Board logo

Mig welders
Falkolocost - 22/9/05 at 08:30 PM

Im going to purchase the welder im going to be using for my build and have a few questons.
Can i buy a gasless mig welder?
Which welders can i plug directly into the wall?
Should i buy used or new?
What other equipment will i have to buy? wire, spools, mask ect.

whats the total cost im looking at to get started?

All replys will be greatly appreciated.
Dave f.

Alan B - 24/9/05 at 03:07 PM

I'm amazed nobody has jumped in yet....

My opinions on this...

Yes, you can do it with gasless, but I'd definitely pay that little extra and go for proper MIG.

I recall you are in Canada?....if so the electrical system is probably similar to here. If so I'd go for a 220v machine that plugs into a dryer outlet rather than a 115v machine, although will still do the job.

You'll need, wire, gas, and I'd recommend a self darkening mask...total cost around $600 US to get started.

HTH and all IMO,

Alan

quattromike - 24/9/05 at 04:15 PM

actually I've got one of those 240v lincoln machines that has a role of innersheild wire on it and it does a pritty good job, makes more fumes than normal mig but it does a good strong weld.
it will be mild steel(carbon steel) your building your car with isn't it? just checkin
Mike

Falkolocost - 25/9/05 at 04:53 AM

This is something i cant find in the book. Is mild steel what most people use? what would you recomend

JoelP - 25/9/05 at 07:09 AM

yup, most of us use regular seamed ERW tube, 25x25x1.6mm is the commonest metric sizing i think.

MikeRJ - 25/9/05 at 02:09 PM

Gassless welders are usefull if you ever have to weld outside in a breeze as the shielding gas dosen't get blown away. However, it's extremely expensive to run if you are going to build a whole chassis. Get either a gas only welder or a dual purpose gas/gasless one IMO.