Board logo

Making suspension brackets
andya - 11/7/02 at 08:20 PM

Hi All
I have been advised to buy some box section steel to make my brackets from but I cant find anyone who can supply 48 mm box. I have some 50mm box but this leaves a 2.5mm gap at each end of the bush which I guess is too much, the bracket will dwarf the bush. Any body with any ideas or information will have my unending gratitude as its holding up my build!!!!!!
Cheers
Andy

theconrodkid - 11/7/02 at 08:40 PM

been there ,bought the hero t shirt,buy the brackets,merlin makes them,darn site easier than making them.

interestedparty - 11/7/02 at 09:03 PM

I agree, making brackets when there are so many nice people who will sell them to you for so little money is not a good idea.

John

andya - 12/7/02 at 09:10 AM

Excuse my ignorance but who are Merlin and how can I contact them?

Cheers
Andy

interestedparty - 12/7/02 at 10:08 AM

quote:

Cheers
Andy

Not who are, who is. Go to 'member list' (top of page) and search for 'merlin'

John

JohnFol - 12/7/02 at 01:41 PM

AndyA I aim to do exactly the same thing, and make the brackets from 50mm box.

I think the book missed a trick. You need 50mm for the rear suspension bracket that mounts to the axle, so why not do as you suggest. When I got mine I had to buy a 7.5 m length for 2 lots of 16cm!!

JohnFol - 13/7/02 at 09:06 AM

PS, if you make the brackets 50mm you don't need washers . . .just increase the bush size to 50mm

ChrisW - 13/7/02 at 11:58 AM

quote:

Merlin is on merlin@locostbuilders.co.uk or try Dunc on dunc@locostbuilders.co.uk. I'd wager you couldn't buy the material for the price they would charge you.

Chris