Board logo

GKD Legend / DMO Legend. - BMW oil sump clearance/ride height
Andrzejsr - 27/8/24 at 11:43 PM

Hi ! I am preparing to this winter build - GKD legend kitcar (project bought from one od the Users of this forum )
As for kitcars there will be for sure many problems to solve but what i am concerned first is the oil sump of BMW engine sticking down .
From first look it seems to be 8-10 cm from ground. In the middle of the car.
I am affraid to " touch" it on sleeping policeman etc.
I wonder if there on Forum are others GKD/DMO sportscars Users ? What are Your experience with that oil sump ride height ? Am I worried too much? Is it ok for road driving ?.
Dry sump kit for bmw is quite not low cost...
Maybe cut the sump lets say 2cm? Not sure then about oil pressures on cornering (want to do some trackdays with that car also)

MikeR - 28/8/24 at 02:10 PM

General rule is 75mm (coke can rolling under) is the minimum. You sound like you're above that so you should be generally ok.

adithorp - 28/8/24 at 06:14 PM

Think I've got 75 or 80mm under my sump (guard). It's only an issue on old style, narrow and high sleeping policemen when the suspension bounce coming off then can (occationally) cause it to touch. Anything else is OK. If in doubt, crossing at an angle helps.

If you shorten the sump you also reduce volume so adding wings helps.

Andrzejsr - 28/8/24 at 06:29 PM

Thanks!

(some troubles with posting on forum..)

Hm 75 for road car really is ok ? I have recntly set mine track car to 7cm front and was worried if it is sufficient.
Mine road Westfield with Zetec and raceline sump has 12cm below the sum and that give me a lot of confidence on road use. And worth to metion - raceline sump is a bit forward than lowest point of BMW oil sump.
Well , I think I will put togheter all as it with original BMW sump, and check on roads, If I hit something it will be cheaper than drysump I suppouse.

[Edited on 28/8/24 by Andrzejsr]

Mr Whippy - 28/8/24 at 11:26 PM

Fit a sump guard, the roads are too rubbish to take a chance. I actually welded a 6mm plate to the bottom of my pintos sump for the Falcon and even then it was quite scraped.

coyoteboy - 29/8/24 at 01:13 PM

Worth noting that by regulation the pillow-type speed bumps (ones that go between your axles) are nominally 75mm and normal ones are nominally 100. Given track width and wheelbase, you might come acropper with less than 125 unladen.

[Edited on 29/8/2024 by coyoteboy]

Andrzejsr - 29/8/24 at 08:40 PM

A sump guard adds additional cm so if not "must have" i would like to avoid that but of course sth to consider of course.

As for height of sleeping policeman rules arę rules but not sure about regulations here on Poland, from observation that seems to be highier sometimes .

I think i will try to build the car as it is and then see. Maybe shortering sump with additional się volume for oil "wings " thanks for idea!

That is what worried me:

https://cdn.prezentmarzen.com/img/pmcategorygallery/351/large_default-743-jazda-za-kierownica-gkd-legend-cadd.jpg

Look at underside and sticking oil sump.. whole car is so much high to give that sump some space.

pewe - 30/8/24 at 03:37 PM

Bear in mind your ride height needs to allow for the weight of the driver, passenger, battery, full fuel tank & other fluids etc. etc.
If contemplating track days you should take into account oil surge i.e. the contents of the sump creeping up the engine side walls and starving the oil pick up.
I made a windage tray to reduce this risk.
You may also need to consider cruciform baffling in the bottom of the sump plus trap door valves to stop front to back surging under acceleration and braking.
Google is your friend for "How to".

Andrzejsr - 31/8/24 at 10:52 PM

Yes I am aware of all that You said.
Just wonder if maybe there on that forum are others with this car (GKD/dmo) and can tell if it is really some issue with that sticking down sump ot maybe I am not necessarly anticipating issues.