Board logo

Sick of Hammerite!
Gav - 10/10/05 at 10:11 PM

Spent to night finishing the second coat of hammerite on my chassis, god damn am i sick of painting all them tubes!

Winston Todge - 10/10/05 at 10:20 PM

Did you manage to get the second coat on within around 8 to 16 hours?

Not to be a party pooper, but I've had limited success when leaving more than 12 hours inbetween coats...

Mark has some very interesting things to say in this thread...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=23222

Well done though! Can't be a huge amount of fun painting all those tubes!

Chris.

Gav - 10/10/05 at 10:29 PM

I actually did the first coat of the front end the previous night then this morning i did the second coat and first coat of the rest, then finished of the second coat when i got back from work.

As i said sick of hammeriting!

Danozeman - 11/10/05 at 07:48 AM

When i painted mine i got soo bored to. The worst thing is its chipped and a bit scratched so it needs doing again!!

Syd Bridge - 11/10/05 at 08:12 AM

Chassis black from my local autopaint supplier is £25/5litres, and sprayable. Whole chassis in 15 mins, with a bit of covering for 10 feet around!!

Mark Allanson - 12/10/05 at 04:02 PM

Chassis black is the ideal paint for chassis's

Funny that!!

davey - 13/10/05 at 03:53 PM

i just got mind powder coated at work

Peteff - 13/10/05 at 06:18 PM

What colours do they do that in then?

caber - 13/10/05 at 07:05 PM

Chassis Black is thick sticky and ikky to apply and then get off yourself and everything else! I think it is great for the underside of Land Rovers but it must add considerably more weight than properly applied hammerite or powder coat! I don't know what is in it but even after it is dried if you fix something like a bracket or panel over it it seems to glue it on i.e. you need some force to remove the bit after you have taken off the fastener, by some force I mean a 2lb ball pein hammer and a cold chisel!

Caber

wilkingj - 13/10/05 at 07:33 PM

I agree.

Hammerite (hammered finish) is better than Smoothrite.

Chassis Black is Better still.

Trailer / Chassis Black from your Local Agricultural merchant is even better...
Thick Black goo.. and Pig Piss Proof, and that is the mutts nutts... or was it the pigs porkers

hammerite (both sorts) are very hard and wear well if correctly applied. However, they tend to chip a bit due to the hardness.

Chassis Black is very good.

I tend to spray the underside of my cars etc with Stone Chip where I want most protection. Its softer, and is almost self healing.