Board logo

Is racing a sport
I love speed :-P - 1/11/04 at 10:11 AM

My girlfriend is a member of an art forum, and they have stated that motorracing, (and therefore motorsport) is not a sport.

p.s. this included racing at all levels,

lets discus

blueshift - 1/11/04 at 10:22 AM

Tell her to shut up and make a vase.

space_dementia_11 - 1/11/04 at 10:23 AM

And might I just say that I don't share their view, so don't gang up on me or anything

I love speed :-P - 1/11/04 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
Tell her to shut up and make a vase.

she is right, she does think it is a sport, so leave her alone

timf - 1/11/04 at 10:40 AM

F1 is no longer a proper sport as it is now just a procession behind the leader for x laps,

but club level motorsport is a true sport.

nick205 - 1/11/04 at 10:48 AM

does it matter?

Jasper - 1/11/04 at 12:07 PM

I think we need a bit of info as to why they don't think it's a sport.

Maybe we should also ave a look at some of their work and see if we think it's art

nick205 - 1/11/04 at 12:15 PM

I believe the 'art' of good racing in a 'sport'ing manner might be the key to this discussion.

ned - 1/11/04 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I believe the 'art' of good racing in a 'sport'ing manner might be the key to this discussion.

que tumble weed...

stephen_gusterson - 1/11/04 at 12:27 PM

golf is a sport
sychronised swimming is a sport
shooting is a sport
jumping a long distanc eby use of a hop, step and final jump, is a sport (who the heck though of that one)
showjumping is a sport.

why shouldnt motor racing be a sport?

FFS - darts is a sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atb

steve

Surrey Dave - 1/11/04 at 12:36 PM

According to Dictionary.com:

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. (Motor Racing? / Yes)

2. A particular form of this activity. (Motor Racing? / Yes)

3. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively (Motor Racing? / Yes).

4. An active pastime; recreation. (Motor Racing? / Yes)

Jasper - 1/11/04 at 01:07 PM

Lets get the URL of their forum and give 'em a few answers!

theconrodkid - 1/11/04 at 01:58 PM

art forum eh...makes me think of bearded lentil munchers on pushbikes knitting yogurt and hugging trees for fun.
do they think tracy enema,s efforts are art?

Peteff - 1/11/04 at 02:37 PM

Sport is a recreational activity for pleasure, not necessarily competitive. If it's something you can do on your own does it become something else,like if you run or swim on your own are you doing something different. They are getting competition and sport confused.

madforfishing - 1/11/04 at 06:35 PM

It's a sport alright, the Queen says so. It's in Queens Regulations for the Royal Air Force. She'll even pay for travel claims in RAF Motor Sport Association events.
Sorted, no higher authority.

Cita - 1/11/04 at 07:36 PM

According to Hemmingway (i think) there are only 4 sports:bull fighting-motor racing-mountain climbing and boxing, all the rest are games!!!!