Board logo

Detling Sat 7th April
greenwood03 - 14/3/12 at 09:40 AM

so the question is....anyone going, or planning on going?

Guess most know that the new organizers are the same folks that lay on Stoneleigh and we're hoping that a fresh injection of enthusiasm wil help regenerate what was becoming a quieter Show. Like any other Show the key facets are interlinked: the punters need to see a good range of cars, the owners need things to interest them through the day or weekend and of course the traders need footfall.
As the main kit focused Show in the south east it would be great to think that all 3 parties as above can have a good result!

Last year we ( skcc ) tried to pull out all the stops to make it a fun day for us and hopefully for those that wandered onto the Pitch. Link to photo thread here SKCC Detling 2011

We parked the cars up in a more random way, jacked a few up or used axle stands, had a bit of music, bbq, FAQ's on the cars and looped video showing a few things that we'd been up to - run outs road trips, awydays to France etc.

This year we're planning a similar effort, albeit with the focus purely on the Saturday ( likely too cold for camping up on that hill)!

So if there are any stragglers ( meant in a nice way ) who would be turning up and not knowing too many others, or who are part of a marque that doesnt have a dedicated pitch - why not join us? We found last time that having a large number of cars gave us the opportunity to see old pals and make new ones and the day passed really swiftly and was thorughly enjoyable.
As an aside. We have permission from the organizers to have a few bits of non kit car candy on the stand ( no not dolly birds )....just a few interesting cars, we fancied that as it would make a change for us to see something other than a 'kit' and would provide a different level of interest. So we have feelers out amongst our pals to see who knows someone that fancies attending a show and who has a potentially suitable car ( examples so far - Wileys Jeep, Eleanor 'Stang etc)....
so if you're coming along and have a pal with a bike, car - whatever that fancies joining in....give me a shout please.

many of us will have a pre-meet brekkie about 10 miles east of the Show and then trot over in formation....

( oh and i hope that this thread doesn't disintegrate into a negative fest about how good or bad any car shows are, let's focus on teh positive, there is a show and as usual those that are going can sit in silence next to their cars, wander around and buy a bit of carpet or better? join in some banter with likeminded folks).....

Macbeast - 14/3/12 at 09:48 AM

I hope to be there and, as last year, would like to join you on your pitch.

contaminated - 14/3/12 at 10:08 AM

The photo thread brings it all back Mark - including the hangover! let's hope it's another good one this year.

bi22le - 14/3/12 at 12:56 PM

Great timing Mark.

I was on SKCC looking to see what the plans were only last night. I would love to come to Detling and get on the SKCC stand. I may even clean the car!

I will get involved with the breakfast run,camping (if any) and LOLing too if others are. Ill also see if I can get another kit car driver involved (Mazie on here has a Fury).

Will be good to catch up with the SKCC massive, not seen you since last summer. But then again, it is a seasonal sport.

adithorp - 14/3/12 at 04:35 PM

I was thinking that as it's moved to Easter weekend I might come down (providing I don't take a late deal to Mallorca). Can anybody recommend B+B accom nearby with secure parking? Don't fancy camping in April.

greenwood03 - 14/3/12 at 06:12 PM

tlodge or premier inn 1 junc back at Maidstone, the one is Aylesford, thats 10 mins from teh Ground.....

bi22le - 14/3/12 at 06:17 PM

Camping is fun, the colder the better

I camped out a few years ago in January. We all woke up to snow fall and crows pecking at the left overs of our lamb spit roast left out over night. Yes it was a full lamb we had eaten in one night, it took a whole day to cook. . . . .mmmm

greenwood03 - 21/3/12 at 11:32 AM

no more takers for Detling then??

mazie - 1/4/12 at 02:08 PM

Anybody on here going next weekend? Anyone camping ?

greenwood03 - 2/4/12 at 01:04 PM

@ Mazie, if you come down and find yourself on your lonesome welcoem to come and park up with us on teh southernkitcars pitch which is L+M just outside the main hall. If the weather holds numbers looking good with 40+ of us now committed. We'll only be there on teh Saturday though.........if you do rock up either way come and find us for a natter/banter.....
cheers
mark

mazie - 2/4/12 at 08:17 PM

Thanks for the invite but Unfortunatly it seems the roll bar isn't going to be ready now and I don't fancy driving without one either. I'll be at stoneleigh in may if your attending.
Russ

Michael - 2/4/12 at 08:37 PM

What happens at Detling for entry, obviously its free for driver and £5 for passenger, but do you just turn up and park or need to let them know your coming?

Its my first year with the car to display adding that I only drove it the first time on the road Saturday to the paintshop to get the last panel done and then (fingers crossed) Wednesday it will be fully painted. Detling has been the target date, although I did not plan to be this close to that date.

