Board logo

Best place to buy the steel?
Hallsy - 18/10/02 at 03:35 PM

Hi guys,

i am new to this forum and i wouldn't mind guessing that this question has been asked many times before, BUT,

where is the best place to buy the steel for the chassis from?
I am in the South East area, but would travel.

Cheffy - 18/10/02 at 03:49 PM

Hi Hallsy,

Welcome aboard.

Initially, to get me started, I bought:
8x6.1 metre lengths of 25x25x1.6mm RHS,
2x6.1 metre lengths of 19x1.5mm round tube,
1x2.5x1.25metre 16 gauge sheet, and
1x4metrex100mmx3mm steel plate.

Total cost £74.65 inc VAT.

From what I've read on the sight I think that's probably pretty good.

Company called Witney Steel Stock Company in Witney, Oxfordshire.
Tel:01993 779966.

Good luck,

Cheers, Cheffy.

Hallsy - 18/10/02 at 03:56 PM

Sounds good, do you know if they are likely to deliver??

Also, on a more general note how have people gone about cutting the steel, do people use a traditional hacksaw, or cut it on a bandsaw?

Cheffy - 18/10/02 at 05:00 PM

They delivered to me free of charge, but I only live about 8/9 miles away, I'm not sure how far they go. They're very helpful and friendly though. Give 'em a call.

With regard to cutting, I've done all mine by hand with a hacksaw. With a bit of practice you can get really accurate so you barely need a file to dress the tube end.

Cheers, Cheffy

Jasper - 18/10/02 at 05:04 PM

Hi

You wanna get your steel from a local stockholder in your nearest town. Where do you live? I just looked up 'Stockholders' in the Yellow pages, found my local one in Brighton, and bought a load.

To start I just got 1'' and 3/4'' RHS in 5m lenghts, and a load of 3/4'' tube and got them to deliver (free). nWorked out how much from the book.

Later I bought a whole sheet of 16gauge for the floor/footwells. I got them to cut it roughly to fit the floor to make my life easy.

Then bought a piece of plate about 2 foot square and about 2mm thick for making strengthening angle pieces.

Also bought a selection of 3mm and 5mm bar in various widths from 15mm to 40mm all about 3 foot long.

Buy if from a company that doesn't mind supplying short lenghts.

Hallsy - 18/10/02 at 05:17 PM

I live in Sudbury. Thanks for the advice, i will try some local ones anmd see what the best price is. I would use the people we use at work but i don't think they deal in short lengths or small volumes.

ludsonline - 19/10/02 at 06:38 PM

Hello Hallsy,
Suffolk Steel up by the old A&B Glass factory charge £10.43 for a 6Mtr length of !"x1"x16 G Box section. I phoned them last week if you find any where cheaper let me know.

Hallsy - 19/10/02 at 06:42 PM

Yeah i was going to try them, i have used them a couple of time previously on behalf of work because it is handy for small amounts.
Do you live in Sudbury? I haven't started quite yet but it would be good to see another being made.

ludsonline - 19/10/02 at 06:45 PM

Hi Hallsy,
I have not started yet still don't know if to buy or build my chassis or to go live axle or IRS. Yes I do live in Sudbury do you get a discount from your work?

Hallsy - 20/10/02 at 11:26 AM

I may get discount, but i don't think i'd be able to buyit through work anyway, i'd just get myself as and when i need it.