Board logo

These snow chains are rubbish.
zilspeed - 19/12/10 at 08:27 PM

I'm telling you, they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Well, at least that's what this rocket scientist must be thinking.

dilley - 19/12/10 at 08:29 PM

snow chains need a little more snow than what you have in the picture

zilspeed - 19/12/10 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dilley
snow chains need a little more snow than what you have in the picture

Indeed they do.

There's also one other critical consideration for their most effective usage to aid traction...

r1_pete - 19/12/10 at 08:32 PM

What a muppet!!

thunderace - 19/12/10 at 08:33 PM

lol nice one that car is rwd lol

KitCatE1 - 19/12/10 at 08:33 PM

lmao how can anybody be so stupid

slingshot2000 - 19/12/10 at 08:37 PM

I watched a neighbour do the exact same thing on his BMW a couple of weeks ago. Just because they can afford a Beemer, doesnt mean they have brains. Should be castrated and not be allowed to breed!

To get any benefit from fitting snow-chains, they MUST be fitted to the DRIVEN wheels!

All Beemers are REAR-WHEEL drive!

[Edited on 19/12/10 by slingshot2000]

thunderace - 19/12/10 at 08:38 PM

bet they have the spike shose for waking in too
they distroy shop floors ,my local tesco manager is going mental about the spike shoes lol

PSpirine - 19/12/10 at 08:40 PM

To play devil's advocate - fitting his chains to the front wheels won't do anything for driving traction, but it will surely help to slow him down and steer (assuming he gets moving in the first place).

I've always fitted chains on all four wheels of a FWD when in heavy snow - the grip is unbelievable then.

Can't argue with "what a muppet" - surely it's in the bloody instructions!!

Ben_Copeland - 19/12/10 at 08:41 PM

What a muppet, he's probably thinking what a waste of money, these things are crap lmao

whitestu - 19/12/10 at 08:44 PM

When I was a kid a neighbour got loads of us kids in the back of his Allegro to give him a bit more traction - we all knew it was FWD, but didn't have the heart to tell him!

nick205 - 19/12/10 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Can't argue with "what a muppet" - surely it's in the bloody instructions!!

It will be in the instructions...for the snow chains - doesn't mean the driver has any idea what goes o under the car though

That's almost worth parking up and waiting for them so you can offer some advice

r1_pete - 19/12/10 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
bet they have the spike shoes for waking in too

What and wear them for gloves??

mcerd1 - 19/12/10 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
All Beemers are REAR-WHEEL drive!

...except for the ones with mini badges on them

I'm betting there will be alot of cheap cat C BMW's for sale in the new year....

[Edited on 19/12/2010 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 19/12/2010 by mcerd1]

owelly - 19/12/10 at 09:26 PM

quote:

When I was a kid a neighbour got loads of us kids in the back of his Allegro to give him a bit more traction - we all knew it was FWD, but didn't have the heart to tell him!

"Come along small children. Jump inside my shiny Allegro. I need to fill it with young kids to make it fly properly...."

Hmmm. And he didn't have the heart to tell you it was July........

rf900rush - 19/12/10 at 09:32 PM

I wish people would not post things like this when I have a soar throat.
It just hurts to laugh to much

zilspeed - 19/12/10 at 09:47 PM

I have to report myself here for a repost.

I'll go and hand myself in to the nearest police station.

T66 - 19/12/10 at 10:10 PM

Thats funny, while being pretty scary at the same time....

what a total biff

slingshot2000 - 19/12/10 at 11:16 PM

quote:
I'm betting there will be alot of cheap cat C BMW's for sale in the new year....
quote:

But are they any good as Locost donors ??????

jollygreengiant - 19/12/10 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:
quote:

But are they any good as Locost donors ??????

Only if snow chains are involved,

dhutch - 20/12/10 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KitCatE1
lmao how can anybody be so stupid

Most amusing much....

David Jenkins - 20/12/10 at 08:22 AM

Mind you... I saw a BMW on the news this morning - struggling to get up a hill, with his front wheels spinning... I don't know the Beemer range - are there any FWD or 4x4 models?

If there are, and I only had 1 pair of chains, I'm not sure where I'd put them (answers on a postcard to...)

whitestu - 20/12/10 at 08:34 AM

quote:

"Come along small children. Jump inside my shiny Allegro. I need to fill it with young kids to make it fly properly...."

Hmmm. And he didn't have the heart to tell you it was July........

I can see how your mind works! In case anyone was worrying it was the middle of winter and none of us were fiddled with in any way

karlak - 20/12/10 at 08:37 AM

There was a post on the BMW 1-series forum a while back, that stated a Survey had shown that WELL over 50% of owners were not aware that their car was RWD...

mcerd1 - 20/12/10 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Mind you... I saw a BMW on the news this morning - struggling to get up a hill, with his front wheels spinning... I don't know the Beemer range - are there any FWD or 4x4 models?

