Board logo

Need more grip
Monkeybasher - 2/4/07 at 04:56 PM

Hi,

After my first shot at the quarter mile I have decided I need some more rear grip but I am unsure whats the best way to go about it.

I currently have maxsports on a 14" wheel, I would like a 13" wheel with some slicks as there seems to be lots of slicks for 13" rims but I dont think they will fit over my sierra rear discs. I haven't yet seen 14" slicks, I'm sure they must exist.

So what options do I have? would changing from maxsports to r888's make any difference or should I go for a wider wheel/tyre or find 14" slicks? Any help would be much appreciated. I swore I would only do the quarter mile once out of interest, but I think I am becomming obsessed with the thought of lowering my times. If I could get off the line better I think it would make a big difference. I am also looking to do this for track days too.

Cheers

Steve

Volvorsport - 2/4/07 at 05:04 PM

do some corner weights .

fit some semi slicks - colways do the remoulds cheap .

play with springs dampers ride heights to get some weight transfer .

fit a LSD , etc etc

at my recent outing at santa pod (which has just been resurfaced) wheelspin in all 3 gears .

those are some of the things ill be trying .

of course gearing might be an issue , most car gearboxes have a ridiculously low first gear for a lightweight seven , so it might turn out to be expensive.

Monkeybasher - 2/4/07 at 05:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks fo the quick reply,

The maxsports I think are similar to colways I think.

What would the rough Idea of suspension setting, do you want it stiff at the back or softer, or is it just trial and error?

I have an LSD

I wonder if I would get away with launching in 2nd to overcome the low first gear or whether it would kill the clutch ?

Thanks for the reply,

Steve

studon - 2/4/07 at 05:42 PM

Toyo have just launched a slick that meets more standard sizes just like R888's!
Worth a look! They have only just come out so you could be one of the first to give em a try!!

Volvorsport - 2/4/07 at 05:45 PM

need to have a look in the book to see what ratios you have and final drive of course , alter the diameter of tyres just to change it a little bit .

its pretty hard to get weight transfer at the back on these cars .

basically hard front /soft rear . setting up for drag racing 'should' just have the fronts in contact with the ground , ie near to 100% weight on the rear wheels . the front dampers in drag cars also have weird damping in a sense that they try to stop the front coming back down after launching , ie soft rebound/hard bump . keep the tyres absolutely straight up , no camber etc on the rear .

thats pretty hard to do in a seven . sometimes you have to accept going in a straight compromises your cornering ability

Ivan - 2/4/07 at 08:04 PM

Your setup will depend a lot on what rear suspension you have as well.

If independant you want the camber at zero at full squat, if it's a live axle you want some pre load on the one side to counteract axle twist due to torque loading. Also you could adjust the pinion angel of the live axle and the angles of the trailing arms to improve traction. Don't ask me how but read the right books.

Of course all that will mess up your handling on the road.

greggors84 - 2/4/07 at 08:48 PM

Im sure clio cups use 15" slicks. How about trying a set of these?