Board logo

What to do with those 4"
Macca - 24/9/02 at 07:16 PM

If I build a book chassis but with an irs what do I do about the difference in track.

Do I shorten the drive shafts to match book front.

If I don't shorten the drive shafts do I lengthen the wish bones.

If I dont lengthen the wish bones to I move the wish bone mounts.

Or do I stick an axle on it as its just as good/easier.

Cheers Col.

Simon - 24/9/02 at 07:28 PM

Col

Luego have IRS on their "book chassis". They shorten the driveshafts from what I can recall. I have been very impressed with what I've had from them, and with their service. Could be worth a call - what save a lot of hassle measuring etc, as they've already done it!!!

I, having just built my "book + 4 inches wider" chassis using Sierra diff / shafts / homemade wishbones, will be buying a chassis next time.

So far (and there's a long way to go) it's been fun, but next time (if) I'd take the assembly job, rather than complete construction

ATB

Simon

Marcus - 24/9/02 at 07:42 PM

Keep the drive shafts the same length and buy wide wings from MK etc. The difference in track makes next to no difference to the handling.

Marcus

Roeland Uitslager - 25/9/02 at 10:07 AM

Col,

In the book "How to build your own Tiger Avon..." they use the original driveshafts. A wider track doesn't affect the handling.
If you want to shorten the shafts it's not an easy task.

Roeland

Mark Allanson - 25/9/02 at 09:28 PM

I am relieved that the wider track at the rear will not affect the handling, but a thought came to me about how this will affect the lighting regulations, will I have to have the headlamps over the top of the front wheels to satisfy the SVA man? Best read my SVA manual!, but it is a bit heavy going.
Mark

Macca - 25/9/02 at 10:35 PM

May be I didn't explain very well, if I go for the wider track where does the extra width come from?

1 Longer wishbones

2 different mounting points

Col.

stephen_gusterson - 25/9/02 at 10:50 PM

longer wishbones.

seriously consider the time and hassle of doing irs.

i would use a live axle if i was starting again, save lotsa time.

atb

steve