Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tyres...
worX

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
tyres...

Hi All,

assuming I can't stretch to R888's are a set of Yokohama A539's a good second place for my MAC#1?

I read a previous post aboutToyo Prxes T1S/R's about maybe the car is too light to get them heated up enough? And so, thought about these...

Alternatively, if someone else can suggest a really grippy, but cheaper tyre for mostly road use, please do so!

I have two sets of wheels, one fitted with Uniroyal Rainsport, so don't really need to consider wet weather for the set I'm talking about above!

[Edited on 10/2/07 by worX]

richard thomas

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running Toyo Proxes, cheap and feel ok - no complaints yet (in the dry).
UncleFista

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
If it's 195/50/15 you're after, I saw THIS SITE a couple of weeks ago.

Yokohama A539 195/50/15 for £26.09 inc VAT.

I don't know anything about the company, just spotted the ad..

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

worX

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Uncle,
I spotted the same shop going through ebay for £116.66 Delivered! which is why I've posted this now, because if they are good and recommended by people on here, I'll get them at that price!!!
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
If it's 195/50/15 you're after, I saw THIS SITE a couple of weeks ago.

Yokohama A539 195/50/15 for £26.09 inc VAT.

I don't know anything about the company, just spotted the ad..

UncleFista

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I don't have any experience with 'em, I was gonna get a set to go on some new wheels (on recommendation), but ended up buying a set of Alloys with a set of almost new Yoko VRsports on for £100

I'm tempted to buy a set for spare at that price though

Zil, I knew you'd bought yours from ebay, I searched all over ebay for 'em but couldn't find 'em (my missus laughs at my ebay skills), I found that site on Google, didn't realise it was the same place.

Why are they so cheap, are they an "old" tread design or something ?

[Edited on 10/2/07 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

skydivepaul

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have used A539's on my race fiesta and MK indy. Great tyres, good grip from cold in the dry. I found them a good reassuring tyre on track days as well. They dont have the grip of the A048 or toyo R888 but they are half the price of these tyres. I found that i could get the tyres to overheat if you drove like a holligan after about 5 laps in the fiesta and 7 or 8 laps in the MK.

Definatley worth the money, they have come down in price over the past few years as well.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

skydivepaul

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have used A539's on my race fiesta and MK indy. Great tyres, good grip from cold in the dry. I found them a good reassuring tyre on track days as well. They dont have the grip of the A048 or toyo R888 but they are half the price of these tyres. I found that i could get the tyres to overheat if you drove like a holligan after about 5 laps in the fiesta and 7 or 8 laps in the MK.

Definatley worth the money, they have come down in price over the past few years as well.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

iceman26

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone used yokohama paradas if so are they any good
zxrlocost

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate anyone who has been out in my car with me or on convoy somewhere will vouch that I took bends very quickly using Toyo T1s?(the newest ones anyway?) proxes and they did the job fine just let them down to 20psi aswell

[Edited on 10/2/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

John Bonnett

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had a chat with our local SVA tester about a range of points needing clarification and one of these was tyres.

On my particular set-up, if I don't fit ZR rated tyres my car will fail. Thought I'd mention this because there must be many of our cars capable of speeds in excess of 130mph and in my case over 140 so the tyres must be correctly rated to suit.

John

APR

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
just brought 4 r888 for £220 195/50/15 from Steve at Simply Tyres in Corby 01536 264800. delivery free.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Hi All,

assuming I can't stretch to R888's are a set of Yokohama A539's a good second place for my MAC#1?

I read a previous post aboutToyo Prxes T1S/R's about maybe the car is too light to get them heated up enough? And so, thought about these...

Alternatively, if someone else can suggest a really grippy, but cheaper tyre for mostly road use, please do so!

I have two sets of wheels, one fitted with Uniroyal Rainsport, so don't really need to consider wet weather for the set I'm talking about above!

[Edited on 10/2/07 by worX]

I think the semi slick tyres are so much better than a standard road tyre,having used "normal" road tyres,then I switch to the semi slicks,Ive tried A032's A048's,kumo V70A's,and R888's,there is realy no comparison compared to road tyres,all the above are very similar and if your trying to save some money on the build,I would try to save it elsewhere,your car will have over 300bhp per ton,and weigh 450kg's you will need all the help you can get, for £220 get some R888 fitted

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

worX

posted on 10/2/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
well I have to admit Paul, that the cheapest I had seen them previously was £260, so at £220 I am thinking about them again.

and it's not a question of saving money elsewhere in the build - I have virtually spent all I have, and due to a couple of slight exaggerations with budget when I first asked about finished build costs, i don't have more than a couple hundred quid to finish and thats not counting money I'll need to find for SVA tax etc...

Is £220 about the cheapest anyone can get the R888's for?

If they are that good, is it worth trying for a bulk buy shared with other members?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.