Board logo

Hans or no Hans
jeffw - 27/2/14 at 11:30 AM

Interesting video of a low speed accident in a rally car. Driver doesn't have Hans on and co-driver does.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

Makes you think

woodstock - 27/2/14 at 11:47 AM

Wow, that makes you think. I've been thinking of replacing my helmet with a lighter one but maybe my money would be spent better on a hans device for my current one

amalyos - 27/2/14 at 12:27 PM

I wouldn't race without mine, it's like wearing a seatbelt, you don't feel safe without it.

MikeR - 27/2/14 at 12:48 PM

wow!!!!!!!!!! makes the point very vividly to me.

mookaloid - 27/2/14 at 12:50 PM

mmm now where's that shopping list..............

jeffw - 27/2/14 at 01:07 PM

If I was buying one now I'd look at the Simpson Hybrids from Mark Higgens Motorsport. They work on side impacts as well as head on and are more comfortable to wear. In fact I'm considering sell my Hans Adjustable to buy the Simpson

http://simpson-europe.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=100

iank - 27/2/14 at 01:09 PM

The accident is worse than it looks as the car is stopped instantly by the ditch making deceleration forces larger than you might expect for the speed, but you'd certainly want to have the hans!

jeffw - 27/2/14 at 02:03 PM

Basilar skull fractures are a common cause of death in many motor racing accidents. Drivers who have died as a result of basilar skull fracture include Formula One drivers Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna, Indianapolis 500 drivers Bill Vukovich, Tony Bettenhausen, Floyd Roberts, and Scott Brayton, NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt Sr., Adam Petty, Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, Jr., Neil Bonnett, John Nemechek, J. D. McDuffie, and Richie Evans, CART drivers Jovy Marcelo, Greg Moore and Gonzalo Rodriguez, and ARCA drivers Blaise Alexander and Slick Johnson.

To prevent this injury, all major motor sports sanctioning bodies now mandate the use of head and neck restraints, such as the HANS device.

Duncan36 - 27/2/14 at 02:06 PM

It felt weird at first, but after a season to get used to it, I wouldn't race without one

daniel mason - 27/2/14 at 04:05 PM

ive got a schroth pro carbon one now! seems to fit fine,but the 30 degrees layback make it quite expensive unless you can haggle like i do