Board logo

Elvington Feb 9th
Andy D - 31/1/08 at 01:28 PM

Anyone fancy Elvington in February? It is bound to be cold, and maybe even wet... I'lll be watching the weather running up to it, and if it's not doo-able will be trying for the next one, Feb 23rd.
Both days are run by Javelin, open pitlane, 102db, £119.

Javelin's website

Had a few good winter days there last year...

Krismc - 31/1/08 at 02:34 PM

....the day my car gets SVA-ed hmm....shakedown

smart51 - 31/1/08 at 03:13 PM

I enjoyed elvington but I like my tyres too much to go there again. My tyres went from almost new to "I hope I don't get stopped on the way home" in 1 day. Add the cost of a new set of rubber and its not so cheap as it seems.

Jubal - 31/1/08 at 03:28 PM

There's at least a couple of us here doing Oulton on the 29th Feb Andy. Bit further to drive for you but you know how good it is... A bloke I know is taking his Pinto powered Avon, I'm sure he'd love to compare with your to see what you can do with it before he bins it for a bike engine

bob tatt - 31/1/08 at 04:56 PM

could well be gong my self if my new seats turn up in time u2u me if your off nearer the time

uklee70 - 31/1/08 at 06:26 PM

Hi
Elvington is very strict on that noise limit

so make sure you are ok

102db and remember 90db drive by at 40 metres.

Lee

Jubal - 31/1/08 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by uklee70
Hi
Elvington is very strict on that noise limit

so make sure you are ok

102db and remember 90db drive by at 40 metres.

Lee

That's a good point. It's nearly a year since I was there last but I recall they measured the car 2db higher than MSV did. With the even lower limit this year it's going to be tough to get on there with a bike engine.

Andy D - 31/1/08 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
There's at least a couple of us here doing Oulton on the 29th Feb Andy. Bit further to drive for you but you know how good it is... A bloke I know is taking his Pinto powered Avon, I'm sure he'd love to compare with your to see what you can do with it before he bins it for a bike engine

Think I'll leave Oulton till later in the year, there's an Easytrack one April 29th looking favorite at the moment...

And yes, Elvington can be hard on tyres, but not so bad if it's damp. (probably) I've an old set of slicks to kill off if it's dry.

Andy D - 5/2/08 at 03:41 PM

BBC says "predominant weather is forecast to be sunny" on Saturday..

Krismc - 5/2/08 at 07:32 PM

ill be there in the new Civic type R (not the MNR)

should still have some fun though! (at least ill be warm)

Andy D - 5/2/08 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

I'm not worried about the cold, you dont feel it when your whole body is numb you know... Will probably book tomorrow if the forecast is still looking favourable.

Jubal - 5/2/08 at 09:38 PM

Get some vids Andy, I'm keen to see the results of the winter refresh

Andy D - 6/2/08 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
Get some vids Andy, I'm keen to see the results of the winter refresh

Will do, just booked, and the weather's still looking good...

Krismc - 6/2/08 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

I'm not worried about the cold, you dont feel it when your whole body is numb you know... Will probably book tomorrow if the forecast is still looking favourable.

Im booked, just need to find somewhere that stock pads for civic only got 780miles on clock and i need new ones!!

PAUL FISHER - 6/2/08 at 11:14 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

Im booked, just need to find somewhere that stock pads for civic only got 780miles on clock and i need new ones!!

Make sure you tape up the front of your car to stop it getting stone chipped,I was there a while back,and a guy with a new black EVO,was most upset when the front of his car looked like it had been sand blasted tyre wear is also a major problem,the concrete is very abrasive

Andy D - 7/2/08 at 04:31 PM

Weather still looking good, ..and only 22 cars entered. Shouldn't have to queue very long to get out!

Andy D - 8/2/08 at 05:11 PM

One last shout, plenty of spaces, and weather's still looking good..

Andy D - 9/2/08 at 10:32 PM

Well, it was a beautiful day, spring was in the air!

The car behaved itself, right up untill the end of the last session. I thought I'd killed it! It spluttered rounding the 180 loop, and I presumed it was out of fuel, so cruised into the paddock. (It was out of fuel) Ominous rattle coming from the engine dept! Engine stalled, and would barely turn over when I attempted to restart it, more Pushed it on the trailer and headed home.. .
On further investigation, the alternator appeared to be jammed. All it is, is one of the long bolts that hold the unit together has come undone and jammed in the alt cooling fan. PHEW!! Should be sorted with a nut, some locktight, and a new fan belt, I reckon.

Son Pete will probably get some youtubeage up in the next few days.

Couple o' pics

Andy D - 10/2/08 at 03:19 PM

...and a couple of videos from the day HERE and HERE

VX driver was very good, Pete had a passenger ride with him, and was well impressed..

Jubal - 10/2/08 at 08:36 PM

I am so jealous. A sunny track day in Feb and the car looked to be going very well. What sort of VX was it? Must've been a turbo. Shame about the breakdown but at least it's an easy fix!

Andy D - 10/2/08 at 10:04 PM

Yes, twas a turbo. I was quite chuffed I could stay with him down the straight. My old slicks on the rear had definitely seen better days. We did the first session on 888s, and the back end was much more planted, but the slicks make more "economical" sense!

TimC - 10/2/08 at 10:20 PM

Very jealous - looked like a great day!

smac - 11/2/08 at 06:06 PM

Was a great day (thats me in the tatty looking orange locost). Hardly any cars all day, fabulous weather and my car almost lasted the whole day (discounting blowing out oil & the exhaust falling apart)before the alternator bracket broke and stopped play. Your Westy was very quick and has made me optimistic about the future of the pinto in mine.

Simon

welderman - 11/2/08 at 07:11 PM

my mates boss was the passenger in the vx, i think he might be interested in a 7 type car after that performance.
Well done and im jealous too.

Andy D - 11/2/08 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smac
Was a great day (thats me in the tatty looking orange locost). Hardly any cars all day, fabulous weather and my car almost lasted the whole day (discounting blowing out oil & the exhaust falling apart)before the alternator bracket broke and stopped play. Your Westy was very quick and has made me optimistic about the future of the pinto in mine.

Simon

Ah, music to my ears! Stick with the Pinto, dont believe all the boat anchor nonsense..

Welderman, There were two identical VXR's there, (One fast, and one not quite so fast!..) we swapped passengers for a session. Was it your mate's boss I took out? Whoever it was he was trying to hang on to the scuttle and was getting his knuckles peppered with gravel, ouch!

Few more pic s from the day..

And, spot the odd one out...

He was obviously enjoying himself, I saw the car parked up with a nice fire going on in the braking dept!

welderman - 11/2/08 at 09:53 PM

going round to there works tomorrow to take him out in the bec, will look at his hands, .

Andy D - 13/2/08 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by welderman
going round to there works tomorrow to take him out in the bec, will look at his hands, .

So, which one was he in?