Cheers Michael

greenwood03 - 2/4/12 at 09:15 PM

you just turn up - simple as that. the Kits are directed to the Show area and the tin tops are hustled to the general car park. If you do have a passenger they take the money at the gate before letting your car through. Know what you mean about cutting it fine...was in 2 minds about doing a bit of touching up on my car, then last week a bizarre accident.....parked it in a hurry after an evening run and let the hounds out for their evening pee.....unfortunately i parked it near a cut through in a shrubbery.....one of them hit the rear arch at warp speed and knackered the gelo coat ( he got 2 cuts and the doggie equivalent of a bloody big headache)......so its gone to paintshop today.........

anyway, if you make it def come over and see us, or find us with the car....as you're firmly in our patch for run outs in that interests you.....

Michael - 2/4/12 at 09:28 PM

Yes thanks for that will pop over as we have corresponded on here before about joining the group. I am more of a park in a group at the show, as the car will likely be more secure that way.

If there is any sign of bad weather it we will both stay at home. I think I last went to Detling in 2009 or 2010 and it was pooring it down.

Michael

russbost - 3/4/12 at 08:52 AM

Just a bit of a "Heads up" from a manufacturers point of view - I booked a stand for the Furore F1 at Detling last week & got the last of the standard size stands, organisers only had a few of the small stands left, so you should expect a full hall with regards to manufacturers displays.

Hope to see a few of you down there, it's nice to see that there hasn't been the same sort of apathy & negativity towards shows shown here that I've seen elsewhere, you guys do need to get behind this or there'll be no shows left to go to in a few years!

greenwood03 - 6/4/12 at 01:54 PM

well the support van should turn up in the next hour or so to pack in all the gear for tomorrow.
if the weather stays kind looks like we'll have upwards of 45 cars on the pitch.....bbq, banter.......
pitch is z-ae if anyone is turning up on their lonesome and wants some company
skcc - southern kit car club, opposite the camping area.

Talon Motorsport - 6/4/12 at 03:31 PM

The thing that helps to kill shows is forums like this, a few people post comments like 'I went last year I did'nt think much of it I won't be going again' or they go on Saturday then post 'there was the usual faces and stands selling the same as what they advertise in the mags'. and then fewer people turn up on Sunday. Look at Stafford show I can remember going there as a kid and spending a good 4-5 hours there and it just started to thin out where people had started to read comments like the above and then even the suppliers did'nt bother going.

bi22le - 6/4/12 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
The thing that helps to kill shows is forums like this, a few people post comments like 'I went last year I did'nt think much of it I won't be going again' or they go on Saturday then post 'there was the usual faces and stands selling the same as what they advertise in the mags'. and then fewer people turn up on Sunday. Look at Stafford show I can remember going there as a kid and spending a good 4-5 hours there and it just started to thin out where people had started to read comments like the above and then even the suppliers did'nt bother going.

I agree fully with this but I see Detling, and other shows, for other reasons.

I go out in the summer every weekend in the car. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with the wife, sometimes with close friends, sometimes with SKCC. Meeting up with people at the show is just another excuse to drive the car, meet some fellow kit car people and look and some pretty impressive cars. Normally the promise of a cafe beakfast gets me out of bed at 6am! The trade stands are what turn a sunday drive into a show.

Detling has had a bad run with weather over the past years but guess what? We live in England and drive cars without roofs. What do you expect?!

Same stands, same people? What do you expect, its a small industry. If there was a huge increase of young petrol heads the old guys would moan about young hoolagans spoiling their party and digs would be thrown at differently designed cars.

Your in it for a reason. Support the industry and enjoy. We are all very lucky to have a 'fun' car that we can drive and enjoy. Lots of my friends are jealous.

greenwood03 - 6/4/12 at 04:17 PM

??????????????????????????????????

CRAIGR - 6/4/12 at 04:47 PM

Hoping to be there also Mark

Xtreme Kermit - 6/4/12 at 04:47 PM

I'll be there, in the tin top unfortunately but such is life.

Going to see if I can pick up some early season bargains!

GRRR - 7/4/12 at 03:25 PM

Just got back from Detling, weather very grim as always! Went in friend's GBS Zero which was a gamble as it has no wipers.. but felt much better off after seeing some brave/crazy people driving in flyscreen'd cars.

Couple of excellent club areas in particular SKCC with a nice spread of cars. Saw this with an ENORMOUS turbo that necessitated removing chassis rails! 500bhp.

Outside was the usual mix of cars - several red GTM Libras, Novas giving a welcoms dash of crazyness to the show with their canopies raised, some Ferrari Replicas, and a million 7s. Anyone else notice Carbon vinyl wrap being the finish of choice this year!

Inside there were GBS whos combined Kit Spares stand was heaving all day, MEV crammed into a small pitch but lots of cars quite nicely finished, a GKD Legend, Quantum Xtreme (complete with cute dog in passenger seat), Hawk and DNA Ferrari kits.

What stood out for me was the lack of anything different in the show and maybe in the industry. I know Detling is small, but itstill seems that Sevens and Cobras (and now I guess MEV) are the only people selling in any numbers. A bit sad really; maybe there's a gap for a new type of kit, or maybe a new concept will never will be economical?

