Board logo

Abingdon trackday July
scutter - 22/6/09 at 09:27 AM

After having a good time at Lydden, I'd thought I'd try another this time closer to home.

Anyone fancy joining me at Abingdon on the 24th July? from what i can gather they book up quite quickly so the normal "I'll hold out to see if it rains" doesn't normally work.

Linky , Cost is £119 and noise limit is 100dB.

If enough interest i'll drop them a line to see about discounts.

ATB Dan.

GeoffT - 22/6/09 at 10:30 AM

Hi Dan, yup I should be ok for that. Unfortunately my pal with the towing rig can't make that date so I'd have to drive the car there, but it's a lot nearer than Lydden, so not too bad.

About time AA relay earned their cash anyway......

whitestu - 22/6/09 at 12:13 PM

I fancy coming along, but the noise limit worries me. Any idea how strict they are?

Stu

[Edited on 22/6/09 by whitestu]

GaryM - 22/6/09 at 01:09 PM

I could be tempted.

scutter - 22/6/09 at 07:53 PM

Stu, I can ask about at the local 7 club and see, also you could get your flask back, might even fill it for you

Goeff, I won't be trailering there, but my towcar and trailer are only 20min away if anything bad happens.

ATB Dan.

GeoffT - 22/6/09 at 08:44 PM

Thanks for the trailering offer Dan.

It shouldn't be necessary though, as the AA breakdown booklet states (rather surprisingly...!) that trackdays are covered by their scheme. With my current lack of decent oil pressure I might be testing that out...

You can put me down as a 'definite' for the day though.....

JUD - 22/6/09 at 09:45 PM

Dan, count me in on this. Only proviso will be if a blagged day at Cadwell conflicts.

Cheers

Martin

whitestu - 23/6/09 at 07:37 AM

quote:

Stu, I can ask about at the local 7 club and see, also you could get your flask back, might even fill it for you

Thanks Dan

I've got a Db meter at home, just not sure how accurate it is. I'll have a go at measuring it this weekend. If all is OK I'm up for it assuming I can get the day off.

Stu

scutter - 23/6/09 at 03:55 PM

Bugger, the usual suspects again, that'll be me at the back again

ATB Dan.

JUD - 23/6/09 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Bugger, the usual suspects again, that'll be me at the back again

ATB Dan.

Get Cheffy to stick some wheels on one of his chassis... you will be quicker than that !

scutter - 23/6/09 at 07:27 PM

Worry is it might corner better then my car.

I've Emailed Motorsport events to ask about discounts, still awaiting a reply.

ATB Dan.

Jasper - 25/6/09 at 04:00 PM

Just been pointed to this thread after starting a new one. Hope to be doing this with a mate in his Caterham as well, just got to sort out a few bits first, maybe book it tomorrow.

GeoffT - 25/6/09 at 04:15 PM

quote:

Just been pointed to this thread after starting a new one. Hope to be doing this with a mate in his Caterham as well, just got to sort out a few bits first, maybe book it tomorrow.

......your remarks about the circuit may be worth repeating here Jasper, might encourage a few more 'maybe's' to have a go.....

Jasper - 25/6/09 at 06:17 PM

Ok, so as I was saying in the thread I just deleted:

Airfield track days are an excellent way to drive your car in a way you wouldn't necessarily do on the road, without the somewhat daunting prospect of driving on a proper racing circuit. I know the first time I went around Donny and Brands the pulse rate was pretty high, not wanting to end up in the gravel and getting the tow truck out, or hitting a solid barrier.

Airfield are brilliant as there's nothing to hit, just acres of flat grass beyond the already very wide expanse of tarmac/concrete. The worse thing your going to hit is a cone, and as there no overtaking around corners the chances of taking somebody else are are minimal.

So you can spend the day getting use to getting the rear end sideways and finding the limits of handling, braking, etc without any real risks to yourself, other people or your car, or your license for that matter.

And you tend to get more novices at airfield days, as the more experience people move onto circuits.

