Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connecting Speakers to Laptop
Blacktop

posted on 10/12/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Connecting Speakers to Laptop

I have got a couple of spare speakers lying around that I want to hook up to my laptop.
The connections on the speakers are + - terminals for standard speaker cable while the output on the laptop is a for a standard headphone jack.

I have had a look and I can't find any cabling which allows me to do this. Anyone got any suggestions other than buying different speakers?

David Jenkins

posted on 10/12/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
You might need an amplifier - most PC speakers have one, and the sound card may not be able to drive unamplified speakers.

Humbug

posted on 10/12/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy plugs from e.g. Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1187&criteria=3.5mm%20stereo%20plug&doy=10m12

get speaker wires and solder them in.

The only problem you might have is volume, as the headphone socket is only intended to drive headphones - might not have enough juice to power the speakers. I used powered speakers for mine, which is fine

AdamR

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
You definitely need an amp of some sort. The amp will probably take phono inputs (for which you can use a jack to phono lead) and have the usual +/- outputs for speakers.

Alternatives are to use the auxiliary input on an existing stereo system, or buy a set of PC speakers which have a built in amp. I have Logitech Z-10s, which are very good indeed.

BenB

posted on 10/12/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need an AMP- the laptop sound out is designed to drive headphones, there's no way they'll drive big speakers....

Buy some PC speakers you tight wad

Blacktop

posted on 10/12/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies, looks like I will need to add something else on my list for Santa

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.