New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: more power sir?
02GF74

posted on 31/7/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
more power sir?

forget bigger engines, you need these
joneh

posted on 31/7/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do they make petrol more explosive than ordinary plugs?

Seriously though, do they ignite better? I can understand using good leads and plugs with the right gaps but do they improve power or responsiveness?

DIY Si

posted on 31/7/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not just fit Nology leads? I was lead to understand they did the same thing. I'm also still not convinced that you actually need them on a well set up system.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

TangoMan

posted on 31/7/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
If it looks too good to be true... It usually is!!!!

If it burns faster then pre-ignition will occur earlier so the timing will need to be retarded to compensate, thus reducing power.

Some of the figures on the site don't stack up where increases in torque and 0-60 times seem to be at odds across the model ranges.

There may be some benefits in economy and similar power from reduced advance but I would be keen to see independant results.

Now if somebody wants to donate a set I would happily provide a vehicle for back to back testing

Summer's here!!!!

NeilP

posted on 31/7/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
The speed of the flame front in the mix is determined by the fuel quality, mix ratio, eveness of dispersement and size of atomisation - none of which would be impacted by the plugs - However if they set off a bigger 'ball' of detonation then you will get a small advantage.

Clever science - maybe cleverer marketing?...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

gezer

posted on 31/7/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
what goes around comes around,

these look just like the things that were being advertised in the american hot rod mags in the 60's,
they said then they were developed for the military as normal plugs werent good enough,

more snake oil ?

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

Confused but excited.

posted on 31/7/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
"When the ignition signal is sent to a traditional spark plug, it begins to ionize the spark gap. This means that the voltage builds in the gap until a spark can be formed. During this ionization phase, which lasts about 5 millionths of a second, the incoming voltage (which has nowhere to go) heats up ignition components including the spark plug. This is wasted energy. "
As the heating effect in a cicuit is directly related to the current flowing throught it not the voltage across it. This statement is obviously a complete load of b@ll@cks!
One Megawatt for 30 micro seconds, equals more than 33 Kilo Joules. This energy comes from.................?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DIY Si

posted on 31/7/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Even if it does waste some energy heating it all up, it's in a combustion chamber, and will waste a tiny amount of energy. If you run wasted spark, you're already wasting a full spark, so who cares about it?
As said, clearly not written by from a technical view point, as all voltages in open circuits like plugs have no where to go! That's why it's a voltage build, to create the spark in the first place!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

novacaine

posted on 31/7/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
so let me get this right, the plug stores energy for a while (which is the job of the coil anyway) and then releases it at a time that i assume is completley random ruining what ever sort of Megajolt system you have set up igniting the fuel whenever the plug feels like it....

and surely storing that volume of energy (that apparently comes from nowhere) will cause huge volumes of heat in the plug itself?

sounds like a crap idea to me...

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/8/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Id think that once the engine is up and running, the spark plug tip will be sufficiently hot (from the combustion process) to mean that any heat "loss" due to the voltage will be absolutely negligible, if anything.

"One Megawatt for 30 micro seconds, equals more than 33 Kilo Joules. This energy comes from.................?"

To be fair it says it gives a megawatt for 2 billionths of a second, not 30ms (which is how long a regular plug arcs for), but still, another case of Snake Oil / electric supercharger me thinks.

[Edited on 2/8/07 by ChrisGamlin]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/8/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Their claims gets better

http://www.pulstarplug.com/horsepower.html

Here they have a graph of BHP gains per $ spent. Considering they are $25 each and they are claiming $8 / bhp gain, they are claiming 12.5bhp gained on a 4 pot engine, or 25bhp on an 8 pot, but on what engine? You dont get a blanket gain on all engines so that graph is completely pointless.

[Edited on 2/8/07 by ChrisGamlin]

MikeRJ

posted on 3/8/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
What a load of testicular appendages. Before the spark gap has ionised, current flow is practicaly zero. Power = V * I, so no matter what the voltage, power dissipation is zero if no current is flowing.

As for the increased peak cylinders pressures, if it's true what happens if you install these plugs into a turbo charged engine, detonation city?

A total rip off, just like the overpriced, overhyped and under-functional Nology HT leads.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.