Board logo

gurston down hill climb
bob - 17/4/08 at 05:31 PM

Anyone here going ?

I saw the signs for the hill climb as i was passing through Salisbury on my way back from Dorset. I wondered how good/big the event was going to be.

Its on this weekend 19/20th

minitici - 17/4/08 at 07:11 PM

No - but I will be going to the Doune Hillclimb on Sat/Sunday
up here in sunny Scotland.

sprouts-car - 17/4/08 at 09:07 PM

What exactly is a "down hill climb"?

Miks15 - 17/4/08 at 10:51 PM

i think the place is called gurston down... well i think so anyway would make sense that way!

SixedUp - 18/4/08 at 12:50 AM

http://www.gurstondown.org/intro.htm

Supposed to be good. I keep meaning to get over there to spectate, but commitment overload keeps getting in the way

wheezy - 18/4/08 at 06:52 AM

They also run a hill climb training day once a month with lunch thrown in with several runs up the hill during the day. I may give it a go myself sometime, looks like fun.

itiejim - 18/4/08 at 07:12 AM

Gurston Down is on the Downs!

It also starts with a downhill section I believe. It's certainly a mainstay in the hillclimbing calendar and well worth a look.

Nick Skidmore - 18/4/08 at 08:34 AM

The down hill bit is quite awe inspiring due to it's length and steepness.

What adds to this is the ess bend at the bottom of that section which in a lot of cars is taken flat chat without a lift after accelerating balls out down the hill.

More heart in the mouth than taking Crossing at Shelsley 'flat'

ned - 18/4/08 at 10:19 AM

I was just wondering about this Bob as the woman said she wanted a day out, but the weather is meant to be a bit poop isn't it?!

bob - 18/4/08 at 08:28 PM

The weather does look a bit iffy, i think i will make sunday a garage day and concentrate on getting old joan back together, i'm running out of time pre stoneleigh