If there are, and I only had 1 pair of chains, I'm not sure where I'd put them (answers on a postcard to...)

the 'soft roaders' X3, X5.... are 4x4's, but setup for motorways not snow/offroad

other than that they are all rwd (apart from the mini's)
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
There was a post on the BMW 1-series forum a while back, that stated a Survey had shown that WELL over 50% of owners were not aware that their car was RWD...

I'm constantly amazed at how little attention most people pay to the oily bits (not on this forum obviuously)

remember the all the adverts for the 1 series when it first cam out about how great its handeling was just because it was the only rwd car in its class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adPhli-SyE
(of couse they ignored tha fact that the FWD hatches like Golf's, Focus's, Astra's and so on are so well developed these days that most are more than a match for the 1 series - have to admit I've never driven one yet, but I know plenty of folk that wern't impressed)
but then I guess most folk only bought the badge, so wouldn't care about anything else

[Edited on 20/12/2010 by mcerd1]

Dangle_kt - 20/12/10 at 11:34 AM

thats brilliant.

02GF74 - 20/12/10 at 12:28 PM

very good.

I got stuck on M1 for 4 1/2 hours so had plenty time to look round as to which brand of cars were stuckiest the most.

..... and guess what, it was exclusively BMWs and fewer number of Mercs. (there were 4 BMWs abandoned on roadside on my drive in to work today). Clios were flying through that stuff and indeed were Focuses.

Either the luxury German cars are crap for snow - but I've seen where Eagles Dare so I am sure they have snow in Germany - due to low profile tyres, RWD perhaps or it is true what they say that BMW drivers are inepts morons.

I guess they loose traction control if they cannot keep within 4 inches of the car in front.

hughpinder - 20/12/10 at 12:59 PM

Actually BMW 3 and 5 series cars are available with 4WD. It a 60/40 torque split rear to front. Its called xDrive(same as the X1/X3/X% badged 4x4 models), and makes BMW the biggest supplier of 4 wheel drives saloons/estates (rather than 4x4 style) at something like 25% of the total sales for the 3 and 5 series. They are sold everywhere in europe except the UK. I only found that out because my mrs is due tochange her company car, and I was chatting to one of the german guys that work here, about BMWs crap in snow.... and he told me they have them in Germany. I have spoken to my local dealer who originally denied that there was any such thing, then called back to say there was, but no plans to import to the UK - according to their head office.

Regards
Hugh

chrisxr2 - 20/12/10 at 01:22 PM

outstanding

sergebelg - 20/12/10 at 02:05 PM

I have a BMW compact 316ti, with winter tyres, it's ok on the snow...

Ninehigh - 22/12/10 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by karlak

I'm constantly amazed at how little attention most people pay to the oily bits (not on this forum obviuously)

but then I guess most folk only bought the badge, so wouldn't care about anything else

[Edited on 20/12/2010 by mcerd1]

Exactly, why do they need to know the pay people to do that for them. Iirc these people also get a nice phone call to remind them to bring it in

McLannahan - 22/12/10 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Actually BMW 3 and 5 series cars are available with 4WD. It a 60/40 torque split rear to front. Its called xDrive(same as the X1/X3/X% badged 4x4 models), and makes BMW the biggest supplier of 4 wheel drives saloons/estates (rather than 4x4 style) at something like 25% of the total sales for the 3 and 5 series. They are sold everywhere in europe except the UK. I only found that out because my mrs is due tochange her company car, and I was chatting to one of the german guys that work here, about BMWs crap in snow.... and he told me they have them in Germany. I have spoken to my local dealer who originally denied that there was any such thing, then called back to say there was, but no plans to import to the UK - according to their head office.

Regards
Hugh

During the 90's you could get an X series 5 in the UK. Not common but they do/did exist. Shame they didn't sell well but they do crop on on EBay from time to time. In estate and normal saloon too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(E34)#525iX

NigeEss - 22/12/10 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

During the 90's you could get an X series 5 in the UK. Not common but they do/did exist. Shame they didn't sell well but they do crop on on EBay from time to time. In estate and normal saloon too.

There was also a 325ix. Always fancied one.

But not at this price

[Edited on 22/12/10 by NigeEss]

mcerd1 - 22/12/10 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:

I'd settle for a 4x4 one of these as a winter car

or a turbo technics 4x4 one if you want a bit more fun

and if it dies on you then at least you'd have another donor car

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/12/10 at 11:25 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Sell you one low mileage

mcerd1 - 23/12/10 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sell you one low mileage

havn't you got that thing stripped down ready to go in your pickup ?