Board logo

towing point
marshall - 8/10/03 at 06:51 AM

i am building a avon i would like to put a towing point to the frunt of the car has anyone fitted on yet if so what did you use and were did you get the bit from.or has anyone got a pic or know a web site witch has

JoelP - 8/10/03 at 09:35 AM

never done one myself, but logic says it goes on the bottom bars, either to one side or central, but where ever it goes add some bracing so that any load is passed well the the whole car.

also check the regs if you wanna go racing.

James - 8/10/03 at 11:22 AM

Have been considering something like this myself. Maybe it's worth just fitting a threaded bar of some sort and 'screwing-in' the toe-eye. Sort of thing Mondeo's etc. have?

HTH,

James

locoboy - 8/10/03 at 11:48 AM

Also conidered this too

i had the unfortunate clutch cable snapping experiance in the middle of the High street on Market day, and its a one way street.

My dad came to the rescue but it required the nose comming off before a rope could be attached to anything secure.

if you dont want the hassle of having to take the nose off to affix a tow rope you need to make sure the towing point is pretty low otherwise the rope will foul the underside of the nose cone due to the low nature of the car and the comapritively high towing point on the tow vehicle.

This upwards pressure could pretty easily crack the GRP round the mounting bolts.

or you could tow with a 60+ foot rope to over come this problem, plod wouldnt be too happy though!

Peteff - 8/10/03 at 12:35 PM

You could hold the rope between your teeth and tell the tow driver to go steady. The threaded idea sounds good, you could carry the eye in your toolbag.

yours, Pete.

locoboy - 8/10/03 at 12:41 PM

im one of the few who has a windscreen! so the bit between the teth is out for me! even though i look over it most of the time unless its raining and i try to squeeze down a bit!

Thinking of ripping it off come the spring.

ned - 8/10/03 at 12:49 PM

easy, tie the tow rope round the rollbar.
will probably miss windscreens (if fitted) too.

Ned.

locoboy - 8/10/03 at 01:30 PM

and risk taking the paint off the nice roll bar, rather pull me teeth out with it! not to mention the facial/windscreen injuries if it snapped!

friend of mine saw a chap loose his head many many years ago pulling a tree stump out with a tractor with no cab/roll bar and a steel rope,
mega torque.........snap......woosh.........awww you bas......thud...........squirt...squirt...squirt, not too pleasant i shouldnt think.

ned - 8/10/03 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
and risk taking the paint off the nice roll bar, rather pull me teeth out with it! not to mention the facial/windscreen injuries if it snapped!

Easy, whack some gaffa tape on the rollbar to protect the paintwork

Ned.

locoboy - 8/10/03 at 01:43 PM

and a gum shield for the teeth!

locoboy - 8/10/03 at 01:47 PM

and a gum shield for the teeth!

It would slide side to side on the roll bar anyway when the tow car went round a corner, turning right at mini roundabouts would proove interesting when the tow car ended up trying to pull you sideways by the roll bar!

Could be the first ignition off 4 wheel power slide!

JoelP - 8/10/03 at 02:08 PM

i suspect the law might frown upon towing it by the roll bar! one good way to end up facing the wrong way...!

why not just cut a hole in the nose cone? or is that blasphemy?!

[Edited on 8/10/03 by JoelP]

marshall - 9/10/03 at 05:59 AM

I was thinking of using a 'U' clamp the type you get on the exhaust.With a nut one side and a nylon nut on the end .

thanks for all your replyies

James - 9/10/03 at 10:15 AM

A guy at Donnington being pulled by the recovery truck tied it to the roll bar.

Truck slowed down a bit, car driver slammed brakes on and stopped dead. Truck carried on and once the slack in the rope was taken up the car 'jumped' forwards and the driver nearly got a face full of steering wheel!

James

Metal Hippy - 9/10/03 at 10:37 AM

If the car jumped forwards then surely he'd get thrown back into the seat?

Or am I missing one of the new laws of physics in my knowledge?

JoelP - 9/10/03 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
If the car jumped forwards then surely he'd get thrown back into the seat?

Or am I missing one of the new laws of physics in my knowledge?

you really need to keep up to date with these new laws as they come out hippy, you could find yourself on the wrong side of one if ur not careful. like falling up off the road when hitting a speed bump, could easily catch people unawares!

seriously though, maybe a rebound or something? like leaning forward to resist it and then headsbutting the front wheels as it slows again...

locoboy - 9/10/03 at 12:29 PM

or of course he was being towed backwards.

James - 10/10/03 at 08:44 AM

Oi Hippy,

You keep your laws of physics sh!t out of this! I know what we saw!

James

Metal Hippy - 10/10/03 at 08:52 AM

B'locks.

andyps - 10/10/03 at 11:21 PM

It is normal practice at Harewood hillclimb to tow broken cars with a rope around the roll bar - never had a problem so far, although it is not on road so no legal requirements to consider. Most of the drivers keep a hand on the rope just to stop it slacking over their heads.

JoelP - 11/10/03 at 10:09 AM

i suppose on a race track you dont have to go far or fast to get to the paddock, or wherever busted cars go.

wouldn't dream of letting someone tow me by the roll bar on a road though. no way hosay! i'll just put a normal towing eye on the front and cut a hole in the nose for it.

andyps - 11/10/03 at 07:54 PM

Joel - you are right about it not being far to the paddock - but I often think some drivers get their fastest time of the day when on the end of the rope!

I would agree about being towed by the rollbar on road however.

Ben_Copeland - 12/10/03 at 04:26 PM

Find a car down the breakers with a screw in towing eye..... put the towing eye in ya pocket, when you get home find 2 nuts that'll fit it. Weld them to the chassis tube of your choice, one either side (piece of mind stuff). Course it will need a hole in the tube

A Badger - 12/10/03 at 05:08 PM

Demon Tweeks sell these...

(See Picture below)

Shouldn't be too hard to make something similar.

Andrew Rescued attachment Towing Ring.gif
Rescued attachment Towing Ring.gif