Board logo

Rear Suspension Brackets - Where?
VinceGledhill - 20/10/03 at 08:46 AM

I understand that the book is wrong with regard of posisioning the rear suspension arm mounting brackets.

I understand that the distance between the bracket holes is 110mm but what about the bottom bracket?

Should this be 1.5 inches (38mm) up the M tube from the top of tube A2? to the centre of the hole on the first bracket?

I simply don't want to posision them in the wrong place and have the ride height at the back down or up in relation to the front.

JoelP - 20/10/03 at 10:37 AM

AFAIK, the vertical gap between the brackets on either side wants to be the same as the opposite gap on the live axle, so that upper and lower arms are parallel.

also, since the arms want to be level at the normal ride height, i would just measure the height of the brackets from the ground on the live axle, deduct the ride height desired, and measure that far up from the bottom of the chassis.

The final ride height can be adjusted on the coil overs, so all should be well! just want to be level and parallel. assuming you are doing live? good luck anyway!

Mark Allanson - 20/10/03 at 07:12 PM

Aha! the famous page 64 book error! The distance should be 4.3" as per page 72. The 5.75" I think comes from the distance from the upper hole to the top of the chassis.

I figured this out a little late as you can see, do you like the combined bracket/M tube strengthener - I thought that the full reaction BHP of the engine going through one little tube was asking alot. I also saw quite a few images of broken brackets on the net. Rescued attachment BookErrorNo3648.jpg
Rescued attachment BookErrorNo3648.jpg

Mark Allanson - 20/10/03 at 07:19 PM

...and the view from the inside (before I sussed out the 'Uncle Ron dun it again' Rescued attachment StrengthBracket.jpg
Rescued attachment StrengthBracket.jpg

VinceGledhill - 20/10/03 at 10:54 PM

Thanks Mark.... You are a real hero once again. What about measurements from the top of tubes A1/A2 to the centre of the hole of the bottom trailing arm? It's really that, that I'm after.

Mark Allanson - 21/10/03 at 06:49 PM

The height of the top hole should be 146mm above the top of tube A, the distance between the 2 holes is 110mm, so the bottom hole should be 36mm above A. Worth double checking the maths for your self, but thats what I made it.

Mark