Board logo

bike race cans on lowcosts
escary - 14/8/02 at 12:40 PM

Just started on my build(and getting carried away already), and with a view to sva, using tuned xf has anyone used blue flame exhaust can?
Last product test showed 96db when bolted to a gsx1000r
And they look good too!

Champion Builder - 3/9/02 at 12:43 PM

I've seen and heard bike cans on modded cars and they look and sound Trick i'll probably convert my locost from DIY conglomerate exhaust system to DIY conglomerate system with either bike can at the back or a 'PIPER' back box- they also look and sound sweet! I say go for it.If its too loud, you might easily be able to stuff it in order to SVA it. Tell us what happens wit the bike can.

Mi167 - 16/10/02 at 04:46 PM

I plan on using a bike can for my locost, if its to loud i will just weld in a couple of baffels for the SVA

B3Saxo - 2/12/02 at 02:11 PM

I've got a carbon fibre can from a kawazaki ZFR400 on my Saxo!

It sounds amazing! Has a very different note to it than a standard stainless steel big bore jobbie!

Making yours as custom and individual is what it's all about!

StuartA - 3/12/02 at 12:20 PM

As they say in the biking fraternity 'loud pipes save lives (and small plates save licences)'....

Not sure SVA inspector would agree though!

chrisg - 3/12/02 at 11:59 PM

quote:

I've got a carbon fibre can from a kawazaki ZFR400 on my Saxo!

Doesn't that anoy the neighbours when your mum takes it shopping?

Cheers

Chris

B3Saxo - 4/12/02 at 04:17 AM

Is that supposed to be some sort of dig towards me?

chrisg - 4/12/02 at 08:53 PM

Yes,

Sorry, it's more a joke really, but you're obviously the serious type.

Nothing I ever say is serious.

Cheers

Chris

locodude - 4/12/02 at 09:16 PM

You are right to mock him chris, his car is french you know! I bet it has neon washer jets!

chrisg - 4/12/02 at 10:18 PM

I was going to ask if it actually HAS a switch to turn the front fog lights off, but I think I'm in for a big kicking as it is.

Cheers

Chris

B3Saxo - 5/12/02 at 03:15 AM

Sory chris, just some of the replies i've got latley on this board have made me wary.

If i'd have known fully it was in jest i would have posted differently.

!Neon jets! Erm, I think the motorbike can seems to give me more attention than I want off the local boy's in blue! They just don't fully appreciate my artistic nature!

B3Saxo - 5/12/02 at 03:18 AM

And if anyone can tell me where the switch is i'll be much appreciative!

chrisg - 5/12/02 at 10:46 PM

Glad to see it was taken in the spirit it was intended!

Maybe you could take the fuse out of the foglights?

Cheers

Chris

B3Saxo - 6/12/02 at 05:02 AM

If i'd switch my fogs off, I'd have to turn my sub's up louder to compensate!

escary - 18/2/03 at 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys
Think i'll take the single exit blue flame off my zx7rp2 and get a twin exit (they sound better i'm told).
Then hey presto spare blue flame onto the locost.
But so that B3saxo isn't the only one getting a slagging i'll have to come forward and admit that I've got a mk4 xr3 along with a 60mm drop at the rear and 15's, and to make matters worse have just bought a fiesta RS turbo.
Just because i'm building a lowcost doesn't mean i've got good taste.
Now where did i put my cliff richard and the young ones CD?

Peteff - 31/3/03 at 06:14 PM

In the f$%king bin I hope.

yours, Pete

Peteff - 5/7/03 at 07:37 PM

I got a used carbon fibre can for £20 from a bike shop round the corner I trial fitted it today and it sounds loud. Might sound quieter when I stop all the blows. It weighs about a fifth of my old home made silencer so I may restuff it to get the weight back up.

yours, Pete.

sgraber - 20/2/04 at 05:28 AM

FWIW - The Hayabusa Cans I put on my 4AGE sound fantastic. Bike cans are the way to go IMHO and you can get the stock ones very, very cheap on eBay as a lot of bike guys are replacing their stock ones with expensive carbon fiber units.

Aidanb - 15/5/04 at 01:58 PM

Is there a definitive answer to the legality of these?

