for a lighter car like a seven? I am thinking of using it with a dedion axle.
Paul.

Liam

posted on 3/1/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
2 litre 4x4 will be a 3.92. Deffo a 7" LSD though. Have a search for the many threads on the pros and cons of LSDs. Dont have experience of one in a seven myself.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 4/1/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

I've had many 4x4s pass through my hands, including 2.8, 2.9, 2.0 DOHC and cosworth; saloon, estate and granada. All have been 7". I've also never, ever, ever heard of any of the many locosters who've bought themselves a 4x4 back axle for its LSD ending up with a 7.5", which you'd expect to find if most older ones were 7.5".

There is also the fact that the 7.5" comes in 3.64 as opposed to the 3.62 of the 7", if i'm not mistaken. Not a huge difference but probably enough to upset the centre diff VC if a 3.64 is run with the 3.62 front diff. Certainly not a design choice the factory would make anyway.

I think if you've come accross a 4x4 with a 7.5" rear diff it's much more likely to be a later addition than a factory fit.

Liam

thinking about it surely the flanges would need a swap as well if std 4x4 rear hubs were used as the CV joints are larger and the lobro joint bolt pcd is bigger.

Syd Bridge

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Liam

Yes, quite sure. I even crawled under the one still here and checked last night. The reason I know it initially was a 7 1/2", is that I had to alter the chassis from the 7" fittings, to widen the mounts to get it in. Not just the bolt fittings, but the whole chassis assembly. Meant slightly shorter wishbones as well, to compensate.

The one here came out of a 'c' reg 4x4 ghia, with a 2.8. Also has the bigger cv's. The couple I had before it were also behind 2.8's, and 'c' and 'd' reg. And all lsd's as in the Scorpio's.

I know that when Ford went to the 2.0l dohc for the 4x4, the rear ends then went to 7" for all 4x4's. Up to then, it seems that it was 'mix and match'.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by Syd Bridge]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.