Board logo

info MK Indy R
thunder - 20/1/13 at 05:48 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the forum I write from Italy and sorry for my English.

I bought a few months ago a MK Indy R Tuneq, joined this forum (which I greet and thank). After checking the car I find the right rear wheel with a difference of 6mm convergence than the left (rear left +1.6 mm - rear right + 7.9 mm). There is a kit "toe out / in"?
I tried to contact the MK Sportcars but do not respond to emails.

I have the rear oversteer as a movie that I enclose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TQzBQ5EgY
(sorry for the guide, I'm a beginner)

To improve the situation have hardened front suspension and lowered the rear, I have to try the car, In Italy it's snowing.

Regarding the brakes have little sensitivity and I find it hard to dose braking. I have good discs and calipers but I have a normal pump Ford, recommended to put a double pump? which model?

Thanks for the answers
Luca

theduck - 20/1/13 at 05:57 PM

You need to make your avatar smaller! Can't help with MK problem though.

designer - 20/1/13 at 06:21 PM

quote:

I tried to contact the MK Sportcars but do not respond to emails.

What a surprise!

INDY BIRD - 20/1/13 at 06:43 PM

Changing the brakes to a bias set up will not solve the peddle feel so much is it a floor mount peddle set up? If so its more the peddle ratio that's causing the problem, they will work just need to stamp on the peddle hard, as they are not like production cars with a servo to assist etc,

Hope this makes sense,?

Davegtst - 20/1/13 at 06:50 PM

You may need to shim the rear hubs to get it nearer what it should be. I have seen adjustable rear lower wishbones that should allow you to get it right but you are probably better off getting these made yourself. If you measure the chasis you will find the tolarance is shoddy to be polite. Don't bother trying to contact them, the further away from them you are the more likely you will be shafted.

yellowcab - 20/1/13 at 09:38 PM

I have exactly the same problem in my MK Indy (not R)... and have come to the conclusion that it's the rear geometry, the rear wheels are towing out.

As the post above say, you'll need some adjustable lower rear arms, so you can get them parallel

Watch any of my MK videos on track, on YouTube (username is trackdaynova), and you'll find that we're having the same problem...

INDY BIRD - 20/1/13 at 10:24 PM

Also what sort of tyres pressures are you running on this car and type of tyre as by the video yes you have alot of oversteer, and not very predictable b.y the looks of it, very little rear grip?

I have had both mk Indy the first outboard suspension and the later R and both of them did not handle anything like that, if anything they had under steer,

yellowcab - 20/1/13 at 10:38 PM

Indy Bird, I'm certainly glad to hear they can handle a lot better than we're currently experiencing.

On the last trackday (when my engine blew) I was experimenting with tyre pressures, ride heights and spring poundages, none of which made an inch of difference

RK - 20/1/13 at 11:59 PM

Buona Sera Luca!

Braking is done with LOTS of pedal pressure in these things. I have put competition pads on the front (standard, first generation MX5 brakes) which made a huge difference.

I set my rear toe to "Zero" degrees, and don't get unexpected oversteer. I did this with string.

thunder - 21/1/13 at 08:05 AM

thanks to all for your answers fast. I am sorry to know that the MK does not follow customers.

I try to answer the questions:
- tire pressure is 1.2bar front and 1.4bar rear, with pilot 75kg there is more weight on the rear axle.
- where can I buy rear arms adjustable? there is a bracket kit with eccentric?
- I try to look for the brake pads best performing

[Edited on 21/1/13 by thunder]

INDY BIRD - 21/1/13 at 06:48 PM

Yes they can handle look at this vid couple of Indy,s going at it and not hanging about,

Lots of reasons what you may be having issues but I hope you get it sorted, have you got it set up hard ie damper clicks etc

Link to Indy, and one is a supercharged gsxr

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-rNfrtbsKaY

But must say your car did look a handle full was the track a bit damp also by looks of it, that won't help with all that power but you seem to get lift of over steer in places so is the rake of the car set up too much front end grip ?

I can't answer geomatary of the car but yep get that resolved first then go from there,

Good luck

danny keenan - 21/1/13 at 07:07 PM

Here's the correct email address
mail@mksportscars.com

We answer our emails every day or hers my personal one dannyk19785@gmail.com
I can send you pics of our race wishbones which are fully adjustable.

Brake pads I use minted 1144 on my race car we have plenty in stock

Thanks

thunder - 22/1/13 at 07:52 AM

Hello Danny,

I sent an email to ask the required information. Thanks

Luca

roadrunner - 22/1/13 at 10:14 AM

Have you had the car corner weighted , can make a huge difference in handling.

Brad.

phelpsa - 22/1/13 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Brad.

Only if they're massively out in the first place though. Dampers, spring rates, tyre pressures and geometry all have a much much greater effect, corner weighting is really the very last thing on the list of tick boxes.

Having watched the video, that certainly looks like it's induced by toe out. The rear seems to 'travel' under weight transfer before losing grip which points to a problem with toe.

[Edited on 22-1-13 by phelpsa]

gaz_gaz - 22/1/13 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Brad.

Only if they're massively out in the first place though. Dampers, spring rates, tyre pressures and geometry all have a much much greater effect, corner weighting is really the very last thing on the list of tick boxes.

Having watched the video, that certainly looks like it's induced by toe out. The rear seems to 'travel' under weight transfer before losing grip which points to a problem with toe.

[Edited on 22-1-13 by phelpsa]

+1

Can't disagree with any of this statement

procomp - 22/1/13 at 04:10 PM

Hi

The handling of the car in the video looks like another classic case of the dampers being fitted upside down and now contain air. IE there is no damping or adjustment from the dampers.
Check that first then map out the ( Lack of ) camber control at your desired ride height and reset the camber settings static to give 1 Deg - when in roll.

Cheers Matt

yellowcab - 22/1/13 at 04:18 PM

Here is my poor handling, I was trying to be as smooth as possible, but always fighting unpredictable, unwanted oversteer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMrADeXxqM

thunder - 27/1/13 at 10:49 PM

Thanks to all for the advice, I try to adjust the suspension to correct oversteer back.

P.S.: MK responded to the mail

yellowcab - 30/1/13 at 10:39 PM

here you go Thunder, I finally got around to uploading another video of my oversteer, similar to yours when turning in to a chicane

enjoy, and cringe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVlh1Hb6Nw&feature=youtu.be

thunder - 1/2/13 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
here you go Thunder, I finally got around to uploading another video of my oversteer, similar to yours when turning in to a chicane

enjoy, and cringe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVlh1Hb6Nw&feature=youtu.be

this is the kit proposed by MK .... But I do not trust the uniball.
I contacted a friend who produces tubular chassis racing and then let you know ...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8294/photobg.jpg