Board logo

chassis bend
mooselogic - 24/10/02 at 05:56 AM

Starting to build my chassis this weekend (Mcsorley 7+4) and was wondering, once the bottom rails all made up and spot welded to hold it together, is it going to bend or have any effect on the welds if i stand it up against the wall in the garage to make more room to carry on with the top rail etc? and because the ladywife still wants to park her car in the garage because the local "oooiks" have been breaking into cars in the area. ( got to keep her happy or i'll never get anything done.

JohnFol - 24/10/02 at 07:09 AM

Tack welding is good enough to hold the whole chassis whilst moving it around. If you have done just the bottom layer you will have 40 odd inch square with no real rigidity as it will twist.. .
If it were me, I'd either lift it carefully, or perhaps clamp it to a piece of wood before moving.
Alternatively, weld a local oik diagonally to add stiffness

welshy - 24/10/02 at 08:57 AM

Just a thought.

Depending wether the height of your garage roof and the height of your car will permit it i would drill a hole in each corner of your flat surface and tie a length of suitable rope to each corner. I would then use the rafters as a pully system and oink it towards the rafters. Then secure each piece of rope.
Mind your head as you get out of the car though.

mooselogic - 24/10/02 at 12:28 PM

Good idea about the oooik... but i think his screams of pain as i attemt to get good penatration with the welds (ouch) may attract the attention of the local bacon...
Dam fine idea about hoisting the board up with the rail attached, i,m off out to the garage to get sorted and give that a go........
cheers

theconrodkid - 24/10/02 at 06:41 PM

if you wrap their mouths firmly with gaffer tape they dont tend to make much noise,on the downside they smell a bit after a week or so and then start dripping on your nice clean floor.

johnston - 24/10/02 at 07:45 PM

remember that cordless drill you bought to help with the build............

...use it belfast style

its kinda hard to run away from the local constabulary when ur in a wheelchair