One comment from a friends who was exhibiting, the scene needs non-kit people to visit, so perhaps increasing exhibitor costs to make admission free might encourage this. Most people who go either have a kit or are building and therefore might be catching up with people or picking up a few bits and pieces, not buying a new kit car.

Not great filming in the slightest but I like the noise. Dartford GP..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4QWeocsi_o

[Edited on 7/4/12 by GRRR]

Simon - 7/4/12 at 09:17 PM

I was there - went in my Espace but had arranged to meet Jason who bought toy car off me. He was on Southern KCC stand - nice and busy stand - excellent.

Only stayed at show for about an hour as had to chat to a certain manufacturer

ATB

Simon

Macbeast - 8/4/12 at 07:14 AM

I was there

Thanks to SKCC for space on their turf.

greenwood03 - 8/4/12 at 09:22 AM

Pleasure!

We had a good time, great to see many old faces from across our patch, bit of bbq scoff, music + banter...as usual didnt get a chance to catch up with everyone, so apologies for that.
Looks like we picked the better of the 2 days weather wise....

Michael - 8/4/12 at 04:08 PM

I was there, too but not for long. I was the one driving a BRG Locost with Yellow Center stripe at about half ten trying to work out where to Park.

I ended up with the Individuals next to a Ferrari and oposite ones for sale.

It was the first outing in the car, and nice to get waves from other's on the way to and from the show.

Broke down on the way home though.

adithorp - 8/4/12 at 05:37 PM

Well whatever others say I enjoyed it. A nice cruise down of 250 miles, starting off over Woodhead pass through the snow left over fron Wed; You know your tyres are cold when the water they're running through is coming out of a snow drift!Meeting up with mates, a quick blat on Fri night to the pub for something to eat after the drive down. Then a great 2 hour blat around the lanes with 1/2 a dozen others, breakfast at cafe and a convoy into the show. Show itself was a bit small but the welcome from the SKCC made up for that. Finally a nice cruise back finishing with a bit of a blat over the Pennines.

russbost - 9/4/12 at 07:02 AM

"What stood out for me was the lack of anything different in the show and maybe in the industry. I know Detling is small, but itstill seems that Sevens and Cobras (and now I guess MEV) are the only people selling in any numbers. A bit sad really; maybe there's a gap for a new type of kit, or maybe a new concept will never will be economical?"

You didn't come & see me on the Furore F1 stand then? You're perfectly welcome to love it or hate it but you surely can't deny it's different!!!

Really good to hear that all that went enjoyed it, disappointing that there weren't many manufacturers there, it's a small hall, but at least it was full, there were loads of clubs & cars outside so plenty of cars to get a look at. It's nice to see a thread actually complimenting a show instead of dissing it, if we're still going to have any shows left other than Stoneleigh in a couple of years then both manufacturers & traders need to get behind them.

GRRR - 9/4/12 at 09:52 PM

Ha Russ you're right yours is different, and was looking good at Detling too, but as unique as it is I don't think there'll be fields full of Furore's at Stoneleigh in the cominbg years (although how awesome a sight would that be!) as I suppose it doesn't appeal to the average builder for whatever reason, as much as a 7 or one of MEVs hamster cages (joke by the way ): )

Talon Motorsport - 10/4/12 at 06:31 AM

Given that Detling now has 2 halls why oh why did they not fill both of them? If a show is kept small then people expect a small show and people shy away. If traders and manufactures are charged a little less to be there but there are more of them then every body can afford to go. We used to do a lot of model railway shows as traders and included in the price of the stand was a lunch time meal and free tea and coffee through out the day. If this was offered it would be a gesture towards the manufactures from the promoters that they where wanted there rather than 'please come and pay for your advertising'.

russbost - 10/4/12 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
Given that Detling now has 2 halls why oh why did they not fill both of them? If a show is kept small then people expect a small show and people shy away. If traders and manufactures are charged a little less to be there but there are more of them then every body can afford to go. We used to do a lot of model railway shows as traders and included in the price of the stand was a lunch time meal and free tea and coffee through out the day. If this was offered it would be a gesture towards the manufactures from the promoters that they where wanted there rather than 'please come and pay for your advertising'.

There are actually 3 halls now, the 2 old halls that used to be used & the new one we were in this year. Speaking to some of the organisers there it would appear that to rent the other 2 halls & associated grounds is much more costly & TBH it was fairly obvious that they had struggled to fill the small hall as it was. I felt footfall was good for a small show particularly the Saturday & whilst it wasn't brilliant for me, I would describe it overall as a success.
I think the problem is that the show has been steadily decreasing over a few years & now, hopefully with the new organisers who also run Stoneleigh they may be able to build up from the base established & gradually increase the size of the show over the next few years.

I think the really important thing is for the clubs & all oners to get behind the shows & attend - even if a tintop because the weather is cr*p!

I also really do feel that moving the show to later in the year would benefit everybody

morcus - 10/4/12 at 06:26 PM

I was gonna go but I booked of the wrong weekend. I considered going between shifts on Sunday but I don't think I could have without hurting myself (36hour days are no fun.)