So if your thinking about taking your car off road, then they really are the best place to start, and until your driven a seven like it was meant to be driven you really don't know what you're missing.

One last thing, if your worried about your car and tires and brakes etc, don't, our cars are so light it doesn't have a huge impact on tire and brake wear, much less so than in a tin-top.

Hope that gets a few more of you thinking about having a go.

scutter - 25/6/09 at 07:32 PM

Sweet, we'll see you there Jasper, I've yet to see the new beast.

To add to Jaspers comments, you've no need to limit yourselfs to 7's. Any car can be fun just look at the current bunch of clios and fiestas that are having a great time and seeing what the old hot hatch can do.

If your worried about the track on airfield check out this youtube link taken from a westy only 6 days ago.

I've had a responce from MSE about discounts it reads as follows;

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for the email and we would of course be thrilled to have a group of you at one of our events. I am sure you appreciate our events are very good value for money and therefore we cannot offer a discount on the event price however for groups of 10 or more we offer a free lesson worth £20 for each main driver.

Our Abingdon event in July is filling fast, I would therefore suggest that if you would like a group of you to book in let me know how many of you there are and I can hold the places for you.

I hope this and if you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,

Natasha

So, come on you lot. ATB Dan.

Jasper - 25/6/09 at 08:25 PM

Not looking so good for me now, got a work thing booked, gonna try and get out of it.....

JUD - 25/6/09 at 09:36 PM

Watched the vid. Looks good.

Dan, what's the plan - are you going to block some places or should we do our own thing? If you are booking it then you will need to see how we sort payment. Would be easiest if we all paid separately - if you get to your 10 headcount then we can give names to the organisers and sort the tuition on the day.

If you are worried about speed then stick Cheffy in with me

Cheers

Martin

ETA: Should know about Cadwell this weekend.

[Edited on 25/6/09 by JUD]

Jasper - 26/6/09 at 01:16 PM

Ditched the work commitment and just paid my fee, yeehah ... it's been a few years since the last one and I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Hopefully I'll be able to raise the £380 I need before then to get it rolling roaded and properly set up, otherwise I'll just be running the base map which won't be anyhting like as much fun.

Johneturbo - 26/6/09 at 02:49 PM

I'm really tempted with this(just checked availability) just a bit worried about the noise limit, is it a drive by limit?

i have a road legal Akropovic can but i don't know how loud it is!

not taken the mnr on track and it has to be done

dan__wright - 26/6/09 at 02:56 PM

i would but cars not ready for track yet
need to swap the diff, get a new end can, get it mapped & some sump mods before i can get out there

[Edited on 26/6/09 by dan__wright]

Jasper - 26/6/09 at 03:34 PM

You've got 4 weeks man, what's the problem

scutter - 26/6/09 at 03:50 PM

I've confirmed my booking.
Dan, can you not find a helpful person with a noise meter? Your ZX10 will have enough power no matter what the diff, that just leaves to sump, sure a mornings work

ATB Dan.

GeoffT - 26/6/09 at 04:26 PM

Just made my booking. I called myself a novice as I haven't been here before - if that doesn't work out hopefully I can change that on the day. Which group do you guys go for?

[Edited on 26/6/09 by GeoffT]

dan__wright - 26/6/09 at 05:47 PM

how fast a track is it? Top out at 102 at the mo, got the diff just need the bolt on shafts and hubs. Sump is a billet job so will be expensive, map really needs doing as its way off and im well over the noise limit i have a meter and its bad lol. Im away next week but then im off 4 a week. Will see what i can do!

scutter - 26/6/09 at 05:50 PM

Geoff, i've booked Novice as well.
Dan, your more than welcome to try my R1 can out as i've just ask Mr907 to knock an silencer up for me.

ATB Dan.

dan__wright - 26/6/09 at 05:57 PM

that would be ace, thankyou! Just diff (depending how fast the circuit is) and sump to sort

Jasper - 26/6/09 at 10:22 PM

Think it's drive-by check - but worth a check ....

