Board logo

Toughpad tablet
Chris_Xtreme - 10/6/16 at 08:32 AM

I have been wondering about what kind of tablet I could use in the Q as either a MS based digi dash or satnav or somehting.

I happened to see this on ebay

Panasonic ToughPad JT-B1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351673337695

These are supposadly one of the best rugged tablets going. It turned up next day (I dropped them a note and asked for one with a scratch free screen and they delivered). It has booted up, and is running MSDroid. I'm in the office, so havne't done more with it, but for what was nearly a grand a couple of years ago I think it is a steal.

Key thing for me is that the power button is on the front, so should be able to install into / behind the dash, it has a power socket and a microusb (yet to see if that can do OTG) so should able to charge and plug something in.

It looks like there is a rom out there to get it to marshmallow too, but I've not tried.

cheers, Chris

nick205 - 10/6/16 at 09:12 AM

Looks good and as you say a good price too.

Myself I'd be worried to leave it unattended in the car, but that may just be me. I can say I've installed a sat nav app on my iPad and it works well. I'm now looking for a suitable in-car holder to use it in SWMBO's car as it has a nice big screen. Again it would be hidden in the car when left unattended for security reasons. In terms of dash installation I'm sure it could be rear mounted and power wise it can be run OK from a cigarette lighter socket via a USB to iPad cable. I'm sure you can get dashboard type apps for it as well.

Chris_Xtreme - 10/6/16 at 09:16 AM

I'm thinking of fixing it permanently ie cut a smaller hole than it in the grp and bracket it in behind.

then it is probably at less risk then a traditional digi dash, which not that many would know are worth a lot more.

loggyboy - 10/6/16 at 09:55 AM

Ive have aone (albeit in a tintop) and its relatively 'well' installed it doesn't seem to stand out as what is to the idle viewer (when screen is off) - even with the Samsung logo still visible.

Ive installed apps that give me control of the orientation, add a standby power switch button to the display and keep the screen off when power isnt supplied (ign off).
The only issue to date is power as because it only charges when car is on, and only goes into stand by when its off, it can discharge over time if use functions like blue tooth and GPS all the time.
Sadly there is no way (i can think of) to allow it to charge at all times but still control the display on/off (screen/power saver mode) by the state of the ignition.

Chris_Xtreme - 10/6/16 at 01:35 PM

one thing I have found at lunch is that it is a secure device, I didn't read up on that well enough now did I !!

it would seem it can't be rooted, nor therefor can it be updated to anything higher than andriod 4.0.4.

this i think has scuppered my plans of having a split screen. damn the hoaxers out there who made it look like there were marshmallow roms for this tablet.. i should have wondered harder as to why I couldn't find anything on xda developers....

hizzi - 10/6/16 at 03:38 PM

have a look at panasonic cf-u1 might be another solution. i use one in the landrover for mapping with usb gps