Board logo

Aerodynamics
gtempleman - 18/7/07 at 08:54 AM

First an introduction. I am a freelance writer (RaceTech, PPC and Full Throttle) and I’m researching a piece about aerodynamics and power.

I’m looking for a volunteer in Leicester (or just north) with a road-going Locost and I would like you to let me fit a datalogger to your car. We could then do a series of coast-down tests so that we can determine the drag and rolling resistance coefficients. If you also volunteer to do a couple of acceleration runs, that would be even better and we could get an approximate power curve. The power runs bit is not compulsory, but might be fun.

I reckon that it would take an evening to fit the logger and weigh the car (I’ll bring the corner scales) and less than half a day to do repeated runs in both directions to smooth out the data. I have a straight and flattish piece of road in mind hence the suggestion that the volunteer needs to come from the Leicester area. Very early one Sunday morning would be the best time for the testing - before the country folk get off to church.

Anybody interested? gtempleman "at" gmail.com will find me.

Thanks

Graham Templeman

Peteff - 18/7/07 at 09:40 AM

Could this be construed as testing or trialling as most people's insurance will be invalidated by such an understanding.

JacksAvon - 18/7/07 at 09:50 AM

could this also be 'construed' as having the craic

[Edited on 18/7/07 by JacksAvon]

MikeR - 18/7/07 at 12:45 PM

have a word with NS Dev - he might be interested if he's got the time.

iank - 18/7/07 at 12:55 PM

I'd bet they'd put some pics of the new grasser in the magazine as well

DarrenW - 18/7/07 at 03:51 PM

Nat was a name that sprung to my mind as well. Hope the datalogger has strong trousers and a sick bag ready