Board logo

Boilersuit Cleaning
MakeEverything - 21/2/10 at 09:32 PM

Hi,
Ive got three sets of single layer Nomex overalls that i use in the garage, which desperately need cleaning. Some are covered in oil / grease more than the others, but in general they all need cleaning.

If i put them in the machine, will it cock up the washing machine for the next whites wash?

Im not worried about the Nomex Properties and i know they should be dry cleaned and washed a maximum number of times, but they are just old suits that i salvaged from the scrap bin a while back.

JoelP - 21/2/10 at 09:54 PM

i'd just set them off with a serious amount of powder, see what happens. At worst, its a new machine

blakep82 - 21/2/10 at 09:57 PM

my mum used to put my dads proban ones in the wash all the time. never did any damage to the machine

what sort of damage were you expecting? at worst, i think the fireproofing stuff might wash out (not sure exactly how nomex works right enough)

[Edited on 21/2/10 by blakep82]

Canada EH! - 21/2/10 at 10:05 PM

If you are worried that the grease will foul the washer and uset swmbo, take them to the coin laundry, been doing it for years.

chrsgrain - 21/2/10 at 10:16 PM

Our local launderette keeps a machine aside for dog blankets, rugby gear, overalls etc etc... probably the best place to take them.

Chris

blakep82 - 21/2/10 at 10:31 PM

as for oil, grease, fibreglass dust and stuff, mine have been through the machine loads of times.

adithorp - 21/2/10 at 10:32 PM

Just stick them in. Use a none bio' deturgent and wash on the hotest setting. Biologicals don't work at high temp.
I've been washing my work overalls that way for the last 30 years and my mums washed my dads for longer than that. If you're worried put it through a wash cycle with just detergent and no washing to clear it out before washing normal clothes...but I've never bothered.

adrian

hillbillyracer - 21/2/10 at 11:05 PM

I'm an agric engineer & have been washing mine in the same machine as the rest of the stuff for 17 years now, only on the second machine in that time too!
But I always follow boilersuits with the rest of my work clothes which get nothing like as dirty so the machine gets a clean through before anything that matters goes in.
There's not been a problem in all that time but now I'm getting a house with the girlfreind I can see she'll not take kindly to her gear going in the same machine!

Peteff - 21/2/10 at 11:13 PM

I soak mine in a bucket of hot water with washing liquid/powder and agitate them with a brush handle, like the old ponch tub, before I throw them in for a wash and rinse. They never come out perfectly clean but it saves a bit of grime for the machine I think.

se7en - 21/2/10 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Just stick them in. Use a none bio' deturgent and wash on the hotest setting. Biologicals don't work at high temp.
I've been washing my work overalls that way for the last 30 years and my mums washed my dads for longer than that. If you're worried put it through a wash cycle with just detergent and no washing to clear it out before washing normal clothes...but I've never bothered.

adrian

It is OK to machine wash your overalls but you DONT want to wash them at the highest temp, that will make them shrink and could also affect the fire retardent properties of the cloth. Wash them at the temp suggested by the wash powder/liquid makers.

The missus washes my proban overalls regularly using the instructions from the detergent maker.

speedyxjs - 22/2/10 at 08:48 AM

Mine all go through the machine no probs

David Jenkins - 22/2/10 at 08:59 AM

Mine gets soaked in a bucket of Arial for a while before going in the washing machine...

(It's like Woman's Weekly in here lately! )

carpmart - 22/2/10 at 10:48 AM

We will be turning this forum into the WI if were not careful!

iank - 3/3/10 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
We will be turning this forum into the WI if were not careful!

Anyone got a decent jam recipe?

rusty nuts - 3/3/10 at 09:13 PM

Take one punnet of strawberries,