Would love to have one of these, once I actually get a locost

theconrodkid - 15/5/04 at 02:43 PM

i was looking at these in my local maccess and wondering,are they really too noisy as they apear a bit "straight through"

escary - 23/5/04 at 03:29 PM

the legal issue, if it hasn't got a stamped E43 number then it isn't legal.

mines has an unfortunate stamp that says 'not for road use'.

but sounds good, reduces weight and (only very slightly, don't believe the hype) increases power.

did i mention they look good?

the reason i posted this thread was, is a can taken from a 750 bike that revs to 12500 gonna be restrictive when mated to a crossflow 1740 with twin 40's that'll rev to 6500 ish?

all comments appreciated.

Regards

Escary

Digger Barnes - 23/5/04 at 05:28 PM

My bike can has the same "Not for road use" on it, well actually it did have before the angle grinder decided that it wanted to give a light skimming. Followed with a riveted on patch with the correct numbers on (they only cost a couple of quid).

Anyway the gas flow issue should not be a problem as the total amount of gas produced with the car engine should not be significantly higher than the bike engine(a race can should only have the pressure drop of a similar piece of straight pipe of the same internal bore).

My race can only starts to get very noisy at about 6000-7000rpm so maybe it would not be to bad on a car?

[Edited on 23/5/04 by Digger Barnes]

Simon - 23/5/04 at 09:48 PM

It's only not legal if it's on a bike.

For your purposes, it needs to be below 101db - see SVA manual. If it is, it'll be legal (subject to other SVA requirements such as radii); if it's more it'll fail!

ATB

Simon

wilkingj - 22/8/04 at 09:02 PM

Methinks one of these Bike (non)-Silencers could be fun on my Landrover!.
A 2.5Litre Turbo'd and Intercooled Diesel.

I have already ditched the centre box as it rotted away at one end on the weld AGAIN.. So this time I just spaced it out with a bit of pipe I found lying in the shed.

To be perfectly honest its about 3% louder.
So now I only have the little resonator at the very back. ... So why have I been paying £55 every 3 years for a new centre box when it does stuff all!.. Its a CON like most things in life. They are just trying to Con your hard earned pennies from your wallet.

What's in Your Wallet??? Nuffin Mate, cos I listen to my Main Dealer!!!

Errr... No I bl**dy well dont!

Fixed the naval Smokescreen on my Lightweight Landy this weekend, and have two people interested in it (Its for Sale) ... If I sell it, the Locost build will be in full swing.

Geoff

proper car - 5/11/04 at 11:19 PM

bike cans are designed for bike's, believe it or not, have you ever taken one to bits. i cannot emphisise how much the back pressure is to get torque from a small engine, if you think your two litre pinto's sound and look fast with one of these cans on it, think again

paulf - 6/11/04 at 03:49 PM

Whats inside a bike can then?what back pressure?. I have one on my crossflow powered car and it is working a lot better than the car silencer that disintegrated within 500miles .
What is the best exhaust can to use then in your opinion?.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by proper car
bike cans are designed for bike's, believe it or not, have you ever taken one to bits. i cannot emphisise how much the back pressure is to get torque from a small engine, if you think your two litre pinto's sound and look fast with one of these cans on it, think again

proper car - 6/11/04 at 04:35 PM

the one i took to bits had three chambers and tubes going allways between them. when i used them on my engines they would not rev beyond 11000 RPM!

paulf - 6/11/04 at 04:42 PM

Well a proper race can is completely straight through, i have a zx9 can , it is 60mm bore with no baffles just a peforated tube wrapped in rockwool. I used a straight through car box to start with and the packing blew out ., this one is lasting much better but is a bit loud.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by proper car
the one i took to bits had three chambers and tubes going allways between them. when i used them on my engines they would not rev beyond 11000 RPM!

ch1ll1 - 12/10/05 at 08:12 PM

i fitted one on my car
made it very quiet (did have twin cherry bombs on which i didnt fit,hence took them off)

but then i fitted my twin 40's and the sound was totaly different (and no it wasnt the carb noise)

sounded deep and not too loud!
and gave more back pressure so it went better(even with the single carb)
as for the cherry bombs
i threw them as far as possible
but when i got the car it had been in a barn for 10 years
so that explanes that!

OX - 12/10/05 at 08:57 PM

if your worried about having an illegal bike silencer on your car ,wet and dry the "not " out so it reads "road legal" then get a jubilee clip and cut out the smooth part and stamp the letters bsau 193/t on it then rivet it to your silencer,this was one of required stamps needed for all none standard road cans to get a bike through its mot. wont help you with the sva tho ..havnt done any mot's now for 9 months so things may have changed

8ball s7 - 7/11/05 at 11:28 AM

i got a bike can on my r-hood s7 mine is actually quieter than the original exhaust.

sounds nicer mind.

flew through the mot with it on too!