Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: FU1/FU2/brackets
oily85

posted on 11/10/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
FU1/FU2/brackets

I've finally got round to doing my suspension brackets after a number of problems, and I've come across a bit of a problem.

My FU1 and FU2 tubes are fully welded in place and are in the right position to properly support the upper wisbone mount with the proper caster angle(using book wishbones), but this has put the bottom of the tube very close to the bottom wisbone bracket. The gap is just big enough to take a nyloc, but there would be no threads protruding so I know I've got to change something.

As all of the brackets sit quite nicely where they are, I'd prefer to use a castle-type nut, but I think I'd need to cut the bolt down in order for it to actually tighten properly. Would that be acceptable for SVA? Also on castle nuts, is there a minimum number of threads there has to be between the end of the bolt and the hole for the split-pin? I had a draft manual pdf somewhere but I can't find it now.

The second option I'd thought of is to move the bottom part of FU1 and FU2 forward by a few mm to give enough clearance, but ideally I'd like to leave them alone.

Option 3 is to cut all of the brackets off and move tham back slightly, they're only tacked on at the moment, but again I'd rather leave them as they are, as other than that one small clearance issue they're just right.

Any help/opinions will be gratefully received.

Ollie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 12/10/08 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

'K' nuts are a little smaller than their
equivilent sized Nyloc, they might give you enough clearance.

Regards Mick

big_wasa

posted on 12/10/08 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Best to sort it now.

If you use a jig to hold the brackets in position you will be able to rotate the fu tubes to give position and clearance.

loads of old posts

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=57906&page=1

chrism

posted on 12/10/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much off a good idea this would be, but were does the bolt locate on FU1/FU2, if its near the middle would it be possible to drill a hole so that the bolt passes into FU1/FU2 leaving some thread past the end of the nyloc, as I think you need at least 1 thread showing past the nyloc.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.