Board logo

Editing / deleting posts?
thesecondprize - 5/11/12 at 09:44 PM

Hello,

Sorry about this - I feel dumb, but can anyone tell me how to edit / delete a post?

I've tried checking the FAQ's section, but the answer to those questions doesn't seem to exist! I'm sure I'm doing something daft, but I just can't seem to find the option on or near my posts. E.g:

Any ideas?

JoelP - 5/11/12 at 09:58 PM

Should be an edit button beside the report button, and if you click this there is a box to delete the message altogether.

matt_claydon - 5/11/12 at 10:04 PM

You can only edit a given post for a limited time after posting. To learn why, look up 'calvinx'.

Confused but excited. - 5/11/12 at 10:11 PM

thesecondprize - 5/11/12 at 10:31 PM

OK, thanks - there's my problem: Trying to edit an old post.

Can they be removed / edited by U2Uing a moderator for example?

JoelP - 6/11/12 at 07:48 AM

they would if there was a good reason. Old posts cant usually be deleted because it makes old threads not make sense to someone searching for stuff.

ChrisW - 6/11/12 at 09:54 AM

All correct, thanks to those that replied.

A while ago we had a spate of people causing arguments on the site which then became a spate of people deleting all their posts and vowing not to come back. Much as it's annoying to lose a member it's even more annoying when suddenly a whole load of threads don't make sense because bits are missing. My solution was to only allow a delete (or edit) for a certain time after posting. I think it's 72 hours, but I'd have to check the code to be sure.

I can delete things if necessary, as can Fozzie, but there would have to be a good reason for doing it.

Chris