Dan, it's a fast circuit, 102mph will be a pain, I did another airfield car in my first car and was topping out at 95, it drove me nuts...

dan__wright - 27/6/09 at 08:38 AM

i might be able to make this now.
malc confirmed i dont need any sump

mods on my engine for the odd track day
founbd somone on here selling bolt on shafts so i can change diff
will just run a slightly rich map to be safe then its just the noise to sort

whitestu - 27/6/09 at 03:28 PM

Right, just tested with my really basic db meter and either it overeads [which I think it does] or my car is really noisy.

It was going over 100bd from about 2500 rpm. Is my car really that loud?

It passed SVA no probs with the same exhaust and the CVH engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Stu

GaryM - 29/6/09 at 02:58 PM

I've done Abingdon twice now.

Noise is metered at scrutineering and I think they have a drive by too but it can't be that accurate as the circuit is very very wide and i've never spotted the meter as i've driven round.

They claim to be very strict on noise........and lap timing and driving standards and just about everything but that does mean the day runs like clockwork and is probably very safe.

Gary

[Edited on 29/6/09 by GaryM]

whitestu - 29/6/09 at 04:59 PM

Thanks

I've just tried my car with a an R1 can pushed onto the downpipe and it is much much quieter than the Westy on at the mo.

Just need to properly fit it now and reckon it will be fine.

Stu

asl - 30/6/09 at 09:09 PM

I'm booked on. See you all there!!

whitestu - 1/7/09 at 02:30 PM

Booked on as well now!!

quote:

Black with 2 sugars please Dan

Stu

[Edited on 1/7/09 by whitestu]

GeoffT - 1/7/09 at 03:21 PM

Looking like a good turnout from Locostbuilders. Dan, as chief organiser could you order up some sunshine, but with maybe slightly lower temperatures....

Just a thought, do they have any catering facilities on site?

Johneturbo - 1/7/09 at 04:16 PM

I'm booked now
just need to put standard can back on to be on safe side.
as i've never been there before i'm down as a novice.

Geoff, doesn't say anything about food, but says there is a tesco near by

edited to say
just read this on the pdf file i received from them--
A catering van will be on hand all day to provide hot and cold drinks and food. Breakfast will be
available from 8.30am.

[Edited on 1/7/09 by Johneturbo]

GeoffT - 1/7/09 at 05:38 PM

Greasy spoon and a cuppa will do me just fine

scutter - 2/7/09 at 09:55 AM

Stu, i'm all over it

To collate all the names together we have;

Myself
geoffT
Whitestu
Jasper
Johneturbo
Asl

Possibly;

Dan wright
Hicost
Jud

I'll see what i can do about the weather

ATB Dan.

Jasper - 2/7/09 at 03:04 PM

Just got my car booked in for it's rolling road session to get it all set up on the 15th, so it will have proper power for the first time

Bring it on .....

JUD - 3/7/09 at 02:34 PM

I'm booked on!

Looking forward to it already!

scutter - 9/7/09 at 05:09 PM

OK folks i'm trying to decided if i'm trailering or not, Who is and what are tthey bringing with them?

I was thinking of a pool of tools and the like, save on everyone bringing the same thing.

ATB Dan.

JUD - 9/7/09 at 08:02 PM

I will be trying to blag a trailer, if I manage I will bring:

(a) Fuel - for me
(b) Oil - for me
(c) Water
(d) Socket set
(e) Trolley Jack
(f) Assorted tools
(g) Choc-blocs, tape, cable ties etc
(h) tyre pressure gauge and pump
(i) Funnels (oil and fuel)
(j) Rags and cloths

Plus some other stuff I expect.

Will find out if the trailer is a goer in the next few days.

