Board logo

RAF Valley Trackday Sunday 31st August
Jubal - 19/6/08 at 01:56 PM

As MOz is no longer a regular I thought I'd post about this here. For those that don't know, once a year RAF Valley closes down to planes and holds a bike trackday and car trackday on consecutive days. This year it's 30th August for bikes and 31st August for cars. The price is just £50 per vehicle and all the money goes to charity. This year it's for Help for Heroes. http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I went last year and it was an excellent day. There's a feeling of over-protectiveness from the team organising but that is understandable given they don't normally do this sort of thing.

The track layout was absolutely superb. It was a mixture of high speed corners you'd expect from an airfield layout with some slower bits that really worked. Over 3 miles long, it was fantastic.

They had basic facilities (food/drink) on-site and lots of room for trailers and stuff. All in all a good day out and for charity too.

Call Beth Adams on 01407 762241 Ext 7488 to book. It's a work number so might not always get answered but keep trying. Civilians need to book and pay in advance for security reasons.

worX - 19/6/08 at 04:04 PM

When you said on the phone earlier that the dates might clash with something else I've got planned - you weren't kidding!

I'll be doing about 500mph that day!

Steve

Jubal - 19/6/08 at 04:14 PM

I think I'd rather have a holiday than a trackday on a windy airfield

However, to anyone not going away who is even remotely interested in driving their car at the limit in a safe environment then this is the one. For the money it definitely can't be beaten. No noise tests, loads of space and the cash goes to charity.

Dangle_kt - 19/6/08 at 04:14 PM

31st Aug....what do you reckon steve? Doable?

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Dangle_kt]

bob tatt - 19/6/08 at 07:52 PM

where abouts is it not heard of it before

Jubal - 19/6/08 at 08:18 PM

RAF Valley, Anglesey. Well worth the trip.

Jubal - 20/6/08 at 04:18 PM

Places filling fast so they tell me. Don't be put off by the clunky booking process. Leave them a message and they will get back to you.

TimC - 20/6/08 at 06:58 PM

Call placed - Woop!

Jubal - 21/6/08 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Call placed - Woop!

Woop indeed Ideal day for your car, get in the advanced group. Less road cars.

TimC - 21/6/08 at 07:30 PM

YouTube Video from 2004

Jubal - 21/6/08 at 08:23 PM

Good find. They didn't allow filming last year. I was gutted, first time out for a new camera setup.

adithorp - 22/6/08 at 04:49 PM

I phoned up on Sat morning but they haven't got back to me yet.

adrian

Jubal - 22/6/08 at 06:48 PM

It's a bit hit and miss. They are probably off for the weekend. If you haven't heard by Tues then ring 'em back.

adithorp - 23/6/08 at 12:15 PM

Booked in now. I've told them to put me in the intermediate group but I'll seek opinions after Anglesey!

adrian

Jubal - 23/6/08 at 01:47 PM

It doesn't matter so much at this event. Plenty of track space.

Gezza - 8/8/08 at 01:42 PM

Ive booked it, still places available but im told there are quite alot already on. should be a good day out, must get car tuning to stay ahead of you derek

TimC - 8/8/08 at 04:47 PM

Never mind the race to be fastest - it's going to be bloomin' close getting mine ready!!

(Forecast is 16 degrees and light rain on Metcheck.)

adithorp - 10/8/08 at 04:49 PM

Does anybody fancy doing the BAT track day at Anglesey on the Fri' and stopping over to make a weekend of it?

Track Fri and Sun with a day out in Snowdonia on the Sat'?

adrian

TimC - 13/8/08 at 12:35 PM

Gents

I'm going to have to give this a miss. I'm perfectly happy for the charity to keep my cash (best mate just back from Afghan - his mate got shot in the seat next to him, Coma for 10 weeks etc etc) BUT, if anyone would be prepared to make an additional contribution of say £20 I'll see what I can do to get my place signed over.

So in summary, if you want a £20 trackday, drop me a U2U and I'll see what I can do.

TC

SORTED Space gone.

[Edited on 13/8/08 by TimC]

adithorp - 13/8/08 at 04:06 PM

I've decided to go for it and have booked the BAT day on the Friday. Still a few places if anybody else fancies making a weekend of it.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a camp site for Fri+Sat nights?

adrian

Gezza - 14/8/08 at 05:35 AM

Hi Adrian, staff and i are coming down sat pm and i think we are going to stay in a b&b if we can find one with secure parking, cant make friday as some of us have to work, ha ha .

gerry

adithorp - 18/8/08 at 10:15 PM

I'm camping here Friday and Sat'.

http://www.bodfanfarm.co.uk/

adrian

adithorp - 28/8/08 at 11:44 AM

See you all there.

adrian

TimC - 1/9/08 at 02:04 PM

Well?

adithorp - 1/9/08 at 03:22 PM

Well...it was a bit wet. So wet that after the first session I know what its like when you see an F1 race in the rain; Zero grip and ZERO visability. A lot of us skipped the second session as it was worse and those that went out soon came back in. Session 3, couldn't use any revs and halfway through I spotted a bit of in-field that hadn't had the grass cut so set about rectifying that! The afternoon was dry though and a lot better.

Fridays BAT day at Anglesey was good as well (apart from killing a cone). Saturday run out through north Wales was nice; 150 mile cruise on great roads.

adrian

Jubal - 1/9/08 at 04:10 PM

I echo Adrian's comments. I've never seen anything like it on the road, the spray when following my mate's Sprint R was horrific. He literally disappeared into the mist at 50 metres, not so good when following at 90mph Also, I will never forget in the first morning session leaving the high grip runway surface onto an access road and realising I had zero grip and was heading for the grass and a potential Richard Hammond type incident. Still don't know how I made the corner...

But the afternoon sessions more than made up for the morning's slip sliding. The last two sessions on the absolute limit were a blast. I really like airfield circuits for the high speed cornering.

Hopefully will be able to post a link to some vids. They were very relaxed this year and my pal had a camera in his car.

Big thanks to Gezza for helping with my gear linkage. Top man.

adithorp - 1/9/08 at 05:46 PM

It wasn't so much the "disappearing" that worried me, more the rear of your car reappearing at 90mph! Looking back I'm glad I did it but wouldn't choose to do it again (the conditions, not the day). That taxi-way in the wet was a bit of a magical mystery tour.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/RAFValleytrackday31-8-08015.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/RAFValleytrackday31-8-08011.jpg

adrian

Jubal - 1/9/08 at 10:43 PM

Andy D - 2/9/08 at 07:41 PM

Crackin' pic!

Gezza - 3/9/08 at 05:08 AM

Heres a few from me,
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img]http://[/img]

Gezza - 3/9/08 at 05:14 AM

And another slightly bigger, not very good at this..

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]