Board logo

Chassis Measurements
Soichi_Sugano - 8/8/05 at 04:36 PM

Hello,
I'm a new member to Locostbuilder but, i've been wanting to start building a locost for about a year and a half now. I have a close provier for steel, a father who is a very good mechanic, and a garage more than well equiped for the build. What i've been wondering is what is the amount of tubing needed, and in what sizes for the locost chassis. If it depends on what type of donor, could i get some recommendations for good and cheap donors in the states. Also i live in pennsylvania so i'm surrounded by junkyards. Thanks i would really appreciate some help thanks.

Gav - 8/8/05 at 05:07 PM

Hi,

Ive only recently started my build too.
You want to take a look at Jim Mcsorleys site
http://mcsorley.net/locost/
their is a spread sheet somewhere with what you will need.

IIRC i bought 40 meters of 1inch tube 12 meters 19mm tube and 12 meters of 19mm round tube. all came in 6meter lengths
i over bought to allow for mistakes
also the smallest sheet of 3mm plate is 2mx1m so got a sheet of that.
later ill buy some 18 gauge sheet for floor etc

[Edited on 8/8/05 by Gav]

VinceGledhill - 9/8/05 at 10:05 AM

Get the plans from McSorley too because the angles of the cuts are all in there too.

I got 2mm Aluminium for my floor and pop rivited it on.

James - 9/8/05 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Soichi_Sugano
Hello,
I'm a new member to Locostbuilder but, i've been wanting to start building a locost for about a year and a half now. I have a close provier for steel, a father who is a very good mechanic, and a garage more than well equiped for the build. What i've been wondering is what is the amount of tubing needed, and in what sizes for the locost chassis. If it depends on what type of donor, could i get some recommendations for good and cheap donors in the states. Also i live in pennsylvania so i'm surrounded by junkyards. Thanks i would really appreciate some help thanks.

You have all that kit and people to help, and you waited that long???
That shows patience!

Just add together all the lengths in the book and add about 10-20% for cockups and bits you forgot.

All the best,
James

Soul-tez - 11/8/05 at 02:37 AM

Hey
What part of Pa are you in? I can bend roll bar tubing in 1 3/4" or 1 1/2" if you need help with that. I to am taking a very slow approach to building. We'll get it done in the long run so don,t sweat it.

Mike