Martin

Jasper - 10/7/09 at 08:13 PM

Yup, trailer too hopefully with everything mentioned above.

bob - 10/7/09 at 09:23 PM

Did i hear someone mention catering

I am trying to get the day off but its not lloking good, i will probably know by the 19th which is the Uxbridge autoshow.

dan__wright - 11/7/09 at 08:00 AM

im trying to get car ready for this but not sure if i will make it yet.

im only 10 miles away (and work about 2 mins away) from the air field so if you need anything give us a shout, may come along and spectate anyway if i cant make it to drive.

scutter - 12/7/09 at 04:03 PM

Dan, I've just picked up a sound meter, I'll bring it tuesday. we can see what noises your making

ATB Dan.

dan__wright - 12/7/09 at 07:26 PM

tested it today,

now zorst should be here tuesday and pipe for it made on wednesday

Cheffy - 14/7/09 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JUD

If you are worried about speed then stick Cheffy in with me

That should slow things up nicely. If I can't make it just use a boat anchor instead!

Mart.

JUD - 20/7/09 at 08:13 PM

Off to Switzerland for a few days (work) so I am packed up already.

I will be trailering and am bringing:

Fuel - 60 litres
Oil
Funnels
Water
Socket Set
Spanners
Assorted tools
Tyre Pressure Gauge
Foot Pump
Jump Leads (is Mark Chandler going )
Trolley Jack
Cable ties, tape, rags and other consumables
Crash Helmet
Seat
Light waterproofs for driving
Large waterproof coat for pit use
Big umbrella
Car rain hood thing
Fleece
Gloves
Drivers license - both bits
Money

Not sure we will need sun cream...

I won't be bringing a camera as I never use them!

I guess there will be catering there unless Bob has blagged his day off and fancies doing some catering - in which case Bob let me know what I need to bring food wise.

Will try and persuade somebody to bring an easyup gazebo thing that we can use if it is raining.

Cheers

Martin

asl - 21/7/09 at 06:26 AM

Hi all. I can't find anywhere the finish time, does anyone happen to know? Looking forward to it!!

whitestu - 21/7/09 at 07:58 AM

The weather forecast is looking worse for Friday than it was when I looked yesterday

Hope it changes again!!

I tested my noise level with my R1 can on yesterday and it was less then 100db at about 5k rpm so hopefully should be fine assuming my meter is accurate.

Stu

[Edited on 21/7/09 by whitestu]

Jasper - 21/7/09 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by asl
Hi all. I can't find anywhere the finish time, does anyone happen to know? Looking forward to it!!

Whatever it is, chance either you or the car will have had enough by then anyway!!!

Usually around 5pm though I think....

Johneturbo - 21/7/09 at 06:59 PM

I'm thinking of bringing my wet suit and snorkel for friday

i should also have a support vehicle, for tools and stuff

but what ever the weather i can't wait

GeoffT - 23/7/09 at 09:41 AM

Thought I saw when I booked this something saying details would be sent in the week before the event, but I've received nothing in the post as yet.

I'm just wondering what time they book in, drivers briefing, etc. Think I'll just aim for around 0830 and hope that's ok...

Feeling pretty gutted by the forecast, let's hope there's some nice long sunny spells between the showers......

whitestu - 23/7/09 at 11:57 AM

Here you go Geoff - mine was emailed to me.

I can't believe how bad the weather forecast is!
-------------------------
Please aim to arrive for signing on from 0900. Being late might mean you miss the driver's briefing and/
or some of your driving sessions. The drivers briefing will be at 0930. If we do not see your licence and receive the signed indemnity
you will not drive. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.

[Edited on 23/7/09 by whitestu]

Jasper - 23/7/09 at 03:07 PM

Packing the car and loading the trailer as we speak - shame about the crappy forecast though

asl - 23/7/09 at 03:44 PM

Car is on trailer ready to go!! Almost made a massive mistake when I found the MK keys in my jean pocket as I got changed, would have been really fed up if I got all the way without keys.

Have got tools, jack, compressor and drill (to put holes in the seats to avoid sitting in a puddle!!)

have just checked the aviation forcast for Brize Norton and that isn't too bad, just 40% chance of showers lasting less than 30 minutes. Heathrow forcast is worse but will double check tonight for benson and oxford as aviation forcasts are normally pretty good!

whitestu - 23/7/09 at 03:49 PM

quote:

have just checked the aviation forcast for Brize Norton and that isn't too bad, just 40% chance of showers lasting less than 30 minutes. Heathrow forcast is worse but will double check tonight for benson and oxford as aviation forcasts are normally pretty good!

