Board logo

Scared the c*** out of me
donut - 21/7/06 at 11:37 AM

Still shaking so beware there may be some typo's!!

Driving home from a friends today and some twonk in a Clio pulls out on me, i swerve to miss him and am then pointed straight towards another car coming in the opposite direction so i have to swerve to miss him. Ended up mounting the curb and managed to stop just before hitting a tree!! I wasn't speeding (too much) either as i had just pulled away from a zebra crosing a few hundread yards behind me.

Twas bloody scary and it seems so much worse in the 7 as the cars seem so much bigger.

After i stopped i jumped out to go have a talk with the Clio driver but yep... he/she buggered off.

The car seems fine except there maybe something loose at the back so i'll check it out. I think a good strong cup of tea is called for.

Bloody french cars!!!!

Winston Todge - 21/7/06 at 11:41 AM

I would have thought your back end would be loose after that!

Too many twonks on the road though...

Chris.

donut - 21/7/06 at 11:46 AM

parp

John Bonnett - 21/7/06 at 11:50 AM

This is the problem bikers have. So many get T boned because car drivers simply do not see them.

For my sins I am ADI and I instructed at Jonathan Palmer's for a number of years. We ran a VX220 day which apart from circuit driving included a road spell. We recommended that because of the small frontal area of the car and its nearness to the road drivers use dipped headlights at all times to make themselves more visible. The 7 is even more diminutive and I think this is good advice.

John

MikeR - 21/7/06 at 12:07 PM

but be aware, I read some research that proved that drivers have a habit of driving towards things (hence you look where you want to go in a skid, not where you are going). If you make yourself too obvious, with lights on etc, people will look at you and ..... drive at you!

its a no win situation, but driving with lights on seems to have more benefits than draw backs.

SALAD - 21/7/06 at 12:14 PM

Glad your OK Mr Donut, hope there's not too much damage!
Clio drivers,huh, I know a few, shocking they are too

wilkingj - 21/7/06 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Its a no win situation, but driving with lights on seems to have more benefits than draw backs.

Ahhh!!! thats why those sensible Swedes cant turn off their lights on their Volvo's and Saab's.

You know it makes sense.

donut - 21/7/06 at 01:01 PM

Cheers chaps. I have had a quick look at the car and all seems ok. It may just be something that has worked loose anyway. I'll get me spanners out and tighten me nuts up

Calmed down a bit now but it was scary.

ned - 21/7/06 at 01:14 PM

Andy,

you probably never got that far on your last car but as i recall bob saying after you've covered a few miles and things are starting to bed in its worth putting a spanner over all the crucial bits to ensure everything is as it should be...

Ned.

Peteff - 21/7/06 at 01:19 PM

I came off a local roundabout the other day and into a filter lane to turn left at lights some 200yds in front of me, 10yds from the lights the people carrier on my right decided he was going the same way as me so he put his left indicator on and just turned in on me. I gave him some hooter and verbal and he just carried on so I had to lock my wheels to miss him by inches. He carried on as if nothing happened and at the following left he did exactly the same again indicating at the last minute and swinging in, luckily for both of us I was going straight on and was glad to see the back of him but he gave me some palpitations.

donut - 21/7/06 at 01:23 PM

Ned: Thats was going to be my job for next week so i'll keep the car in the garage till then and spanner it up on Monday. I'm 99% pos it's just something working loose, and lets face it i never built it did i so it's not my fault

MkIndy7 - 21/7/06 at 04:56 PM

You don't get much more obvious than bright Fu*king Yellow and people still pull on on you!

On roundabouts people just don't appreciate how fast your going, and on the roads it seems to be the case of "looked but did not see"

A working horn is most important!
I've actually been close enough to punch a car door that was moving over on us, that got the drivers attention!

Glad to hear your Ok, just take it easy for a while incase anything more has got stressed and starts to develop.

Simon - 21/7/06 at 06:31 PM

Perhaps a hammer for breaking double glazing (small/ lightweight with a point) should be part of the equipment carried as standard.

ATB

Simon

ch1ll1 - 21/7/06 at 06:43 PM

this always gets me.
most of the 7's are bright colours
ok there low but why don't people see us.
reminds me of that old bike advert think once,think twice think locost !!

i had it the other day but it was an R1 coming at me on a bendy road !

don't they look big when his head is about 5 inches from your head !
good job i wasnt over his side of the road ! and i had the lady in the car,
or it could of been alot worse !
think it scared the crap out of him as well !

zetec7 - 21/7/06 at 08:58 PM

Got to watch out for wildlife, too - two weeks ago I had a large deer (being chased by dogs) leap out onto the road on a tight bend. Hit me head-on. Unfortunately, I was riding my motorcycle at the time (Kawasaki Concours). When I regained conciousness, the deer was dead, my bike was smashed, and I had a concussion, broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken thumb & several fingers, road rash, etc. Of course, my immediate concern was to try to right my bike, but since I couldn't move to check it, I was out of luck. Anyway, for every close call, give thanks to whoever/whatever you choose that you missed the contact!!