Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Most miles driven in a day?
MikeR

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Most miles driven in a day?

Just had a long day with work, done total of 576 miles. Far more than i've ever done before ....

I'm sure some of you lot must have done more - but how does it compare and how did you keep awake (ie did you over do the caffeine like me - i'm still buzzing and shaking 90 minutes after getting home).

eznfrank

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Leeds to Bristol to Bromley (S.E. London) and back to Leeds however far that is?
smart51

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
As a student, 3 of us drove from Staffordshire to John o groats and back in 2 days. The other 2 (one of whom was a driver) then went to lands end and lowestoft the following day. It was an unlimited mileage hire car. OK not strictly 1 day but it was fun. especially the snow in February.
DIY Si

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've done 2500 miles in a week, which I though was quite a few miles. Although then I could smoke in the van, which helped keep me awake and going post midnight after a 12 hour day.
Guinness

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Worst drive I've ever done was from Basingstoke to East Kilbride.

Finished a night shift in Basingstoke, got in the car, drove to Est Kilbride, just in time to start the next night shift!

Never again!

Mike

iank

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Drive about a 1000miles a week every week. It's not the odd big trip I find a problem it's doing hours of driving each day with a 12 hour day trying to get projects run by madmen in on time in the middle

Best thing to do is stop every 2 hours or so have a walk around and a coffee. Don't drive when completely knackered - falling asleep at the wheel is no fun.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeR

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
gentlemen, you have my respect. I know the more you drive the more you're body gets used to it so the more you can do .......... but those are silly miles to me.

be careful!

the caffeine has worn off, i'm going to bed.

ecosse

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Central scotland to St Tropez, no sleep, 26 hours and 1300+mls, and did it for years (old man had a caravan down there)

Then I got old and had to start doing an overnight at Dover, before the second leg of Calais to the med in one go

Cheers

Alex

skodaman

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Drove from just south of Paris once. Boat crossing took 4 and half hours cos of storm and then I headed north at night. Got to near Preston on M6 and couldn't go any further so stopped at nearest services and went to sleep in drivers seat. I was dreaming white lines coming towards me, next thing I fell out of the car cos I'd left the door open. Thought I was doing 70 at the time so bloody scary. Funny looking back I suppose.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/7/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom of Italy to the top..
Spa to Fife Scotland 14hrs
Rust2 rome

Johannesburg to Capetown
Joburg to DURBAN

and for twenty two hour shift fixing outages and power dropouts filled up twice

Simon

posted on 24/7/08 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
James,

Done the Frejus run, last time when, two days before we were due to leave, the alternator light came on above 40mph, so mother drove for the first hour!

I then took over, and thought the light would go out eventually - it did, at 95mph

Kept shouting to Pops for more petrol.

You're not staying at the L'Etoile Argens caravan site per chance?

Chap I work with did Kent to central Scotland and back in a day

My best was spotting a sign that said Calais 180km (110 miles) and one hour to catch train across the channel. Needless to say I had 10 minutes hanging around

ATB

Simon

l0rd

posted on 24/7/08 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have to drive to work and back every day something like 125miles in total. The worst i have done so far is about 460miles in a day after 8 hours of work.
worX

posted on 24/7/08 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Brussels, Belgium to Middlewich, Cheshire including the ferry crossing. Not sure how many miles!

And it was on this! VVVVV With no seat material, just a piece of leather turned upside down for a swede like grip!

Steve

JoelP

posted on 24/7/08 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
i did 350 last week with a lot of work in between, was out the house for 15 hours. Working local this week though
Fred W B

posted on 24/7/08 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
In SA often do Port Elizabeth to JHB 1100 kilos in 10 hours, stopping twice for fuel.

On a business trip in the UK in 1998, I was staying in Yarm near Middlesbrough. Left early one morning, drove down to a meeting near the Dartford tunnel just off the M25, finished by 12, drove to Demon Tweeks in Wrexham Wales to buy a crash helmet, then to Liverpool to drop off something and back to Yarm for supper in the pub by 9 – not sure how many miles, and all in a 1300 hire car.

Cheers

Fred

[Edited on 24/7/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

speedyxjs

posted on 24/7/08 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Scotland to eastbourne.
Worked out to be about 600 miles

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

coozer

posted on 24/7/08 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Durham to Ford AVO next to the M25, Aston Martin on the M40 then up the M6 to Jaguar, Halewood & back to Durham in one go.. not sure how far but well over 500 miles.

Thinkng of KFC kept me awake and a metal soundtrack in the car.. failing that depending on how you see it radio 5 will either keep you awake or send you fast asleep.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Jon Ison

posted on 24/7/08 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Chesterfield > Wick > Chesterfield, around 1100 miles.

fesycresy

posted on 24/7/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
The guy who bought my car 450 miles in the passenger seat of his old man's car the 450 miles home from South Wales to Scotland.

End of March, freezing cold, forecast snow, sleet and rain.

R1 engine, small aeroscreen, car set up like a go kart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

alistairolsen

posted on 24/7/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Im doing 600+ miles a week, from mine to work and back is 100, gfs and back is 40, 4 days a week is 560 then a bit about town. If I go t my folks at the weekend thats another 200.

as for most in a day, Ive done oban to tunbridge wells and back, twoing one way in 26 hrs or so which was a killer

do 1000 miles in less than 48 hrs for car shows a few times a year tho lol

MikeCapon

posted on 24/7/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Bedford to Dover, ferry to Calais. Calais to Lyon, back to Calais. Ferry and back to Bicester. Around 1300 miles stopping only for petrol. Took exactly 24 hours in a very tired Rover 820.

Not been or to be repeated.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
went right round the outside of Scotland and then back through Inverness way to Abredeen one Saturday in the Falcon just for the hell of it as it was a very nice day - 1000+ miles

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

nib1980

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I regularly drive from the office in cranfield to the plant in sunderlan and back in a day about and with outtings tot he suppliers it's usually a 600+ mile a day trip
mackei23b

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just did Calrisle to Oxford and back yesterday, about 550 miles in the Tin Top.

Longest trip in the MK is 200 mile round trip (Edinburgh to Carlisle and back)

Cheers

Ian

McLannahan

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Like Iank I drive 1000 miles every week back and forwards to work. Have done this for a year now, but of next week no longer!

My new job is just a 24 mile round trip...I feel an "un-sensible" car coming on!

I driven to South France a two or three times now - always non-stop and it's about 900 miles or so. Would happily do that now though - For some lovely weather, beer, bread and ham! I'd be made!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.