Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: rear arch gap
jabbahutt

posted on 6/8/07 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
rear arch gap

offered up the rear arches yesterday with a view to fitting them. The car was on the ground and I had the more gradual slope of the arch towards the rear of the car. The front and rear edge of the arch was level witgh the bodywork.

The wheels are 15" with ET 38 offset as recomended by MK. Two problems, firstly the wheel sticks out beyond the arch and secondly there is a massive space between the top of the tire and the outer edge of the arch

So reading threads I understand that adjusting the camber could solve the wheel sticking out problem.

Could anyone please confirm the following

a) how many threads are visible inside the top rear suspension wishbone as mine is currently flush with no threads showing.

b) how many threads are visible at the bottom of the suspension unit as that is the only thing I can think of adjustiong to get rid of the whopping gap between top of tire and arch.

Any photos of set up to explain things much appreciated.

Thanks
Nigel

jabbahutt

posted on 6/8/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
bit more reading and apparently un screwing the seat of the suspension unit will lower the car at the rear.

How many threads should be showing roughly for a normal set up. I phoned MK and Phil told me to undo it to a point that it stops the spring moving.

Only problem I have with that is if I fit my arches then need to adjust suspension the wheel may end up hitting the arch when going over a bump.

If anyone can help with a set up for fitting arches I'd be grateful as then it'll really start looking like a finished car.

thanks

mad-butcher

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Nigel
A quick fix use a spirit level on the outer face of the tyre top and bottom (use a couple of block of wood as spacers to avoid centre of rim if spirit level hits it) and set the wheels up vertical, you only need about 1 deg neg (wheel leans inwards)
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snoopy

posted on 7/8/07 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
my method fit wheel to car place arch over wheel rembering they are handed and the pointy end is at the back align bottom of arch with bottom of body work front and back then use your eyes or fingers to get the gap central from the wheel when happy draw round the arch with marker remove arch and wheel drill body work holes first refit arch mark through holes remove arch drill holes fit trim arch n bolts job done

arch
arch

[Edited on 7/8/07 by snoopy]

jabbahutt

posted on 7/8/07 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
many thanks for the tips, I'll have another bash when we next get a sunny evening. If I'm still not happy I'll post pictures of the problem as that may help.

Thanks again

jabbahutt

posted on 7/8/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
so before beginning tonight as weather looks promising how many threads should be visible below spring seat on shock as I think thats why I have such a large gap above the tire?
At present there must be at least 3/4" of thread showing which I know think may be excessive, though i have a C spanner so can adjust if someone can let me know the setting before fitting the arches.

Many thanks

[Edited on 8/8/07 by jabbahutt]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.