Board logo

Recommend me an oil removal pump
nick205 - 30/1/12 at 09:09 PM

Planning on servicing both tin tops next month and I'm after recommendations for an oil removal pump. I'm prepared to spend a reasonable amount as it's easily recouped in garage servicing costs.

What do the LCB collective recommend...?

tomgregory2000 - 30/1/12 at 09:27 PM

Any pella oil extractor gets my vote

I have one of these click on me is a pella 650 more info here

edit: DONT GET AN ELECTRIC ONE AS THEY ARE JUST CRAP

[Edited on 30/1/12 by tomgregory2000]

britishtrident - 30/1/12 at 09:29 PM

Pela 6000 also sold under Draper and Sealey brand names, Sealey version is generally much more expensive. Yacht chandlers are usually the cheapest place to buy by a large margin.

The Pela extractor used also to be sold under the Seago brand name but the current Seago is now identical to the less robust Silverline brand.

You can also get 12v electric extractor pumps from chandlers.

It is worth buying the small Silverline 1.5ltr extractor for smaller jobs.

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/1/12 at 09:30 PM

got a pela pump for using on the yacht boat and we used it on the smart both have no sump plugs very good

tomgregory2000 - 30/1/12 at 09:33 PM

ALSO DO NOT BUY THE SEAGO ONE

I work in a chandlery and see so many of the seago ones returned, have NEVER seen a pella one returned in 10 years

nick205 - 30/1/12 at 09:44 PM

Just looking at the PELA ones now - the 6000 model looks about right for a one hit removal.

Best price seems around £45 which is ~ an hrs labour rate so also an instant saving too!

needforspeed - 30/1/12 at 09:51 PM

sorry am i completely missing something here why cant you just drain it?

nick205 - 30/1/12 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by needforspeed
sorry am i completely missing something here why cant you just drain it?

I can and have many many times on many different cars. However, both current tin tops have full plastic undertrays which would have to be removed to get at the drain plugs. The prospect of not having to crawl around under the cars and the oil going straight into a container I can transport to the council tip for recycling is also pretty appealing.

needforspeed - 30/1/12 at 10:20 PM

rite ok im with you!

will121 - 31/1/12 at 07:30 AM

I looked at same problem with under trays, but can you still get at the oil filter ok from above?

needforspeed - 31/1/12 at 07:54 AM

yeah most paper filters are above which you unscrew and drain into the sump and some have a little panel rather than takeing the full undertray off. have you looked at the mitivac unit? got one of snap on around a year ago now and its bloody brilliant use it every other day for filling gearboxes etc etc and never fails!

britishtrident - 31/1/12 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Just looking at the PELA ones now - the 6000 model looks about right for a one hit removal.

Best price seems around £45 which is ~ an hrs labour rate so also an instant saving too!

You may find it even cheaoer than that try a Google shopping search.

britishtrident - 31/1/12 at 09:26 AM

quote:
rite ok im with you!

Big advantage is it is totally mess free. These tools drain the sump very effectively especially if you tilt the car slightly to get the dip stick tube at the lowest point.

nick205 - 31/1/12 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

You may find it even cheaoer than that try a Google shopping search.

Now purchased from http://www.seamarknunn.com/ for £37.90 inc. delivery - happy with that

nick205 - 31/1/12 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
I looked at same problem with under trays, but can you still get at the oil filter ok from above?

Not too bad on the Alhambra, but the Passat looks a little more arm twisting.

nick205 - 14/2/12 at 12:43 PM

My Pela 6000 oil extractor arrived this morning, looks a good bit of kit!

The cars might get serviced sooner than they think just so I can have a play with it

MikeRJ - 14/2/12 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
rite ok im with you!

Big advantage is it is totally mess free. These tools drain the sump very effectively especially if you tilt the car slightly to get the dip stick tube at the lowest point.

I have the small Pela extractor and with my car parked on my fairly steep driveway it appears to drain the sump more effectively than the sump plug does.

Hugh_ - 14/2/12 at 02:00 PM

It's worth being a bit gentle with the tube as you put it down the dipstick, I managed to nick the plastic outer which gives it its air-tightnes and is a pain getting any tape to stick once it's got oily...