Board logo

Dick Turpin Lightweight 07 model
DRC INDY 7 - 2/4/07 at 02:29 PM

Looks like the guys at Dick turpin motors aka GBS formally know as Robin hood sports cars etc etc

Have now decided that the 2005 model lightweight was not enough and have now decide to revamp it and call it the lightweight 07 model i wonder if we will have the same dedication from the team when there are some slight problems

Here is the add from there website

BRAND NEW LIGHTWEIGHT TO BE LAUNCHED VERY SOON!!! THE NEW LIGHTWEIGHT WILL USE MANY OF THE SAME PANELS AS USED ON THE ORIGINAL LIGHTWEIGHT, IT WILL BE EVEN LIGHTER AND DIMENSIONALLY SIMILAR

THE LIGHTWEIGHT 07 WILL FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL RULE OF FUNCTIONALITY,SIMPLICITY AND COMPETITIVE PRICING- YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED-WATCH THIS SPACE

http://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/index.php

UncleFista - 2/4/07 at 02:48 PM

They have a new nosecone too.....

here

[Edited on 2/4/07 by UncleFista]

Mr Whippy - 2/4/07 at 02:51 PM

hmm and it looks quite fine too

the new lightweight, even lighter...baking foil perhaps, I hope it's a bit stronger than the last attempt.

[Edited on 2/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

arrybradbury - 2/4/07 at 02:52 PM

I think I've just been sick

DIY Si - 2/4/07 at 02:55 PM

Do we reckon this one'll pass the SVA? Or just be a shiny new version of the old death trap?

Mr Whippy - 2/4/07 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury

not like it? or have you had a long night out...

grahamgg - 2/4/07 at 03:00 PM

Where is the hood RS I can remember seeing the chassis at one of the shows last year,maybe they have been concentrating getting the lightweight sorted out.
But after the disaster over the original lightweight I would have dropped it..

iank - 2/4/07 at 03:02 PM

I've never bought anything from a company who doesn't know about the caps-lock. Don't think I'll start now.

The 'old' lightweight was heavier than many of the steel spaceframe+grp cars at 600kg for a zetec car.

As implied ^^^^, the proof of the car is in SVA passes.

p.s. don't like the new nose either

DIY Si - 2/4/07 at 03:12 PM

It wouldn't be too bad if it was a light weight car though. As said, a zetec lightweight still can in at ~ 600kgs which is not in the slightest bit light, merely about average. If you want light weight, go see MNR and buy a Vortex RT+ (I think), as it has a wet weight of <400 kgs.

Volvorsport - 2/4/07 at 03:57 PM

the only way to achieve good chassis stiffness using that method is using materials that arent lighteweight on your pocket .

a chap on the rhocar site got an early one passed thro an SVA with just reinforcement of the existing chassis .

Still , the two guys in charge who suck each others dicks for a living can merrily go on their way .

add the fatigue issue into it - and you might aswell spend on something thats of tube construction .

diyer - 2/4/07 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Mine passed, no real mods!

Gets a bit boring, especially from people who haven't even built a car yet!

Simon

[Edited on 2/4/07 by diyer]

iank - 2/4/07 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by diyer
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Mine passed, no real mods!

Gets a bit boring, especially from people who haven't even built a car yet!

Simon

I suspect the original comment was about the new nosecone.

graememk - 2/4/07 at 08:29 PM

i was told that the Lightweight in question failed due to poor build quality

arrybradbury - 2/4/07 at 09:19 PM

Indeed, my comment was based on the new nosecone (i.e I'm not a fan) but I make no judgements on robinhood as was or the car because I have no evidence to go by either way!

DRC INDY 7 - 2/4/07 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i was told that the Lightweight in question failed due to poor build quality

No just a poorly designd car that was blamed on poor build quality ............

RK - 3/4/07 at 12:52 AM

Well, at least they're trying new stuff. I don't like the nose personally. OK, I HATE the new nose, but somebody might like it.

scotty g - 5/4/07 at 05:14 PM

I always thought that the lighwieght had very nice proportions and had the potential to be very nice little car, shame it turned out to be mostly as good as old pants!
Nosecone-------Eeeeeeeewwwww!
Floor mounted pedal box-----not bad at all.

NS Dev - 5/4/07 at 11:12 PM

oooh and there'll be fun fun fun till the daddy takes the rivets away

locost_bryan - 13/4/07 at 04:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Nosecone-------Eeeeeeeewwwww!

They call it the RS - refreshingly honest!

Looks like it was designed by a committee.

The pointy bit at the top, and the vertical bar remind me of the shark-nose F1 Ferrari of the early '60s. The square bit at the bottom is completely out of place anywhere other than David Coulthard's jaw, and what's with the little ears on the side - as if they'll do anything to smooth the airflow around the suspension!

Now, if they made the bottom pointy like the top, and sloped the opening forward (make the top longer or the bottom shorter), then it might look OK.

Otherwise, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about sums it up.