I firmly believe it won't rain at all!!

I'll be driving the Indy there so if it does I'll be wet by the time i arrive

Stu

asl - 23/7/09 at 05:09 PM

has anyone got a circuit layout diagram?

Jasper - 23/7/09 at 07:13 PM

Check their web site, there's one on there.

whitestu - 23/7/09 at 07:34 PM

Watch this Youtube vid- gives a good idea of the circuit.

Stu

Johneturbo - 23/7/09 at 08:44 PM

Popped to homebase and bought a £20 gazebo! as long as i can keep my ass dry i'll be happy

JUD - 23/7/09 at 08:52 PM

Can you bloody believe it - car is off the road. A joint at the rear of the prop shaft has gone. It is one of those pressed joins, so I can't fix it without MK fettling it

Gonna try and get along as I may be able to blag a go in a mates Caterham... so I may still see you there.

Martin

scutter - 24/7/09 at 08:09 PM

Sorry you couldn't make it Mart. Good day was had by all, the rain did liven things up a little

Did anyone get the name of the photographer who was about the track, before i Email MSE.

ATB Dan.

asl - 24/7/09 at 08:54 PM

Hi Dan. Sorry don't know but if it helps they said the photos will be uploaded onto the mse website. Cheers nathan

scutter - 24/7/09 at 09:07 PM

I thought he said they'd be on the photographers site, can't find any links on the MSE site to any photos what so ever.

ATB Dan.

JUD - 24/7/09 at 09:10 PM

Any video/pics/funny stories?

Can't believe I missed it...

Couldn't bring myself to come and do billy runs - it would have been too frustrating!

[Edited on 24/7/09 by JUD]

scutter - 24/7/09 at 09:38 PM

Can't remember the photographers name but will email MSE to thank them and ask.

I'm sure there will be some vids along shortly.

ATB Dan.

whitestu - 25/7/09 at 09:35 AM

Not sure if this is it - this guy has done some MSE track days.

Linky

BTW I got very very wet driving home!

Stu

GeoffT - 25/7/09 at 10:23 AM

quote:

BTW I got very very wet driving home!

...probably won't make you feel any better saying I got my homeward timing about right, and got back pretty much dry.

The day could have been much worse though, it was a fair bit better than forecast, just the one major downfall midday.

Due to the problems of trying to operate the camera behind my back without being able to see the screen, I haven't got too much useful video, but should have something worth posting. It'll need cropping, etc, to keep youtube happy (which is always a stern test of my limited computer skills..) but I'll try and post it over the weekend.

Johneturbo - 25/7/09 at 10:30 AM

hey guys
This is the link that is on the motorsport-events paperwork

Here

they've not been uploaded yet thou

Deffo will be back to Abingdon

ETA

I'm not gona make you feel better stu either!,

i left a few mins before you, just got to the esso station, then there was a heavy shower, so waited 10 mins then it cleared. just got a bit damp from road spray!

i think we were lucky with the weather for the day actually

[Edited on 25/7/09 by Johneturbo]

whitestu - 25/7/09 at 10:35 AM

quote:

...probably won't make you feel any better saying I got my homeward timing about right, and got back pretty much dry.

I wasn't that bothered to be honest, although driving down the M40 with a couple of inches of standing water was fun! Being stuck in traffic with it pissing down was also a bit frustrating!

The car didn't miss a beat though!

Need to get my prop sorted for next time.

I got two videos, but on the second with my big spin in it the camera lens had steamed up so its hard to see much.

I'll post the better one later.

Stu

[Edited on 25/7/09 by whitestu]

Johneturbo - 25/7/09 at 10:40 AM

Yep i've got a little list of jobs to do now!

with my fuel pick on the lower left hand side of the tank and the track being anti clockwise didn't help!

asl - 26/7/09 at 08:18 AM

Thankyou for subscribing to the gallery notification system at richardsloman.comWe're pleased to announce that the images from the Motorsport-Events trackday at Abingdon are now online.Yours sincerelyRichard Slomanwww.richardsloman.com

asl - 26/7/09 at 09:04 AM

Actual link: http://www.richardsloman.com/events/mse-20090724-abingdon/page/1

spdpug98 - 26/7/09 at 06:09 PM

Did anyone have any issues with the sound test, I am thinking of doing Abingdon on the 28th August (if I can get some miles on the car before then) and have seen the limit is 100dB

I only just scraped through SVA and now have my road can on and am sure it is over 100db maybe only 101/102dB but over none the less.

Jasper - 27/7/09 at 11:32 AM

They are strict on noise, over 100db and you won't be allowed on.

scutter - 27/7/09 at 04:14 PM

Come on gent's where are the videos?

ATB Dan.

GeoffT - 27/7/09 at 07:01 PM

Here you go :-

Video

......not the most eventful trackday vid I'm afraid. I pull over to let a very rapid Porsche GT3R go by, you can just about hear me miss 4th gear as I desperately try to hang on to him down the main runway. Likewise with the black Elise, who goes by and immediately conks out, which heralded the end of that session, just as I was starting to enjoy it.

whitestu - 28/7/09 at 11:22 AM

This is my only video - my camera got a bit wet and still hasn't recovered .

At least I've almost sorted my propshaft problems, so should be able to give it a bit more welly next time!

You tube link.

Stu

scutter - 28/7/09 at 06:19 PM

Cheers Stu, Looking forward to the next one already, just spent the day getting my V6 gearbox to work so will hopefully be better geared.
Would you be able to Email me you MJ spark map?

ATB Dan.

whitestu - 28/7/09 at 06:42 PM

quote:

Would you be able to Email me you MJ spark map?

It's on my laptop so I'll send it over tomorrow.

Stu

scutter - 28/7/09 at 07:11 PM

Jasper - 30/7/09 at 01:59 PM

I bought the set of pictures of my car at Abingdon, that guy took some really great shots, didn't think £20 was bad for 50 high-res images, especially as car will probably get sold..... Rescued attachment RSMSE200907242631.jpg
Rescued attachment RSMSE200907242631.jpg

whitestu - 30/7/09 at 02:08 PM

I bought the photo set as well. The guy took some really good pics.

Stu

Johneturbo - 31/7/09 at 02:11 PM

Great vids guys, i dont have any sadly
but least there were some good pictures taken

so who fancys a next time then!?

whitestu - 31/7/09 at 02:21 PM

I'm up for another go, but won't be for a while as I don't have much holiday left.

At least my prop is sorted now so should be a bit more competitive.

Johneturbo - 31/7/09 at 02:27 PM

good news with the prop Stu

did you get the joint changed over for a smaller one or give the tunnel a good whack!

whitestu - 31/7/09 at 02:36 PM

It seemed much easier to move the 2 chassis members that the joint was hitting than to change the joint. Also, I'm sure the bigger joint will be stronger.

I just cut out the two pieces of box section it was hitting and welded in some new pieces a couple of inches back. I then welded in some 5mm bar where the original pieces had been to keep some strength.

There is now about 30mm gap either side of the joint.

Stu

asl - 31/7/09 at 11:09 PM

I will definately go next time! Jonny, can you take me out in the mnr next time as want to see the difference of an R1. My winter upgrade may be an engine change!

Johneturbo - 3/8/09 at 01:25 PM

Yep will do matey, as long as you can stomach my driving

i'm thinking maybe end of september possibly!

asl - 3/8/09 at 01:45 PM

Cool. Are you doing / interested in doing the silverstone southern track day on the 1st September?

Johneturbo - 3/8/09 at 02:23 PM

Just had a look, properly going to give that one a miss. i've got a list of jobs to do on the car before the next one.....but you never know!